Favorite Thoth Card & Why?

Chiska

Pretty silly question, but with all the threads about connections to the cards and whatnot, I thought that it might help others if people shared which Thoth card was their favorite and maybe explain why.

My favorite card is the Two of Cups. To me this card seems so hopeful. This card fills me with endless possibilities as the water endlessly cycles. It comes from a single source, divides, and then returns to the source.

I suppose that it is like raw emotion that has finally taken on focus. It isn't a broad focus, but it is still something outside one's self, yet still part of one's self.

I can stare at it for hours.

Zephyros

My favorite is Adjustment. She is supposed to be the consort of the Fool, and is such a beautiful and sublime representation of cause and effect because of this, that the card is truly moving to contemplate. The Fool goes forth and causes an immediate reaction in the form of Adjustment, and then she gives birth to a Fool, who comes back to her. This is a cosmic romance in its most exalted and breathtaking form.

Lilianne

What a difficult question! I'd have a problem disassociating the art from the card's meaning so it's probably XXI. I do feel it embraces the completion of everything in readiness for renewal. Also it's the first path "upward" so I know it very well.

Chiska

closrapexa, your description of Adjustment is exactly why I started this thread! What a beautiful description and it really helped with my own understanding of the card.

Lilianne, for you, do you find that you have a different aesthetic favorite than one based on its meaning? I think that aesthetically, I would choose the Devil. But like I said, the card that is my favorite because of the art, the meaning, the whole package, is still the Two of Cups.

Barleywine

Oh boy, this is like asking which of my teeth I like best . . . the obvious answer being "All of 'em!" From a purely aesthetic standpoint it would have to be . . . umm, Fortune for the aura of utter stillness in the midst of violent motion that it conveys (but the "dance" of Death is pretty evocative too). From the standpoint of "wisdom-teaching" (I hate calling anything "esoteric" since it's so "New-Age-y"), I would have to say Art: it's the only Major that caused me to step back take a long, hard look, and write my own definitions, attempting to meld the Book of Thoth and Paul Foster Case's GD-based insights. It was the only way I could "ground" the alchemical notions for my use in readings.

Terrapin

This is a hard question to answer. I think the Thoth is THE most consistently visually stunning deck there is clear across its breadth. Even my least visually favorite card, The Fool, is still fabo.

My fave from an artistic standpoint is the Empress. Just simply beautiful. The greens, the blues, the rose of her clothing. The two moons... I'd put this art on my wall.

My favorite for the vibe it conveys is probably the Hierophant. It's refreshingly different from the starchy pontiffs depicted in other decks, less dogmatic, more mystical.

LeahG

Hard to choose - I love them all

If I am pushed to make a choice, I think the Queen of Wands; she looks amazing. And the ace of cups for its pure beauty.

LeahG

Terrapin;3881120 My favorite for the vibe it conveys is probably the Hierophant. It's refreshingly different from the starchy pontiffs depicted in other decks said:
I agree; those other Heirophants are too stuffy :)

Laura Borealis

It's hard to choose, but the Princess of Discs wins out. I love the branches that frame her, and the way some of the curves line up with folds in her cloak, so they seem to radiate out from within her as well as behind. The way the branches arc and cross each other make me think of loosely-sketched versions of the Seed of Life and Flower of Life. The folds of her cloak at her feet seem to root into the ground like the tree trunks next to her.

I know she's the earth of earth, the lowest card of the lowest suit, but that means she's the beginning of the next cycle, right? She's, like, the potentiality of everything. It's winter where she is right now, but it's about to be spring, leaves are about to bust out on those branches and that golden light around her will go green and alive.

ravenest

All of them too ... A favourite however is 4 discs.

A nice balanced 4 , time for some practical down to Earth advice. The power comes from being in the world and in one's 'sacred space', how to manage it. The 4 towers are the watchtowers of the elements, the suits, the magical tools and the parts of the psyche, they must all be there and balanced. Inside the 'castle' is your ground, sacred space, sanctum sanctorum. It is walled and defended by a moat but there is a drawbridge. One must venture out into the world, and invite aspects of the world in, the drawbridge reminds me that we need to manage that; when we go out, when we stay in, when it is appropriate to let someone one or an energy in or not according to time, place, person and self (another four); when to have the bridge up or down.

The moat, water, has interesting symbolism. Is it just an obstacle or does it represent the unconscious ... if so the sanctuary may lie 'inside' it.

Perhaps I look at it this way as I am quiet Lunarian ( 0 deg Cancer natal Sun) and the idea of the home and inner home and comfort in my desired environment are important to me ... but I am also Mercurial so I also want to venture forth and seek new stimulations. Interesting that it shows the Sun and Capricorn ... opposite mine. I assume it is a case of either my subjective influence on what I think the image means or the 'dynamics of opposites' are at play.