Weird interactions with clients

nisaba

I'm curious if any of you have had the experience of reading for people who associate tarot with black magic and mention demons and things of that sort?

No. They tend not to spend money consorting with the devil. Not around here, anyway.

So when I had a client who told me that his background with tarot was tied with ideas of evil, voodoo and demonology I was not really sure how to respond other than to say that that sort of stuff has no place in my life. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

No, but if I do in the future, the moment they say that I'd be gathering up my cards, refunding their money and politely wishing them a good day. I wouldn't engage in any kind of dialogue at all, except to make it clear they were leaving immediately. After all, I wouldn't want to bring a negative experience on them.

nightowlwoman

LOL thanks :) I'm only really good for short quips and off the cuff ranting though :3

But seriously, I work retail and you get all types. Once I had a lady come in and yell at me for a good hour because she was going to lease the space my shop is in to publish her conspiracy theory newsletter but my landlord didn't want the truth to get out. The conversation began over whether or not her dog would prefer a peanutbutter cookie or a bully stick...

Their whackadoo chicanery is no reflection on you, your profession, or anything else. Just don't break eye contact and you'll be ok ;)

Ah yes, I dealt with people like that when I worked I finance. It's an interesting position to be in but can also escalate quickly if not handled well. Did she just leave on her own eventually?

nightowlwoman

I think it's fairly common for people to have those associations, though they aren't usually the same people who are paying for a reading. The fact he was asking for a reading would suggest to me he was just ambivalent and inexperienced, and interested in your thoughts on the subject. I probably would not have felt the need to smudge the house simply because a person was asking questions, but I don't know whether there was something else about the exchange that made you feel uncomfortable.

One thing I tell people is that these are just tools for those of us who don't have a direct line of sight into the spiritual realm, and any tool is just an expression of the intent of the person using it. People can use prayer negatively, and often do, with negative effects. These people would never think they were casting spells or cursing others, and yet, their prayers can be a powerful tool used in the wrong way.

I agree it's fairly common for people to have these associations. I have a good friend who has these associations in general because of her upbringing. She knows I'm not evil or working with evil but her conditioning about tarot/etc is negative. I had never had someone who had these associations ask me for a reading, though. I smudged the house based on the weird energy I felt as a result, not simply because of his relating his experiences to me.

nightowlwoman

I HAVE heard of people whose background in Taort is tied with ideas of evil, voodoo...

In fact when I started learning Tarot a friend was just terrified for me as Tarot IS voodoo, don't you know.

My experience of Tarot personally has been the exact opposite. It is ALL pure wisdom and love for me. That is the only energy that comes my way through it.

But since I don't read in person I never felt I had to smudge everything after. My querents are nowhere near me when I read. Usually not even in the came country. But I really get why you felt that way.

Babs

Thanks for your input! It is also pure wisdom and love for me when I read tarot. The majority of my querents are online as well. But even when I do read locally/in person, this is the first time I've come across someone who received a reading while holding views that tarot is associated with dark magic.

Barleywine

Thanks for your input! It is also pure wisdom and love for me when I read tarot. The majority of my querents are online as well. But even when I do read locally/in person, this is the first time I've come across someone who received a reading while holding views that tarot is associated with dark magic.

My belief is that tarot's association with dark magic was originally encouraged by those who had the most to lose by it: the priesthood whose absolute authority to impart spiritual insights to the masses is challenged by it. You don't need a priest if you have a reliable DIY tool for this purpose. If I were pressed by a querent on this subject, I would probably explain it this way: as a vestige from a more credulous era.

Diessa

My belief is that tarot's association with dark magic was originally encouraged by those who had the most to lose by it: the priesthood whose absolute authority to impart spiritual insights to the masses is challenged by it. You don't need a priest if you have a reliable DIY tool for this purpose. If I were pressed by a querent on this subject, I would probably explain it this way: as a vestige from a more credulous era.

This is probably the most true thing any person can say when confronted with religious objections to Tarot. The Crone of the early and middle ages in Europe was a threat to the political power of the priesthood. Divination is timeless, and part of human nature.

SunChariot

That is my belief too. That the religious authorities villified Tarot as it was a threat to them. If everyone could just talk to the Divine and get their spiritual answers on their own, they would not be as likely to listen to others telling them THE way things must be done on the topic. If they could interpret things on their own, they would not need others to do so so them.

And what Diessa said about too, Divination is timeless and the ability to divine is built into us. It's part of human nature.

Babs

Alissa

Pop culture and the media help promote these concepts because they make for great plot devices in a fictional story, but too often these ideas become tangled in our collective psyche as being the real deal.

I have a statement on my website where I address this concern for potential clients, but it's really doesn't come up IRL for me.

SunChariot

Pop culture and the media help promote these concepts because they make for great plot devices in a fictional story, but too often these ideas become tangled in our collective psyche as being the real deal.

I have a statement on my website where I address this concern for potential clients, but it's really doesn't come up IRL for me.

So true Alissa. You know movies and books. The Death card comes up, scary music, and someone dies forthwith. Never mind that that is not even what the card means. For people who don't know anything else about Tarot, that is the impression they get. That it is scary. Or heralds something awful that you can't avoid. Just so sad.

I also address that as often as I can, in my newsletter. I talk about it every month, to try to dispel some of that and show it more as the positive thing it is.

Babs

nightowlwoman

Perhaps I will address it on my website or in my newsletter as well. Thanks for the idea!