Temperance means patience?

clarity

I love all the great insight. Thanks! Has really helped me to understand this card.

So if the question was about whether something would happen (sorry not when) then does it mean that it will be realized/happen, but patience or time is needed? Would temperance mean that it would happen? Or does it mean neither, doesn't lean either way? I don't know how to interpret this card in regards to the question I asked.

clarity

Also, do you think this card has a more positive meaning/outlook or could go either way. I know that it could also warn of a lack of balance or is that only when its reversed?

firecatpickles

clarity said:
So if the question was about whether something would happen (sorry not when) then does it mean that it will be realized/happen, but patience or time is needed? ...a more positive meaning/outlook or could go either way?
I think it would mean, "Yes, but..."

Temperance is an ideal, a virtue. It is something that has to be strived for, IMHO, not something that is a given. And it is (traditionally) a fire sign (Sag) so it is also about doing, acting.

K:spade:K

Sophie

Yes, very often it does mean patience. The alchemical process shown on the card takes time and careful preparation. New elements need to be integrated.

cherryberry

ohh well resurrecting an old thread :) But I just had an experience with Temperance and what I got from it, in reference to Balance...is, when being in a situation where you always acted in a certain way, Temperance strongly suggests to act now - well maybe in the complete opposite way.

So, if I picture a scale and, my usual reaction to a situation is to be calm, witholding, waiting,..therefore filling one side of the scale only - in that situation, the lesson that Temperance suggests is - filling the other side of the scale (to be more open, passionate, active). In order to reach actual balance.
Or it is the other way around. In general I see Temperace to have a look at yourself and the patterns in the past, and if they appear one-sided - do the opposite :)