Saturn in 5th House query?

sapienza

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have a particular interest in Astrology as well as the Tarot.

I am interested to get some opinions on one feature of my own natal chart and see if anyone else has a similar situation. I have Saturn in my 5th house (in Gemini). I also have Sun, Mercury and Jupiter in Sagittarius (in 11th house), Moon, Venus in Capricorn (in 12th house) and Asc in Capricorn as well, and Mars in Pisces.

I have always been quite sure I wouldn't have any children, and had basically decided that I just wasn't going to have any. I am currently 30 and at the age when people around me are starting to have children and from time to time it seems like not such a bad idea. But then suddenly, I am totally overwhelmed by an intense FEAR of becoming a mother. It is the fear of responsibility that I think gets to me. It's so difficult to explain. I worry about whether I'll be good enough, and if I'm psychologically balanced enough, but more than anything, whether I'll be able to cope with the enormous responsibility of caring for someone dependent on me. And I feel ill thinking of having to devote the next 20 years of my life to someone elses need.

Sorry, I think I'm starting to ramble on a bit here. It does drive me crazy from time to time. My query relates to Saturn being in the 5th house. I have read that this can mean not having children, or having lots of difficulty raising children, or having a great fear of the responsibility of having children. Is this the case? Would it be better to accept this (as I thought I had) and just give motherhood a miss in this lifetime, or am I getting it wrong?

Again, I apologise that this post has become so long-winded. I would appreciate any comments or thoughts.

Many Thanks
angela

AquarianGoddess

Hi Angela,

Welcome to the astrology forum.

Saturn in the 5th has many, many meanings (as it does in any of the houses) and doesn't necessarily mean one will be void of having children.

As I see it, your fear may be stemming from your Moon in Capricorn (in the 12th), then enhanced by Saturn in the 5th. Having a child is a huge decision for anyone as it comes with a lifetime of responsibility. No one that I know is a "born parent". We've all learned how to raise children by making mistakes and in my view, luck is a big factor in how a child turns out.

Your 11th house planets are very indicative of step-children and perhaps through them, your fears of having your own children will dissapate.

Warmly,
AG

Minderwiz

Hi Angela,

Saturn does have some connection to fear, mainly through its role as the bringer of structure, boundary, limit and responsibility. Saturn's role is to enable us to see both what we can do but also what is beyond us - in that sense Saturn is a teacher. Fear tends to be associated with a loss of control and Saturn is very much concerned with control. Saturn is also associated with father figures or with older people (usually males).

As AG said the fifth House covers many things - children are one of them but it is also the House of romance and also the House of play. It may well be that your need for structure and responsibility lies here - Saturn in the fifth can mean responsibility for other people's children, it can mean that a person requires structure and control in terms of romantic relationships, or simply that their primary instinct is to act responsibly in terms of their relationships or (for females) that they tend to have relationships with older men.

People with this position who do have children may feel that the child needs a structure and framework in which to operate, leading to conflicts when the child rebels against that structure. The lesson is to realise that there is a difference between structure and straight jacket or complete control.

The message is not to avoid having children but to recognise that you will have a tendency to want to control and structure their lives which they may well rebel against - build your structures with room for the child to grow and explore and to itself begin to take on responsibilities as it grows and you will make a wonderful mother. Saturn actually is a caring planet - not in a soft way but in bringing you face to face with your fears and responsibilities and to get you to grow and develop as a person by accepting them, rather than hiding from them.

I'm not trying to say go off and have kids but I am saying that saying Saturn is in a bad position so best not bother is not what the position means. There are plenty of reasons why people may choose not to have children but make sure your reasons are positive not negative.

With love

Minderwiz

sapienza

Hi AquarianGoddess and Minderwiz,

Thanks for your responses to my post. I appreciate your insights. I am actually a teacher and so this fits in with being responsible for children.

I guess I'll know when the time is right if I am to be a mother or not. It's just such an enormous decision isn't it?

Thanks again
Angela

Minderwiz

Angela,

Yes it is an important decision but as long as you approach it without fear you will make the right decision for you.

I wish you all the best when the time does come to make that decision - I'm sure you will make the best choice for yourself.

Minderwiz