Fairy Tale (L.Hunt) - Ten of Pentacles

Moonson

I confess i'm a bit disapointed with the soft color palet of the deck, in the AT deck page the colors seemed to be brighter, (well, not really disapointed, but i guess i'm still not used to it, because my other deck has brighter and "stronger" colors).

Yesterday, i made one card draw and got 10 of pentacles.
I don't remember any Fairy Tale that included a girl riding a polar bear (i'll read the story and what Lisa says later)... but, it imediatly reminded me of the movie "golden compass". In the movie, the girl (what's a her name.. ? ahnn...) gets to know a strong and brave polar bear and rides with him to free other kidnaped kids.

I got the feeling of freedom and of protection.
They are in the middle of the snow and the wind is strong. I say this because, the bear is almost stoped but the girl's hair is all flying. The weather is bad, but he is a polar bear right(?), it's his natural habitat, so nothing can go wrong and he can protect the girl.
I can't really explain the freedom feeling, maybe it's because they are in the wild, in the midle of nature or maybe because she is riding bear and can go anywhere in that cold snow or (maybe) it's because of the movie...

that's all i can get for now... i guess there's lots more, the castle in the back for example, what you guys think about it?
hope you can help me with more from this card

DragonFae

I know what you mean about the colors not being bright but I have truly grown to love the softer nature of the cards...its a compelling quailty actually.

The Ten of Pentacles...The girl and the polar bear....I get a sense of adventure...perhaps one that the girl is not quite ready for but she is going on it none the less. The bear is rather friendly but an unknown....he is in his element in the snow world so the girl must rely upon him but at the same time she does not know the true nature of the bear. The world is cold and perhaps dangerous but still she is going forth...

Surja76

I also do not know the fairy tale belongs to this card. But I can describe it from the point of view of the Greek Myth.
White bear belongs to the constellation Ursa. The child (girl on her back) is Ursa Minor.

We can see three stars on the snow. Number 3 belongs to the Empress card.

Due to the old Myth, Ursa is Kallisto. She was killed by Artemida because she was not able to keep innocence. Zeus who was fallen in love with Kallisto, has decided to protect the Child of Kallisto she had in her body, turned her to Ursa and placed in the sky. So that Ursa and Ursa Minor appeared in the Sky.

This bear-mother is protection her child on the card.

So that in practical meaning this card means the child, protection of the child, material support of the child, heir and inheritance.

F.M. Tarot

The fairytale is East of the Sun West of the Moon, it's a norwegian fairytale and has always been a favorite of mine! You can read the full tale here: http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/norway034.html Didn't your tarot decks come with the companion book? The tale is right in there.

DragonFae

Yes....I knew the fairytale...was East of the Sun West of the Moon but I thought Moonson wanted a visual intuitive interpretation of the card before exploring the book and the fairy tale...lol....so that's the direction I headed!!!

I like to explore the cards in several ways..

1. Visual, intuitive, free flow thoughts
2. Read fairy tale....add depth based on fairy tale, ideas that pop up..fairytale lesson I think of, etc.
3. Read book (Lisa's ideas) about card meaning...add those to my thoughts
4. Add in other factors and meanings like Surja76 did....adds another dimension. So I look at number, element, history of fairytale, meanings in tarot in general etc.

that's just the way I do it...

Moonson

Yes, Dragonfae, you got it right. I have the companion book, but I'm trying a new aproach to this deck, and forcing myself not to pick the book first - i loove to read!! I'm going more or less like your method... 1st "Visual, intuitive, free flow thoughts" then i read fairy tale and what Lisa says about it.
hm.. adventure! i agree with you! Thx for the fresh look.

Thanks for sharing your view Surja76! it's a great help! "White bear belongs to the constellation Ursa" - didn't knew this...

I read the tale last night, and got the feeling of "going against the odds", and of persistence, because the girl in the tale forces herself to keep going despite of the vague answers she gets along the way

Genna

This is one of my favourite cards. It reminds me of a similar Norweigean story; White Bear King Valemon, where the bear asks -Have you ever sat more comfortably, have you ever seen anything more lovely? -No,never, says the youngest girl. -Then you are the right one, says the bear.

Edited; Grammar.

silverwings94

I just received this deck yesterday and I drew a card to see what would be in store for me and I to drew the Ten of pentacles.
My first thought was also of the Golden Compass. Until I read the Fariy tale.
So far I really like this deck, Iam going to show this to my youngest daughter (22) who is just starting to get involved with Tarot and see what she thinks of it. She may get a copy for Yule.
Kat

Onaorkal

I also thought about His Dark Material (The Golden Compass) when I saw the card for the first time! (my girlfriend as well)

With intuition alone, I wouldn't have guessed the story at all and I would have a hard time understanding how this scene could represent the typical 10 of Pentacles very well.

Now, I took the time to read the whole tale (shared earlier in this thread) and everything makes so much more sense.

The best few keywords I would use to describe the 10 of Pents are : family, home, wealth.

Here is how the story relates to those concepts, from my perspective :
-The little girl was ready to sacrifice herself to an unknown destiny so that her family would get out of misery.
-She was ready to go through many hardships to get her prince back and finally be happy with him.

The morals of the story :
-Sacrifices are often needed to achieve happiness, security and wealth.
-Life is full of hardships, but the final goal is worth it.

Instead of showing the finality, like most 10 of Pents depict when following the GD system, this card is showing part of the process, when the destiny is still unknown. We can see that the young girl is not showing fear on her face, despite her precarious situation. She has faith that in the end things will work out fine. Funny how this card is the last one of the deck and reminds me of the Fool (Innocence in this deck), which is the first card of the deck. It's like an eternal cycle ;)