Can you explain crystal balls and scrying to me?? Please?

Shanini

Hi I was wondering what you actually do when you scry, what the purposes of scrying is, and what a "good" crystal ball would look like and where I can find them. Basically I need all the basics.
Thanks so much!
Blessed Be
Shannon

jade

welcome to the forum shanini! we've had many discussions on this already. i'll go to the archives and give the threads a bump up so that you can read them.

in light,
your moderator
jade :)

Scorpion

Shanini (03 Feb, 2002 14:32):
Hi I was wondering what you actually do when you scry, what the purposes of scrying is, and what a "good" crystal ball would look like and where I can find them.
Shannon

Hi, Shanini!

Hmmmm - that is a lot of information to get into one post! I can only answer for myself - other people will have their own ideas. Crystal balls are a rather expensive hobby if you don't know what you want to do with them.

"What do you actually do when you scry?" I sit in a quiet, candelit room, listening to soothing music and concentrate on the crystal. I have seen people bring them out in crowded rooms under electric light and still give accurate readings.

I'd describe the purpose as a bit like Tarot really: you choose! You can use them for meditation, healing, creative vizualisation or the perrennial favourite: fortune-telling. There are probably other uses I haven't thought of.

What does a "good" crystal ball look like? I believe that's a matter of personal preference. Some people like them completely clear (3 types: natural-quartz crystal - hideously expensive, lab-grown crystal and glass). There are also natural crytal balls in a variety of colours that aren't clear and have
"veils", "inclusions", "phantoms" and "rainbows" - some people like these because it gives them something to focus on. They are still expensive. Size is another consideration as to what makes a "good" crystal - and can also drastically affect the price. I guess a good crystal would be one that appealed to you and you felt you could work with. I have two lab-grown crystals, one medium size (approx 6cm across) and the other large (twice the size) and one small egg-shaped quartz with inclusions and rainbows - to be honest, I like the egg-shaped one the best but it's too tiny to see much.

I would recommend the book "Crystal Ball Gazing" by Uma Sibley if you can obtain it. It's published by Simon & Schuster New York.

Scorpion

PS

As for where you can find them, I don't think I can be much help there except to say that any decent "New Age" shop will stock them.

jade

you are better off going to a rock and gem show to purchase one.

they aren't nearrrrrrrrly as costly there. :)

in light,
jade

Shanini

Hi! Thank you so much for all the information you have given me!

Jade- Thank you, I'm glad to be apart of the forum. And I will definetly have to find a "rock and gem show" around me. Thanks for responding

LouiQ- I'm gonna start searching all the bookstores near me for that book. Thanks for all the information, I was clueless about Scrying before, now I have a much better understanding of it.

Thanks again
~Shanini

jade

shanon,

did you get a chance to look at those two threads about scrying and crystal balls? there is some good info in them too.

welcome welcome welcome
jade

Scorpion

You're welcome Shannon! As Jade says, there are other posts on this and I'm sure some useful tips and views. A word of warning - for many people scrying isn't an instant thing and can take quite a while to build up and needs a lot of patience: don't expect to be on TV describing the exact winning Lottery numbers within weeks! Also, it's worth having some sort of protective ritual, as many people do with Tarot: look after yourself. It can also help focus the mind.

Jade, don't suppose you know if these rock and gem shows a worldwide sort of thing? I've never seen any advertised here in England (I'm assuming you're elsewhere) and rely on two particularly good shops within striking distance (which stock a huge range of Tarot/Oracles etc, so it's a good excuse to go visit!).

jade

it may be the rock and gem clubs in the area that put them on...........so check out that avenue :)

i'm in canada eh!

jade

New River

hi all! well, i am a crystal ball collector (and sometimes wish i weren't, as it is costly!)

one of my favs for scrying, is a small about 30mm quartz with lots of inclusions. it is easy to tuck in my pocket and carry with me. feels good too.

the one that impresses people the most is a pretty big one but it is glass. very clear and pretty, but i never use it for scrying. just looking pretty. i have a 50mm turquoise one that is now the topper for a lovely yellow antique bottle. i don't scry with it either.

when i'm not using the little quartz one, i use a huge generator quartz point that i found in a shop. it was way expensive but when it is sitting on the shelf yelling at you, you tend to listen. i have gotten the best stuff using this crystal. it is about 10 inches tall and 4 inches wide. it, too has lots of inclusions, beautiful ones. i think they do help me sometimes. they seem to change constantly.

but, now don't think i'm crazy, sometimes i use a cup of black coffee for scrying. it works for me. a black bowl with water would work too. actually any color might work. i've always used black tho. that's why you will see scrying mirrors that are black.

good luck fellow scryers! i find i get the best results if i go in with no expectations.

love, light and hope,
New River