Mystical Cats Tarot - Four of Sea (Cups)

Onaorkal

We can see a black and white cat straddling the trunk of a dead tree, a seemingly sad look displayed on their face and their tail hanging low on their side. They don't seem to notice the unusual spectacle going on behind them. 4 blue lobsters are standing upright, with their claws outstretched in the air. The scene is taking place on a beach at sunrise or sunset and the lobsters are by the seaside and are facing towards the Sun.
The sand is of a pale beige color, the sea is calm and dark blue, the horizon line is pink with some orange and yellow and the sky color ranges from pale to dark blue. A few clouds are visible, along with some bright stars.

Colors : Lower half is neutral (mostly beige) and upper half is cold (mostly shades of blue).

I think this representation of the 4 of Cups is even more straight-forward than the typical RWS depiction. This cat truly doesn't look happy and this clear apathy prevents them from noticing and appreciating something rather interesting/magical/special going on in their surroundings.
It's also a feeling most people can relate to, even the most enthusiastic and cheerful ones. Whatever the reason or cause, we all have those days where we don't feel like doing anything, even our favorite activity might appear bothersome!
Also, in a spread about a choice that needs to be made, this card can be interpreted as ''f you don't see a choice you like, don't choose yet.''

Symbolism :

Body position : Everything in this cat screams boredom or lack of energy. Some cats might like to rest/sleep in that position, but they would usually lay their head on the side or even put their forehead on the ground and they would close their eyes. The cat here looks wide awake but totally uninterested in their surroundings.

Dead tree : As trees typically symbolize life and connection to Earth, wisdom and spiritual growth, a dead tree would likely symbolize the opposite. In our case, it could easily represent absence of energy/movement/progress, detachment or a lack of connection to reality.

Number 4 (lobsters, stars) : This number symbolizes solid foundations and stability, which could be related to being motionless ; in other words, an absence of activity.

Blue lobsters : Being creatures of the sea, lobsters are associated with the Water element and therefore with the emotional realm. The lobsters we can see here are blue, which adds to this symbolic aspect, as this color is often connected with emotions.
Also lobsters, like other animals with a shell, might symbolize introvertness/internalization.

Beach/seashore : Represents the meeting point between the conscious and unconscious mind.

Sea/ocean : Symbolizes life and emotions. In this case the waters seem to be pretty calm with no wave, which could symbolize emotions which are stable and not intense.

Sunrise/sunset : Might symbolize the 'in-between' moment separating the day from the night, the conscious from the unconscious, the beginning from the end.

Sky : Represents freedom and the infinity.

Night : Time associated with passiveness and introspection.

Stars : Represent goals, faith, inspiration, spiritual self and hope. The cat is ignoring them (like they're ignoring the dancing lobsters).

Clouds : Represent thoughts. I would consider them more diffuse and transparent than white, so it might be reflective of diffuse and non-focused thinking.

empress's dress

golly, for months I have meant to comment on your amazingly pointed observations of these cards! thank you for this. today i finally chime in.

I would say it is still sunset. or it could be sunrise ;). but it is definitely one of the 2. but it is a strange card because on the one hand the sky does suggest night but on the other the tree trunk and lobsters have shadows and they are not moon shadows. so it can't be night. not yet. not even dusk. it is still sunrise or sunset - one around the winter solstice. but i always think that sunset and the shadows when i see this card are underscoring that this frame of mind mr. cat is in is truly fleeting, passing state of exhaustion or sadness or whatever heavy preoccupation be it physical or mental putting him in a state like that -- it could be a she-cat, btw.

and about the sea. i can't help but think of homer's epithet for the sea -- wine dark or literally wine-faced. and that epithet can take on a litany of meanings.

i would say the cats position suggests boredom, illness, lack of energy, depression and it lacks many of the over/undertones of the rws 4 of cups. it is so different from rws. the rws 4 of cups seems to suggest everything from meditation, to zealous concentration to rejecting a gift. i don't get these ideas in this card which is so much more about just feeling bad or listless.

empress's dress

about the blue lobsters.

they seem to be chorus dancing. there is something magical about it. there is an uplifting message to this card if it catches you as the most important image of the card. that the seemingly impossible may be possible.

or the blue lobsters can be a figment of the imagination of the cat. they aren't really there. but he is really hungry and can't stop day dreaming of having something to eat.

Onaorkal

hello empress's dress! nice to see you around!

I am also leaning towards sunset, but since I couldn't be sure I preferred to mention both. You're right, the lighting and shadows make it ambiguous!

Also yes it could be a female, that's why I decided to use neutral pronouns when the gender is not specified in the book! :)

I really love this card, the lobsters really make it look magical! ♡