Which deck is popular like Rider Waite?

amitjain123

Hi, I own the Rider waite and happy with it despite owning few new decks that I dont connect with. I would like to know of any other decks that tarot readers use that has just good imagery with symbolism that helps decode the answers and are quite popular. Please share.

astronautica

Hi there amitjain!
If you check this link here http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/topten.shtml, it will show you a list of the decks voted most popular by Aeclectic Tarot members in 2013, with links to the top 10 lists for each year before. If you browse around the tarot decks forum as well, you'll be able to read discussions that other tarot readers are having about current tarot decks, which may help you to decide :) There are so many beautiful decks out there, and this forum can be a little dangerous in enabling those looking to buy more haha :)
Hope this helps, and good luck in your search!

Richard

The Ancien Tarot de Marseile by Grimaud is the 'Rider-Waite' of Marseille type decks. As far as I know, it is the most popular Tarot deck used for divination in France, and probably in other European countries as well. The pip cards are non scenic, but usually only the Trumps are used. I know this is not the sort of answer you are looking for, but it is an option well worth considering.

Grizabella

The Thoth. I think it's RWS, Thoth and Marseilles are the "big three".

Forester70

I agree with Grizabella

Joshua

Are you after a deck which is easy to read for yourself? Or just one that is popular enough to get hold of?

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/beginner.shtml

This lists ones which are suitable for starting out. The Robin Wood is quite blatant in its symbolism making it an easy starting deck, but not everyone likes the cartoon type style.

Richard

Q

Hi, I own the Rider waite and happy with it despite owning few new decks that I dont connect with. I would like to know of any other decks that tarot readers use that has just good imagery with symbolism that helps decode the answers and are quite popular. Please share.

Aquarian
Morgan Greer
Hanson Roberts

These, as well as most clones, preserve the symbolism of the Rider without too much dilution. Most Rider-Waite clones subtract rather than add to the original symbolism, often because the authors do not wish to research the reason for the original images. I don't blame them. })

foolMoon

I concur with The Aquarian. Once I did not have the deck, and somehow I was losing the chance to get one repeatedly. I thought that it will be deck I will never have. But how wrong I was. Now I have 3 packs, and use them daily.

FLizarraga

Actually, while the Rider Waite tradition or style is popular and the de facto standard for a lot of people --particularly in the English-speaking world-- the deck itself is not equally popular. Most people use either clones or modern decks that follow the RWS tradition.

I agree with LRichard's list, and would only add Kat Black's Golden Tarot. I see you live in India, and perhaps medieval Christian imagery is not your cup of tea (surrounded as you are by even richer and more ancient religious and artistic traditions), but perhaps you could give it a shot.

I also agree with LRichard and Grizabella in that RWS is not the only Tarot tradition. It could be worthwhile to try either a Marseille deck (the de facto standard for most of the non-English speaking world, which means A LOT of people) or the Thoth itself, and see where those cards take you. :)