Difference between 5th and 7th house in relationship questions ?

Sharla

7th house being partnerships, love relationships, marriage, spouses.

5th house representing having a bit of fun, flirting, someone you like/fancy, seeing someone but nothing serious.

Well what about if your in a 5th house situation with someone but with 7th house tendencies towards eachother and you've been seeing eachother for about 6mths.

Chanah

The other person is the 7th house. The activities you might engage in with the other person (from sex to going to the movies) are the 5th house. The 5th generally represents pleasures, amusements, and children.

Sharla

The other person is the 7th house. The activities you might engage in with the other person (from sex to going to the movies) are the 5th house. The 5th generally represents pleasures, amusements, and children.

I thought the 5th house signified a casual relationship too....so a relationship at the beginning stages where you have not made a full commitment to each other, not living together etc.

There seems to be a very thin line between the 5th and the 7th and of when to cross it.

Minderwiz

I thought the 5th house signified a casual relationship too....so a relationship at the beginning stages where you have not made a full commitment to each other, not living together etc.

There seems to be a very thin line between the 5th and the 7th and of when to cross it.

I think you will find some differences of opinion over this. John Crawley would say the seventh house is the person, unlesds their relationship to the current is clearly defined (my father, my brother, my daughter, my friend: in which case they get the fourth, third, fifth, eleventh respectively - this list doesn't cover all possible relationships. What you and the other person do together belongs to another house - play bridge (5th), hunt for buried treasure (4th).
her
This distinction seems clear but in practice it isn't. If the question refers to my bridge partner, I wouldn't use the seventh for the person, as their relationship to the querent is defined by what they do together. I'd use the fifth for that person.

Now in relationships there's something of a grey area. This comes from the occasional difficulty of establishing what the relationship to the querent is.

Lee Lehman settles the distinction between fifth and seventh in terms of relationships by asking the querent 'Are you living together?'. If the answer is yes, then the relationship is seventh house, if not (and it's a sexual relationship) she takes the other party as fifth house.

But I don't agree with the distinction being so easily resolved. Clearly the question 'Will I marry X?' relates to a future event and whilst that, if it comes about, will involve them in living together, it does not have to be the case that they must be be living together at the time of the question.

However there must be no obvious obstacle to a seventh house long term relationship. In your question the other party is married, so a 'marriage' is not legally possible in the current circumstances. If he left his wife and moved in with you, then he would establish a de facto seventh house relationship as per Lehman. If he announced divorce proceedings and moved out of the marital home into his own accomodation, I'd treat him as seventh house, as he is taking steps to remove the impediment and opening the possibility to a 'marriage'.

If you had asked, 'Will he move in with me?' or 'Will he divorce his wife?'; I would treat him as seventh because either of those actions would change the nature o your current relationship to a seventh house one.

Note that the exact framing of the question can change the meaning in subtle ways. Bad phrasing of the question can give you an answer you never expected and prevent the chart giving you the answer you seek.

Sharla

Okay i get you now Minderwiz, thanks again.

So giving my situation as an example, if i ask a general question of "will i be seeing him this week" ? then he would be the 5th house. If i ask about future possibilities between us "will me and x get married" ? then he would be 7th house.

What about a pregnancy question "will i have a baby to x" ? would this assign him to the 7th because it would be changing the future between us ? Yes i think it would going on what you've said, so that means i've read one of my past charts wrong.

Minderwiz

Okay i get you now Minderwiz, thanks again.

So giving my situation as an example, if i ask a general question of "will i be seeing him this week" ? then he would be the 5th house. If i ask about future possibilities between us "will me and x get married" ? then he would be 7th house.

It's important that you are genuinely convinced that something has or is very likely to change. That is the question should not be idle speculation, or asked more in hope than expectation. So if he's been talking about leaving his wife for you, and you believe he means it; then treat him as seventh house but get him to commit to a time frame first - when will he do this? Next week, next month, this year? The horary will tell you whether he is serious and whether there are any obstacles to be met.

Sharla said:
What about a pregnancy question "will i have a baby to x" ? would this assign him to the 7th because it would be changing the future between us ? Yes i think it would going on what you've said, so that means i've read one of my past charts wrong.

The question is primarily fifth house, because it relates to children and pregnancy. Whether it changes the prospect of you and him living together is not clear. It may do; he might have his wife voluntarily or she might through him out and file for divorce. But a lot of married men have children by other women and they don't split from their wives. It depends on how tight the bonds are, if only for social respectability in their community. Clearly if she moves to through him out, or he says he's leaving her for you and the baby, then you might well cast a horary with him as a. seventh, marriage prospect.

If you are speculating with some reason that the situation has changed, then ask the question 'Will he leave his wife?'