Tarot of the Cat People

catti

If you chance to go to Mesa Arizona the Mesa Southwest Museum has a Karen Kuykendall collection.

http://www.cityofmesa.org/swmuseum/colart.aspx
no pics on that link

But you can see the cat people dolls she made here:
http://www.costumecon.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=1377

Here is a costume designed, constructed and worn by her, The Empress:
http://www.costumecon.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=7222

Whatever one may think of the deck, this lady had a complete vision. If she been creating this now, she would be a force on the internet.

Azure_Skye

I just purchased this deck after having a dream that I was looking at it in a store. I really love the feel of the deck! Very beautiful.

Zedrex

This is my go-to deck! I purchased it in 1988 or something and it's been my main deck ever since - especially for professional readings where I have to ensure that the images are "user friendly"... and people love this one.

I sometimes think that maybe this one is too "shallow" and look for something to replace it with, but it's actually an extraordinarily good deck that I've always had great results from.

I might have to replace it soon... my copy is incredibly worn and weathered :)

HudsonGray

Good luck trying to find a low cost one, the deck is a collectible now and not cheap.

FLizarraga

Do you mean the movie with Natasha Kinski? meow!

Forty years before Nastassja Kinski, there was Simone Simon. Watch THAT movie. It's not perfect, but it's sheer genius.

Good luck trying to find a low cost one, the deck is a collectible now and not cheap.

Actually, you can find even the 1985 edition for very cheap, at least in the US. I got both deck (first ed) and book for less than $13.

rylla

Oh! I thought it's just me who appreciate this deck; glad to hear otherwise -
and for me it's easy to read with it.

Reyan

Oh! I thought it's just me who appreciate this deck; glad to hear otherwise -
and for me it's easy to read with it.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of dislike of this deck. It's one of the first I ever purchased, and I love it! It's a pretty simple deck imagery wise, but very easy to read with, with lovely artwork. The world building aspect of it is interesting too :)

Dark Victory '39

cat people dolls? Dang it

...that's right up my alley. i had this deck for a season when i was fairly new to tarot, and i really was fascinated by the peppermill-esque wands, and loved their green jade color (although not v. fiery). my sister said the whole deck reminded her of phyllis diller and cruella deville. yes, strange longings of misplaced nostalgia are now radiating from its weird lunar landscape; i think that's ultimately what i thought of all the strange abnormal suit colorings; the palette is v. lunar in feel. but cats from outer space, what are you going to do?

Morwenna

I've had my copy for years; but believe it or not, I've never read with it! I'm fascinated by the world of the deck, and more recently I got the companion book, but I've only studied it and looked through it and so on a number of times. And I do love the artwork! I can also see the RWS influence in many cards, and it seems that they would read well. But lazy creature that am, I can't offer any advice on actual reading.

Hooked on TdM

Odd to find this thread resurrected now! This was my very first deck. I couldn't read with it whatsoever back then. A few years after, I dated a complete jerk who would have burned all my tarot cards on me. So I handed them over to my best friend. 20 odd years later and she's bringing them back to me. :)

Now I see the images online and get flashes off them! Can't wait to see what they are like in person after all these years!

I do have a question for you guys. I've read that they could be rws based, tdm based, or a marriage between the two. I know about the outer realms. So what do you guys think it's closest too?

Being between the two would kinda be awesome for me since I have almost no experience with rws. However with the outer realms aspect, I almost feel its unfair to consider this deck to be based off anything but her amazing visions of another dimension. :)