Singing Bowls

stonesatiety

Congrats on your new/old bowl! They can be quite a journey. When I meditate with my bowl, I either hold Estyria in my hands by the handle as I mentioned, or place my hands on her before me, handle up. I never tire of the warm, loving energy that flows first into my heart. The inside is clear and shiny, with ripples like water, so I enjoy gazing inside too.

Thanks for your post! Estyria sits out all the time once again. Sully the Akita likes to touch his nose to the side. ha! The dog, cat and I love to bask in the soothing, healing, crystal bowl energy.

The Happy Squirrel

Glad you took your bowl out again StoneSateity! The sound is soothing indeed!

Moonshiner

Been looking into Tibetan singing bowls lately. I'm such a sucker for musical things.

The Happy Squirrel

You wont be disappointed :)

I am not musical at all but from those in the know I was told they give the most amazing sound characteristics. All I know is that as a meditative aid, it works like no other.

There are plenty of newly made brass bowls that are of good quality if you are not fussed about heritage and what not :)

Tanga

"How to choose a singing bowl"

I chose mine by going to a shop which stocked them and playing each one until I found "the one" that resonated yummily in my body (around the stomach and solar plexus area as I recal). Since then I added a couple more, but that 1st one is "the one". :)

I read somewhere once, that singing bowls are unique in that they dispel unnecessary energy AND draw in fresh new energy at the same time. I liked that idea.
I use mine to cleans my therapy room energetically.

I've always wanted some Crystal ones - but never took the step to see where I could buy - as it's more difficult to find somewhere stocking them where one can go and try them all out for to see how they sound and feel. Also - I've no space to store such a thing on display and it would be dumb to have it in a drawer.

The Happy Squirrel

Happy new year everyone! :)

Tanga, I heard the crystal bowls emanate a more crisp sound, while ancient metal bowls gives a warmer multilayered tones. I think your way of listening to your body is a great one. This is how I first became interested in singing bowls, how it effects my body.

So in exploring this I came across the idea of chakra association with western musical tone equivalent of a bowl. I found that this is not always as described with how the tones works on me. When it says this tone will tune in to that chakra, I did not feel it.... Which makes me think that maybe it is little different for different people. I am not sure. Which is why I think letting your body tells you is the best way.

When the sound of a bowl (or several!!) releases you from the top of your head to the base of your spine, that is when you know! It is like having a nice massage :) But I am yet to find that experience again. And I am having fun looking!

Tanga

Happy new year everyone! :)

Tanga, I heard the crystal bowls emanate a more crisp sound, while ancient metal bowls give a warmer multilayered tone. I think your way of listening to your body is a great one. This is how I first became interested in singing bowls, how it effects my body...

Yes - I would describe Crystal ones as "sharper". To me, the best are the really huge old metal ones (sometimes almost too big to carry) - deep warm base notes that just draw you in forever.
Been to a few demos with some Crystal Healers who used both types (once at a Witchfest event in London, and once when I was investigating studying a crystal/tibetan bowl therapy course).

I've not thought of singing a whole chant etc. whilst playing mine (usually I just end up humming counter harmony). To be investigated...

seven stars

I have two, one I take with me when I'm traveling because it's tiny. I love em. I bought mine at the Peace of Mind Bookstore in Tulsa many years ago. Sigh. They're in storage right now along with all my belongings.

Attachments

• 0424090152.jpg
    0424090152.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 0424090428.jpg
    0424090428.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 140

Mi-Shell

Quartz Crystal Singing Bowls

10 years ago my friend a. was in Bodgaya, India for the Kalachakra that the Dalai Lama held. She had bought a small 6' singing bowl for me there and it got blessed by him!

In the fall of 2012 one of my shamanic patients decided to sell one of her Canadian "cottages" and buy a bigger condo in Toronto. She also had 2 large storage garages full of stufffff and antiques and wanted to "trim down " a bit. She had about 45 LARGE Crystal Singing Bowls - the expensive ones where the silica sand is mixed with tiny flakes of diamonds, rubies, emeralds and... you name it.
She also had about 10 of the "practitioner bowls" - the ones with the handle. Each of these items cost a fortune, from several 100dreds to several thousand $$$$.....
They each had their own padded travel and storage case....
Anyway.
One late night at her place, she pulled them all out and sorted through them, stating, that she just did not like the white ones - and either I could have them all - or they are going into the trash! :bugeyed:
NOW!!!
OK, soooo: Stunned and not even trusting our luck my husband Peter and I packed them all into our car. There were 7 of them.
see picture 1
So I had to get familiar with my new prize and sort out, which bowl intones with which chakra.

I learned quickly to appreciate these simple treasures and learned to work with them. A few month later I did a workshop for the 12.12 2012 and used them with clients for the first time.
Previously I always only used drums and rattles for shamanic work.....
My clients and the workshop participants loved the bowls!
Over the next few years until today I got several more bowls.
One magnificent practitioner bowl for the throat chakra ♥
Another heart chakra one
Then in the Goodwill store in Barrie I found yet another one - for $ 6.00 - among the salad bowls.....
then there is a very generous soul here on AT who via gregory gifted me yet another beautiful bowl! ♥
Right now this one serves - and delights as our "group bowl" for our weekly community drum circle and my friend Fran, who does Rei Ki and massage uses it for her clients.

Attachments

• bowls.jpg
    bowls.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 128
  • White gold Alchemy Practitioners.jpg
    White gold Alchemy Practitioners.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 138

stellar4

Wow Mi-Shell, those bowls are absolutely stunning! They are wonderful tools and definitely found their way to the right person.
I've got 2 metal bowls; one is a very old one from Tibet and the other is not so ancient but hails from Nepal. I was working at an event helping out at a friend's stall.
Whilst wandering around the site I found a stall selling Tibetan bowls. I went over and played around with them but kept getting drawn back to a very small old looking bowl (the first one I'd picked up). I couldnt get anything out of any of the others but this one really sang when I played it.I didnt have enough money so just walked away.
Anyway, for the first time ever, we made good money on the stall - enough that I could get the bowl! I ran back to the stall expecting it to have sold (he had done a roaring trade all weekend) but there it was, waiting. I bought it immediately.
There was another stall selling bowls from Nepal and I had enough to buy one from there too (again, couldnt get anything out of the others but this one really sang).
I treasure both of them, but that little Tibetan bowl is my absolute favourite. I use it for space clearing and for when I need a pick-me-up.
There is a guy in my town who has a wonderful collection of crystal and metal singing bowls which he works with at events and with clients; he credits them with his recovery from years of ME.