Weird interactions with clients

nightowlwoman

I'm curious if any of you have had the experience of reading for people who associate tarot with black magic and mention demons and things of that sort? I am a professional reader and I always refer people to my site/ethics page before they receive a reading from me to make sure that I'm a good fit for their needs. My goal is to offer objective guidance, essentially, for folks who need help with transitions in life or are seeking clarity.

So when I had a client who told me that his background with tarot was tied with ideas of evil, voodoo and demonology I was not really sure how to respond other than to say that that sort of stuff has no place in my life. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I actually felt the need to smudge my home after he left (I am a kitchen witch as well). Thoughts? Experiences?

Barleywine

Because the first interaction I have with my clients occurs when they walk into the shop where I read, I have no chance to pre-condition them. Since I returned to professional reading last Fall after many years away, I haven't encountered this type of sitter. Most likely I would try to find out why they bothered to come for a reading if their prior experience has been negative or their fears appear to be dominating them (maybe it was gifted to them?), then I would want to know whether they really want to go through with it. I have a disarming and reassuring style, so I don't get many sitters "putting up a wall." I would be completely honest with them and explain that I don't think the practice of tarot alone can bring on that kind of vulnerability. On the other hand, if their apparent purpose is to use the results of the reading for some kind of "dark" objective, I would send them back to the shop-keeper for a refund. But that has never happened (yet) either.

Grizabella

I'm curious if any of you have had the experience of reading for people who associate tarot with black magic and mention demons and things of that sort? I am a professional reader and I always refer people to my site/ethics page before they receive a reading from me to make sure that I'm a good fit for their needs. My goal is to offer objective guidance, essentially, for folks who need help with transitions in life or are seeking clarity.

So when I had a client who told me that his background with tarot was tied with ideas of evil, voodoo and demonology I was not really sure how to respond other than to say that that sort of stuff has no place in my life. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I actually felt the need to smudge my home after he left (I am a kitchen witch as well). Thoughts? Experiences?

That would definitely put me off, too. Did you go ahead and read for him? I'm curious how that went. I've met people who were overly excited about me reading Tarot because to them "occult" things like Tarot seemed dark and powerful and would impress others with their "dangerous abilities", I guess you could say. Usually they were around junior high or high school age.

I've only ever had people try to "evangelize" me and save me from hell for using the cards but they never asked me to read for them. They were trying to save my soul from myself, you could say. They cringed away from even laying eyes on the cards or having them in their house.

nightowlwoman

That would definitely put me off, too. Did you go ahead and read for him? I'm curious how that went. I've met people who were overly excited about me reading Tarot because to them "occult" things like Tarot seemed dark and powerful and would impress others with their "dangerous abilities", I guess you could say. Usually they were around junior high or high school age.

I've only ever had people try to "evangelize" me and save me from hell for using the cards but they never asked me to read for them. They were trying to save my soul from myself, you could say. They cringed away from even laying eyes on the cards or having them in their house.

This all actually came up *after* the reading was done. The reading itself was a relationship reading and that went fine for the most part. He mentioned (after the reading) an experience with a different reader from a voodoo shop as well where the reader offered to eliminate his romantic competition for a fee. He wasn't against having his cards read, he seemed fascinated as well as fearful. He was fixated on the idea of the occult and spiritual (with a darker bent) and said that he had family members who conjured spirits, etc. I'm not sure if he was trying to connect with me or just wanted to keep talking. It was just a really bizarre experience.

SunChariot

I HAVE heard of people whose background in Taort is tied with ideas of evil, voodoo...

In fact when I started learning Tarot a friend was just terrified for me as Tarot IS voodoo, don't you know.

My experience of Tarot personally has been the exact opposite. It is ALL pure wisdom and love for me. That is the only energy that comes my way through it.

But since I don't read in person I never felt I had to smudge everything after. My querents are nowhere near me when I read. Usually not even in the came country. But I really get why you felt that way.

Babs

Dogs&Coffee

Ah yes, the undercover cray cray customer. They seem ok at first, but then they take monorail straight on into ruin-your-dayville, population: satan.

nightowlwoman

Ah yes, the undercover cray cray customer. They seem ok at first, but then they take monorail straight on into ruin-your-dayville, population: satan.

If you don't already, you should write books because this was delightful to read.

Dogs&Coffee

If you don't already, you should write books because this was delightful to read.

LOL thanks :) I'm only really good for short quips and off the cuff ranting though :3

But seriously, I work retail and you get all types. Once I had a lady come in and yell at me for a good hour because she was going to lease the space my shop is in to publish her conspiracy theory newsletter but my landlord didn't want the truth to get out. The conversation began over whether or not her dog would prefer a peanutbutter cookie or a bully stick...

Their whackadoo chicanery is no reflection on you, your profession, or anything else. Just don't break eye contact and you'll be ok ;)

Hayyot

Hello. Well, that is just part of the prejudice associated often with tarot. The level of misinformation or plain ignorance is astonishing.
For instance, my own mother has an University degree, (she is not supposed to be THAT ignorant) and she still associates tarot with evil and black magic. Go figure...
Probably is just related to your client`s religious upbringing and nothing else.
I`m sure he/she didn`t mean ill, so no need to buen sage imho.

p.s: With the above paragraph I`m not stating that people who holds no degrees are ignorant, but I`m saying I`d expect more from my mother in terms of being more open and in terms of knowledge...

Diessa

I think it's fairly common for people to have those associations, though they aren't usually the same people who are paying for a reading. The fact he was asking for a reading would suggest to me he was just ambivalent and inexperienced, and interested in your thoughts on the subject. I probably would not have felt the need to smudge the house simply because a person was asking questions, but I don't know whether there was something else about the exchange that made you feel uncomfortable.

One thing I tell people is that these are just tools for those of us who don't have a direct line of sight into the spiritual realm, and any tool is just an expression of the intent of the person using it. People can use prayer negatively, and often do, with negative effects. These people would never think they were casting spells or cursing others, and yet, their prayers can be a powerful tool used in the wrong way.