New Thoth Tarot book.

avalonian

I haven't heard of him but on the Amazon site, if you click on the "look inside" link there is a really long sample of the book. As it is available on the Kindle for less than three pounds I think I'll give it a go.

:) :) :)

Eowyn Annwyl

I was curious and had a look. This book is self-published, and reads like it. It starts with the word 'well' -- 'Well first of all we need to ask, why did magical societies like the Golden Dawn use divination like the Tarot? Actually before that we need to ask, what is the function of these societies?' Meh.

I skimmed the lengthy extracts available for viewing. Stick with Lon Milo DuQuette. Or even old Uncle Al himself.

Always Wondering

At first glance I am actually kind of liking it. True it's informal and the grammar/punctuation off, but when does that ever stop me? :laugh:

I wouldn't buy it for the Gematria Chapter alone. He admits he's not well versed and seems to think that the Emperor/Tzaddi switch is a "revert back to the old sequence", even though he seems to have a grasp on the New Aeon.

I will have to give it a full read, but seems it might be promising as a introductory text, as there is a lot in one place, I am already wishing I'd had it when I first started out.

Give me a few days, and I will post of full review.

AW

nicky

Give me a few days, and I will post of full review.

AW

This could be the answer for a holiday gift that I need to buy for someone that has so many occult books decks etc that somethign new if any good would be a great surprise....

Nicky

Always Wondering

According to his acknowledgements, Henry Ho is a young man in his early twenties of Chinese heritage and belongs to the London Tarot Study Group. This book, he says, is his exercise book containing all his homework. He has done all his theory and has just begun his practice.

He has done his homework better than I. He has a way of grasping these huge concepts and relaying them in a way that I can see a bigger picture than I could before. He uses a lot of examples and though not all of them clicked with me, there was usually one per chapter that did, and I feel I have a better understanding from reading him.

This is not a typical, well edited, politically correct book on Thelema, as such as DeQuette or Shoemaker. Ho is very forthright and doesn't seem as near mysterious as DeQuette sometimes does. Sometimes I get the feeling that Thelemic authors are holding back, letting me come to my own conclusions, while Ho just gives me his. I liked that. I can take it or leave it and he says as much quite often.

I would recommend this book to anyone, unless they are terribly thinned skinned. Ho is bound to insult some readers, because he doesn't hold himself back or wasn't edited out.

This book is just so wide I have trouble knowing how to critique it further, but would be happy to answer any questions. I couldn't find any mistakes in his grasp of theory and he is very well read, quoted the Book of Law often, and often encourages further study. His astrology chapter is Vedic, but he says applies to western. I am not versed enough to agree or disagree.

AW

yogiman

Thanks AW, I just ordered the book. Is there also a special chapter about divination?

daphne

Thank you for the review, it interests me, especially if it is not written in an obscure esoteric way.

Richard

I read the sample from the Introduction that they had on Amazon. I don't see how it could be offensive to anyone, but it was soporific enough to make for good bed time reading.