Queen of Pentacles ...anyone?

XLCR

Queen of Pents...anyone?

Well since the queen of swords generated so many response just thought I'd see what thoughts are on the queen of pents...

HudsonGray

I had the hardest time disassociating her from the Empress--all the books I had showed very little that was different between the two in their descriptions. This card had me stymied for a long time because of that. Finally I decided that the Empress had the broad range meanings, and the Queen had the more 'do this' aspect to it. They're still confusing though, being so alike.

Major Tom

HudsonGray said:
They're still confusing though, being so alike.

For me, the Queen of Pentacles is more about the immediate physical environment and the Empress is about growth and creativity.

The Queen of Pentacles would walk into your house and say, "It would be so much more comfortable in here if you got a few more cushions and a couple of houseplants."

The Empress would walk in and say, "If you finished and sold that novel you've been working on you could design and build a house that would suit you perfectly."

Does that make sense?

Rhiannon

MT, I love your description of them! It makes them come alive and really differentiates between them, thanks!

R :)

Thirteen

Funny, I see quite a bit of difference between Q/P and Empress. One is "Taurus" (or Capricorn or Virgo), the other, Empress, is Venus. Related to Taurus in that love of beauty, but not. Here's how I see them:

Q/P is a CRAFTSMAN, queen of money, health and work (Pentacles: Money, Health, Work, right?). Thus, the key words for her are: good taste, effort and pragmatism. She wants things beautiful, but also comfortable. Well done, but practical. She's as likely to grow vegetables in the garden as flowers. And she's willing to work very hard to achieve all this. Running a business, fixing a home or raising children, it's all good craftsmanship to her.

Empress is a "MOM." Her key words are creativity, patience, growth. She is always tending her children, from seed to birth to adulthood. Any and all children--Ever hear an artist call their work "baby"? "This is my baby!" says the director of his movie or the inventor of a machine. Well, that's the Empress talking. You create something, you tend it, you work on it, you help it develop and grow. The Empress will grow weeds if she likes, or frivolous flowers. Practical doesn't enter into it--creativity, beauty, inventiveness are what matter--be they splashes on a canvass or a well made steam engine.

Thus, the big difference to me is a matter of focus:

Q/P wants her creations to be beautiful, yes, but not weird or strange. Pentacle folk don't like neighbors pointing at them and staring. She works hard to keep her garden neat, pruning and trimming to make the plants grow just as SHE wants. To make neighbors admire rather than gawk. How well CRAFTED something is, is what matters.

The Empress, on the other hand, in true "mom" fashion, takes the side of her baby. If the neighbors stare, then there's something wrong with the neighbors (they just don't understand!)--NOT her baby! She lets her plants grow as THEY will--watering, tending, encouraging them--delighting in any creative twist they take. How well something GROWS and matures is what matters.

That's how I see 'em

Icestorm

I agree. I dont think there is anything in the Queen of Pentacles that might suggest 'growth'.
It does have possibilites of emotional developement, as well as materialistic developement. The empress, I agree, cannot be better defined than "MOM". That is my differentiation of the two, anyway :-]

Mimers

The Queen of Pentacles reminds me so much of my Mom. She is good with managing money and is very resourseful. She loves her gardens because they bring pleasure and because they provide food. Her home is always welcoming and comfortable. She loves to cook for her family. She is one smart lady that realizes that money and prosperity are important for a happy family.

The Empress to me is Mother Nature or Mother Earth. She understands how everything works together in nature. She loves and nurtures the earth because it is her baby. I also think of her as a very sensual woman. Very comfortable and confident in herself. She is new life. She is the process of nature.

Mimers

Silverlotus

I identify pretty strongly with the Queen of Pentacles, so I thought I'd add my two cents.

I agree with most of what everyone has said so far. The Queen is concerned with material goods, the earth, beauty. She expects things to look nice, and doesn't like weirdness. You'll find no modern art in her home. Everything she has is the best she can afford, usually without going into debt (since she is concerned with money). She is a little worried about what others will think, but at the same time she wants things to be pleasing to her eyes. I also see books, learning, and education being important to her. She will offer advice is asked, and can be a little forceful once she gets going. She can be a little shy or at least not very outgoing.

The Empress is all about fertility, creativity, health, beauty, mothering. She buys what is beautiful, even if it doesn't match anything she owns. She draws, paints, writes, anything to be creative, and displays the results in her home. She has children or is a mother figure to many people. She is usually graceful, beautiful, and confident.

I sort of see each of the four Queens being an aspect of the Empress. Together they are the Empress.

HudsonGray

"I sort of see each of the four Queens being an aspect of the Empress. Together they are the Empress."

That makes a lot of sense. And the Kings would be the Emperor. Following through with that thought, what do the Pages and Knights blend down into?