8 Pentacles adjectives

mysticangel_001

What are some adjectives you would use to describe the 8 of Pentacles?
Focused? Dedicated? What else?

HappyTree

If I was using RWS, consistent (positive) monotonous or repetitive (negative) because the person is seen producing the same results.

Barleywine

Sun in Virgo: industrious; pragmatic; detail-oriented/too hung up on details; "nose to the grindstone;" steady. I also see a certain amount of anxiety in all the Eights due to their qabalistic correspondences (associated with Mercury, off the Middle Pillar and low on the Tree of Life).

Thirteen

Reliable

I also see a certain amount of anxiety in all the Eights due to their qabalistic correspondences (associated with Mercury, off the Middle Pillar and low on the Tree of Life).
That's an interesting take. I agree. There is some anxiety to the 8's, and in the 8/pent's card, and I think it's in that desire to guarantee the work. The need to make sure quality never flags, and everything goes out on time, steady and reliable.

In addition, the number 8 is often about limitations, or more to the point, imposing limitations that allow for efficiency. That 8/Pents isn't about creativity or doing your own thing. It's about following a formula, a template, staying within parameters. And much as we look our noses down on that sort of thing, it does mean that you get efficiency and speed and often quality.

This kind of assembly-line craftsmanship may not generate "one-of-a-kind" works of art. But it can produce quality poster art. Each one of a reliable quality, and produced at a known speed.

mysticangel_001

If I was using RWS, consistent (positive) monotonous or repetitive (negative) because the person is seen producing the same results.

Skilled, practice

improving

Sun in Virgo: industrious; pragmatic; detail-oriented/too hung up on details; "nose to the grindstone;" steady. I also see a certain amount of anxiety in all the Eights due to their qabalistic correspondences (associated with Mercury, off the Middle Pillar and low on the Tree of Life).

That's an interesting take. I agree. There is some anxiety to the 8's, and in the 8/pent's card, and I think it's in that desire to guarantee the work. The need to make sure quality never flags, and everything goes out on time, steady and reliable.

In addition, the number 8 is often about limitations, or more to the point, imposing limitations that allow for efficiency. That 8/Pents isn't about creativity or doing your own thing. It's about following a formula, a template, staying within parameters. And much as we look our noses down on that sort of thing, it does mean that you get efficiency and speed and often quality.

This kind of assembly-line craftsmanship may not generate "one-of-a-kind" works of art. But it can produce quality poster art. Each one of a reliable quality, and produced at a known speed.

Thank you everyone, I like the thoughts/ideas you have on this card. What if the card is in response to feelings or thoughts, not work? That is why I was curious about adjectives, which could be used to interpret the card in a way that doesn't so much have to do with work/school type things. I have a hard time, sometimes, seeing the cards in some context other than what they are described (Pents = money/finances, Swords = thinking/conflict, Wands = action/creativity, Cups = emotions/intuition). I get stuck and have to try to process the cards in a different way and I don't always succeed.

Barleywine

I wrote a paper on the Sevens and Eights that may make it into the ATA monthly newsletter one of these days. If the Sevens represent stepping off in a new direction to escape the complacency of the Sixes, the Eights can mean pulling in the reins just a bit, applying Mercury's rationality to the off-handed informality of Venus as a way to get back on track. I'm reading Corrine Kenner's Tarot and Astrology right now, and she uses the word "assimilation" to describe the action of the Eights. I can see that - they clean up the mess after the Sevens are done getting their s**t together and absorb the lessons learned. (Just thought of another adjective for the 8 of Pentacles: "fastidious.")

Numerology presents the Eight as a number of power, but I see it more as a number of adjustment and compensation. I liken it to learning how to ride a bicycle: you start with both feet on the ground in the Six, you point the bike downhill and start peddling in the Seven, but the bike promptly starts to lean dangerously to one side; so you do a lightning-fast mental calculation in the Eight to judge how much to jerk the handlebars back in the other direction and thus keep from falling over. It ain't pretty, but you eventually fine-tune it. Seven and Eight interact to create a kind of balancing act that reaches equilibrium in the Nine, a return to the balance of the Six with maybe a few battle scars to show for it.

Thirteen

Racing ahead!

I wrote a paper on the Sevens and Eights that may make it into the ATA monthly newsletter one of these days.
Love to read it sometime! I really like and agree with everything you say. It puts that "limitations" and you sometimes see regarding the 8's into perspective. I think that word is often used, but isn't, as you point out, quite right. Adjustment is far more accurate. You can't do "anything" but you don't necessarily limit yourself too narrowly either.

Knowing this really puts a card like the 8/Wands into perspective. It's not just speed, it's that the situation has gained limits (adjustments) that allow things to go super fast. Like, as per your bicycle, when the cyclist brings in arms, lowers the head, and gets into tight, racing position. It "limits" their freedom of movement, but in turn, allows for them to go much faster—and maintain control of the bike. :)

Thirteen

Just keep swimming

Thank you everyone, I like the thoughts/ideas you have on this card. What if the card is in response to feelings or thoughts, not work?
This is a card about trying to get consistency, efficiency and a steady profit. And remember that "limitation/adjustment" Barleywine and I are discussing. The person has likely decided that certain thoughts and feelings are not "profitable." They waste time, and achieve nothing. So they've decided to not indulge in those thoughts/feelings. They will, instead, try to keep to thoughts/feelings that speed them toward their goal.

Remember when your parents told you: "Throwing a temper tantrum and complaining about doing chores isn't getting them done and isn't getting you out of them..." That's the way this person sees thoughts and feelings. Mature, realistic, common sense.

In short, their thoughts/feelings are "just keep swimming." Because anything else: fear, anger, frustration, "she hates me!" even "she loves me!" is going to slow them down and maybe stop things from happening. They are not going to let thoughts/feelings run wild.