Noob Horary questions

ValerieMay

Minderwiz,

I have a few "theory" questions.
1. What is the orb for antiscia? I came across 3 degree orb and 1.5 degree orb.
2.I am not entirely sure if I will be phrasing this question correctly, so please bare with me.
Two planets are separating but within the orb. How does an astrologer know the time unit when they will be out of influence? For example looking at today's positions, Mercury is separating from the Sun in Scorpio: the distance is 6 degrees separating. The moiety orb is 11 degrees. Can we draw to conclusion that the remainder 5 degrees is the unit count for the end of influence?
3. Is interference planet always prevents from perfection or could it mean that something else needs to be done first? If so, how would you tell 2 apart?
4. My last question is almuten vs. house ruler. Does almuten override a ruler of the house if it is essentially/accidentally stronger?
Thank you
Valerie

Minderwiz

1 Antiscia.

As with orbs generally, opinions differ. Because it is seen as equivalent!sent to a conjunction, some people use 8 degrees or even moiety orbs. It comes down to personal judgement and experience. I'd take4 - 6 degrees as acceptable.

2 Separating Aspects

The answer is to use an ephemeris. The time taken depends on the planets and their speed. Taking Mercury and the Sun as the example, don't forget that both planets are moving in the same direction, so it will take longer than you would initially think. Currently the separation is over 7.5 degrees. In five days time it will have widened to just over 10 degrees... Still within moiety. A week from now it will be just over 11 degrees.

Three things to bear in mind. Moieties are not the only system for orbs, so others may use shorter periods: secondly it's always been recognised that influence declines faster with separation than it increases with application and thirdly; real time is not the only way of measuring time in horary. You can use symbolic time.

3 Prohibition

I'm assuming that this is what you mean here. A significator suspecting a third planet before it can aspect the other significator.

That doesn't have to end the matter if that third planet then goes on to translate the light by selecting the other significator as its next aspect (or collect the light if it's slower). If neither of these occur you would check the Moon to see if she can effect the matter and, failing that, check for antiscia. Only then, and assuming there's no mutual reception between significators, would you judge that the matter will not be effected.

4 Almuten

The Almuten is the planet with the greatest total of essential dignity at a particular degree. That is Domicile + Exaltation + Triplicity + Bounds + Decan. I'm not sure what you mean by overrule here. I can see two situations where you might think about it.

The first is using the Almuten as the significator or querent or quesited when it is not the ruler of the sign on the cusp. The only circumstances in which I would consider it is if querent and quesited would otherwise take the same planet. For example taking Saturn as the significator in a day chart when the cusp of the quesited is in Libra (for much of Libra Saturn is the Almuten); Venus also being Lord of the Ascendant. I will do this if there are no other planets in the house.

Secondly you might mean, where there is no aspect between significators but the Almuten of the Ascendant aspects the significator of the quesited or vice versa or even the Almuten of querent and quesited aspect.

For most of your charts this is very unlikely, if only because the Almuten is usually the ruler. Personally I would not do it in those rare occasions where it might be possible. I'm not convinced by the medieval scoring system and even less convinced that it's additive. Yes Saturn may be Exaltation ruler and Triplicity ruler but do those two outweigh Venus's rulership? Especially as these dignities have different origins.

ValerieMay

Dear Minderwiz,

Thank you for your kind reply. I have three more questions.

1. Would it make a difference how you read a horary if someone had asked
"Will we have a child?" vs "will I and {name) have a child together?".
Do I use Lord of Asce. (we) and Lord of 5th (the baby) or Lord of Asce (I) and Lord of 7th (him) and 5th for a child?

2. Do we always use the rulers of the houses as the significators or planets inside of the house? Basically I am asking if the planets in Quested or Questor's houses hold the same significance as the planets that rule Quested and Questor's houses? For instance, moon or Lord of asce aspects a resident of Questor's house or the planet that is in the house of the quested aspecting a planet that is inside of the 1st house. How would you read that?

3. If the chart makes no sense, do you ever toss the chart? Besides hour agreement, how do you validate the chart? I have had ran a few charts where they made no sense. I have to be honest, I have ran questions that just popped in my mind vs. well thought through. As an astrologer, how do you validate the chart or have you ever had a charts with same question asked by the same person and they gave you a conflicting answer?

Thank you,
Valerie

1 Antiscia.

Thank you!

4 Almuten

The Almuten is the planet with the greatest total of essential dignity at a particular degree. That is Domicile + Exaltation + Triplicity + Bounds + Decan. I'm not sure what you mean by overrule here. I can see two situations where you might think about it.

*** I was trying to dissect William Lilly. He mentions that if a planet ruler weaker essentially than almuten then use ruler. However, if the almuten is stronger essentially, then use almuten. **