21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card -- step TWO

faunabay

Step 2 - Knight of Swords - Universal Fantasy

I am riding my horse off to settle a conflict. My long brown hair and maroon skirt are flowing along with the wind. My sword is in my hand ready to be used but resting for now. The wings on my helmet show how my mind moves swiftly and surely. I am on one side of the stone wall where the road is and the (my) people are on the other side with the flying flags. They walk along with me for as long as they can, then I go on alone.

punchinella

aurorarose said:
It was interesting how many assumptions I made my first go. Including that even though it is a grey sky I thought the figure was warm, that the water was cold, that the grass was soft, that there was breeze, that the figure was concentrating, that the stones were sharp, that the wings were strong. I also assumed the figure was a female. But I didn't notice that the blue mountains were jagged or that the path is rather narrow.
Interesting that you bring this up . . . a small part of my mind caught it when I read through the book (after doing the exercise) but it didn't actually register consciously until now--that objective/subjective should be isolated, that is.

I actually love your first description, the one with all the assumptions in it, best :)

But, I think you're right that disallowing assumption does force us to see more of what's actually there in the card, i.e. to investigate more closely.

MardiGras

The fool morgan greer tarot deck

it's daylight the sun is shinning and everything looks perfect. I am facing the west and forgetting the world. My plans are to go forwards and not look back. The past is gone I no longer leave it or have room for it even my bag is small and holds little if anything of who i was or am.
I push on and have no regrets or sorrow in my heart. I am childish I am young, I am innocent and naieve i wear my heart on my sleeve as a white rose. My clothing is theatrical I am not worldy wise and I am closed to the voices around me. I hear nothing and I don't see the error of my ways . I am the fool.

MG

rebecca-smiles

The star, the thoth deck.

I am naked, and my hair falls long around me to my toes! My skin is blue in the starlight, which falls brightly from above me, across the moon and land. My arms stretch wide, I am looking up into a cup i hold above my head, peering at a star within it from which angled light falls before me. In my other hand i pour from a cup onto the ground, onto the crystals at my feet, into the water before me. There is little between me and the horizon, save a vast expanse of water and the distant hills. My only company of living things are small roses and moths. The moon dominates my view of the sky with its own star and patterns of light, and it touches the horizon, but the purple and blue light that illuminates me and my surroundings is the star, high, high above the moon. Its seven points radiate spirals of light with geometric angles. But is the distance there are circles of lights radiating above the horizon.

missycab

2° Step - Deck: Tarot de Marsella (Marseilles) - Card: Le Pape.

I am an old man, my hair is white and medium long (it reaches my shoulder). I also have a white beard. I have a golden crown, and I am the Pope. I am the spiritual leader of thousands of people. They come to see looking for my guidance and a blessing. Right now, I am blessing some monks. The are kneeling in front of me, while I'm sitting, I guess that in a throne. I look tired... tired of this duty of blessing everyone! It's almost a routine! But I try to keep a benevolent smile. :thumbsup:

Here you can see the card:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/5-V-Pape.jpg

dadsnook2000

For missycab and all other "new participants"

These early steps will soon lead you into a deeper and richer view of your chosen card and all the cards. You are starting a fascinating journey. Those of us who are further ahead and even close to the end of the Apprentice Level steps have individually and collectively gained more than we expected when we started out. We will be following your steps and will offer encouragement and guidance if requested. The Adept Level will start after summer so you have time to move through the remaining steps. Thanks for being part of our adventure. Dave

missycab

Thanks! When I saw this thread (actually, I first saw a more advanced step), I thought that it was a great way to learn the meaning of the cards! And I can also learn by reading what the others posted, to see their point of view. It's very useful!

Where I live, it's difficult to find good resources (books) for learning tarot. Of course, unless you live in Buenos Aires, the capital! But it's not my case, because I live in another city. :( I have a book about tarot, but it only has the meanings. And "learning" the cards by understanding them and creating a relationship with them, it's not the same as reading what it means in the books! All the books about tarot I found here, are like that (only the meanings). So this thread is great for me! :laugh:

Kalymura

Step 2: DruidCraft Deck, Six of Wands.

I am a man in my prime, sat astride my grey charger whose foot does not falter despite the uneven, wet ground. The clouds are broken, however, and the sky is light. My head is uncovered, though I have a fur collar about my shoulders and a long beard from my jowls. Green shrubs brush my boots and tug my long, red cloak as I pass by. There is a falcon perched in my left hand, unhooded; I hold a tether from the bird between my fourth and fifth fingers. Behind me, my men follow close, carrying rods.

~~~

This was so much harder than simply describing the card. Here, I had to consider what the horseman could see. He won't be paying attention to the expressions of his followers, whether they are wearing hoods or gloves, or not. Similarly, from up there, he can't see the two rocks coming up on his right, as they are behind shrubs.

The other thing was not adding my own interpretation. I'm assuming the falcon is a scout, but don't know that. I also now think that the tufts at the end of the poles are dead birds, trophies of the falcon. As I can't see any weapons, I assume it is a hunting or scouting party.

Of all the characters in the card, I was weary of being most attracted to the horseman. I frequently draw the Chariot in my own spreads, to remind me to 'get off my high horse' and swallow some pride. However, it's been interesting to realise what he's missing by being up there.

dadsnook2000

Other six of wands cards

This card has always been of interest to me. We all know the RWS card with the horseman riding in a victory scene. In contrast, the Witches Tarot shows a young lady kneeling in the woods, wildflowers about her, contemplating a row of six wands laying upon the ground --- divided into two groups of three, arranged in parallel. The ground is clear around her. The intent of this card seems to show one contemplating what lies ahead from a safe and serene surrounding. This card is not so much "in your face victory" and leadership, but seems to be more "I'm now here, safe and comfortable. What's next."

I guess this is why we all have different decks which reflect different concepts of life and where we are within that life. Isn't this what makes the Tarot so interesting? Dave

Kalymura

Six of Wands Meanings: "Get down off your high horse"

dadsnook2000 said:
This card is not so much "in your face victory" and leadership, but seems to be more "I'm now here, safe and comfortable. What's next."

I guess this is why we all have different decks which reflect different concepts of life and where we are within that life. Isn't this what makes the Tarot so interesting? Dave

I've been avoiding the DruidCraft handbook, so that I don't add the author's interpretations of the card into my own studies; I do agree with you, however, and it's interesting that I don't get an overall sense of victory from the DruidCraft six of wands either. I'll further explore this in the next step, emotions, but only the horseman seems confident. His followers look tired and dismayed; after everything, they're the ones walking home in the puddles. A thought which hasn't left my head these last few days is that there are enough of them to revolt and pull the horseman from his mount; which really relates, for me, to what you're saying. These men might think "what next?", whilst the leader is in fact now short-sighted (relates to the POV aspect of this step and how I was saying what the horesman can't see), smug in his victory and leadership.

A totally different side of 'Victory'.