Nicoletta Ceccoli - Ten of Discs

Hemera

The name of the original artwork by Nicoletta Ceccoli (from 2013) is "Mary Go Round". There is a two coloured blue and yellow ball and a pink lego brick that are cut out from the card.

Mary is riding on a blue donkey that suddenly bolts and jumps away from the merry go round. The giraffe, bee and elephant continue happily going around and don't seem to notice the escaping donkey. (Or maybe the elephant notices something?)
Mary looks a bit surprised and we can't be sure if she manages to stay on the running animal's back. But I'm guessing she will soon gain her balance and enjoy the ride.

What I see in this card is not so much excess of prosperity and material wealth but excess of energy. There is too much energy to be contained in the merry-go-round and so it is catapulted off to other orbits. Seems like there is no limit to what she can achieve (as the LWB says) but mostly it's thanks to the energy at her disposal (in the form of the bolting steed) than any material wealth she has.
This card can traditionally (RWS) mean old and valuable items, inherited possessions and traditions, and as a toy a merry-go-round is certainly an old invention. Maybe this girl's parents and grandparents have been riding this same one?

LWB:
There is no limit to what you can achieve now. Material prosperity may come to you in unexpected ways, especially through the help of others.
Key concepts: Breaking through limitations, victory, financial growth.

Attachments

• Mary Go Round.jpg
    Mary Go Round.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 458

Kat Moon

I like your interpretation of this card. I see it a bit different.

To me Mary is not surprised at all. She is bored of the same thing in and out every day. I think that she pushed and finally jumped off the merry go round. She is ready to do something different. Something that she knows that she will be more successful with. Ready to not be held back by what she "should" be doing.

I think it is a personal victory to break free of this ride. Not something that was done to her (by the donkey being the one to jump off).

Hemera

Oh, this is why I love these Study Groups! You get new ideas and new ways to look at a card. I like your interpretation, too. It goes straight to my notebook :thumbsup:

ana luisa

Feeling like reviving this post :)
I agree with Kat Moon as far as the rebellion touch is concerned. It is a given that Nicoletta likes to use a lot of circular, round allegories. To me, this card is about leaving the nest. And depending on the other cards, being seen as the black sheep. If you notice, the girl and her donkey are the only piece of this carrousel that does not have a mast pinning them down. The other "members" of this merry-go-round may be her family, her work colleagues, a CIRCLE where she was put into but decided to abandon (cause there's nothing merry about living in a rotating device) . This person is not only unwilling to withstand belonging to a group forever and living in a rut but is also keen on "saving"others from this destiny. By escaping the carrousel, the girl is taking the burden away from the donkey as well. Besides, as the name given by the author to this work was "Mary go round", I keep thinking about the famous nursery rhyme Mary, quite contrary. She is there to be different and most probably, to make a difference !

Hemera

Besides, as the name given by the author to this work was "Mary go round", I keep thinking about the famous nursery rhyme Mary, quite contrary. She is there to be different and most probably, to make a difference !
The Nicoletta Ceccoli original artwork for the King of Swords is called "Contrary Mary".

ana luisa

The Nicoletta Ceccoli original artwork for the King of Swords is called "Contrary Mary".

Wow... didn't know that ! Thanks for sharing :)