Crystal Skull collecting

Tarotphelia

Rosanne said:
Thank you for your family of skulls portrait- I did not realise how individual the individuals could be :D .

Oh yes, just as anything carved by the human hand there are endless variations of expression and vibration. That's part of the fun of skull hunting !

Rosanne said:
I have just one skull now- it is true Lapis lazuli and appears to be smaller than any of yours.

The largest skull I have is the clear quartz one in the middle, which is about 3" long.

Rosanne said:
I think on reflection I like the crystals better than the solid minerals; but I love my skull. Her name is Ahura Mazda. I named her after the protective spirits of Zoroastrianism, the 'Yazatas' and she is a celestial yazatas; Mazzie for short.

The crystals vs the minerals attraction will fluctuate depending on your needs and what you intend to use them for . I think that is a fantastic name you have chosen !

bodhran said:
Do you name your skulls, or do they seem to name themselves?

A little of both I think. Something will just pop into my head, or in the case of Arizona and Seneca, the names of the places they came from seemed to fit them.

stella01904 said:
MM ~ D.I., you had mentioned some time ago that your smokey quartz skull had darkened.

Maybe smokey quartz adapts to our energy, somehow. Just an added suggestion, since it obviously wasn't an omen of bad tidings that made the skull darken, and I'm sure the temperature in your home is quite moderate, nowhere near extreme enough to alter stone!

Umm- but the temperature in my refrigerator is not ! I will sometimes put stones in the refrigerator to chill them and clear them , and I think that is how the stone got darker . I will also put them in the sun, and I don't know if that had a darkening effect on the smokey quartz or not. But I think heating it to a certain temperature in an oven is supposed to lighten it again. I am afraid to try that though. Carnelian is a stone that will get darker and redder in the sun .

stella01904

Dark Inquisitor said:
Umm- but the temperature in my refrigerator is not ! I will sometimes put stones in the refrigerator to chill them and clear them , and I think that is how the stone got darker .
MM ~ Interesting! I'll have to experiment with that. I should have some little tumbled smokies around. :) I have a larger piece, but it's my scrying sphere, best not to monkey with it.
I will also put them in the sun, and I don't know if that had a darkening effect on the smokey quartz or not.
I don't think so. A place where I used to buy my tumbled stones kept them at a sunny window. They don't seem darker than the smokies from other places.
But I think heating it to a certain temperature in an oven is supposed to lighten it again. I am afraid to try that though.
Mercy no, it could crack like glass! Perish the thought!
Carnelian is a stone that will get darker and redder in the sun .
Interesting! All these color changes! The stories I usually hear are less down-to-earth and along the lines of: "if you wear turquoise and it gets pale, your spouse is cheating", "an emerald will jump out of its setting to warn you of danger"...etc.
BB, Stella

thatonegirl

Could someone please PM me a link for where you get these?

DeLani

I'm resurrecting this thread because I just saw a thing on the Travel channel about this very thing...
A bit of background: I am *very* drawn to Mesoamerican cultures, especially Mayan and Totonac. Every vacation I've taken to Mexico has been to visit ruins. Also, I'm really big into crystals.
So, when I first heard about crystal skulls, I was intrigued. But they seemed very "flaky," in that everyone had a different opinion about their origins (the most common being Atlantis) and their purpose.
But, this show on the Travel Channel (it was about the world's strangest places, and had stuff on crop circles and UFO's), had a lot of info on the Crystal Skulls. They are Mayan in origin - or at least that's where they were found. The Mayan tradition says there are 13, and only 7 or 8 have been found. The first one was found by Mitchell-Hedges, a Canadian woman, in the 1920's in Belize while she was with her husband on an archeological dig. She sent it to a lab for testing & dating, and it flabbergasted the testers. They could find no tool marks to date the skull by. Even if it had been melted & cast, the cast would have tool marks (and it is pretty obviously not cast directly from a human skull).
It's wild...now I'm absolutely obsessed with finding out everything about these skulls. Who knows, maybe the next time I'm in Mayaland, I might find the next crystal skull...

stella01904

MM ~ Welcome!

Now duck, quickly!!! Here comes an onslaught of posts saying that Mitchell-hedges was made by a german!

I love the skulls. There is MUCH flakiness around them, stories of Atlanteans, Lemurians, space people....they have all been credited with making crystal skulls. As has the anonymous german.

They feel very Indian to me. They are an Indian artifact. IMHO it is pure racism to say that such an object was created by Atlanteans, ET's, or "a german" - anyone but the people who HAD them.

There is a lot of unsolvable mystery around them. We will never know how they were made. There are a lot of other things we will never know, either, due to the gross misconduct of those old spanish explorers.

I bought a couple of little (contemporary, Brazilian - though I'd love to own a Tibetan one, too!) skulls and I much enjoy working with them - they are boon companions! I just don't read about them much any more. Too crazy.
BB, Stella

DeLani

I agree with you - it does smack of racism to try to attribute something so remarkable and advanced with imaginary beings, space aliens, and anyone else *except* the people who actually have them. The Mayans were surprisingly advanced. I've been to some of the ruins and the energy there is *incredible.* I have only the highest respect for them and their culture.

DeLani

I'm going to Sedona soon...I'm hoping to get a good crystal skull and charge it up in a vortex there! Wish me luck!

FantasyWorld

Just won my 1st crystal skull on Ebay....it's a dalmation jasper.....can't wait until it gets here;)