A look into the future

RaeBelle

Glad to see you've decided to un-retire the thread and have posted some new cards! :)

I do like the owl with the High Priestess, it seems to suit her better. I'm not sure what the gold halo type object is behind her head. But I will definitely think more about it. I'm mildly fascinated by the fact that her face looks so young but her hands look older.

I normally don't like the Moon card in decks, but this one is lovely. The multiple moons are interesting. I believe I see 3 crescent and 2 full moons. It's very bright for a moon card, but I think that might be why it's so striking.

I hope this means you're back Ciro. I've missed seeing the development and your insights.

Green Eyed Envy

Ok, The Moon card has me sold! It's just so beautiful!

The 78th Fool

Awesome.

I'm glad you've decided to post these too. There are too many good artists and people in the pubishing game who have been driven off the boards by bitter sniping with no grounding or justification in it.

I love the Priestess in particular. Her stare is quite cold and intense. You couldn't get anywhere near her which, for me, sums up the essence of the card. It's wonderful to see the feminine aspect of the Moon portrayed so powerfully too. For me it harks back to the Visconti deck but framed with elements from later concepts of the Tarot.

Well nigh perfect as always.

Chris. xx

Netzach

Thank you for posting these images! I love the Moon . . . very evocative. And, yes, the owl looks so right with the HP. Just one thing (and it's not a criticism, just a personal opinion) - the HP looks very mysterious, but also very sad, which I don't think you mean her to be, do you?

cirom

RaeBelle said:
I do like the owl with the High Priestess, it seems to suit her better. I'm not sure what the gold halo type object is behind her head. But I will definitely think more about it.

I'm writing a book to accompany this deck which will consist of a story as well as the usual explanation of each card. The strange mechanical device here and in other cards will make more sense in the context of that story.

Netzach said:
Just one thing (and it's not a criticism, just a personal opinion) - the HP looks very mysterious, but also very sad, which I don't think you mean her to be, do you?

I wanted to portray her as serious rather than sad. The diference between the two can be very subtle visually. A nuance of the shape of the lips perhaps. But as with all the other feedback, I do take them into consideration, thankyou.

As for participation, I will continue to post the occassional image here (the moderators have been very supportive) and apparently some members are genuinly interested in seeing the development of a deck.

Alta

I too am very glad to see you again. I think that users alone do not make a balanced community, but artists, publishers and writers are needed to make a complete picture.

I love the new cards, so moody and atmospheric. I smiled in agreement to see the pomegranate in the hand of the High Priestess. How fitting for one who sees and suffers in silence, and who makes choices with deep and lasting effects. I also like that various symbols and the apparent tattoo show that she could be any time, any culture. (I don't find her sad btw, rather detached from the day-to-day and seeing inwardly.)

In The Moon I agree with Chris, that the lady looks so distant and unapproachable, as The Moon should be. Also like the use of the downward triangles and re-working of the symbols to give the atmospheric effect. The overall artistry of the card is wondrous.

Marion

Papageno

Marion said:
I smiled in agreement to see the pomegranate in the hand of the High Priestess. The overall artistry of the card is wondrous.

Marion

ditto :)

Aulruna

A hauntingly beautiful HP card!

I too love seeing a deck develop.

And I always cherish the input of artists and publishers on any given issue, because the diversity of viewpoints accelerates my learning.

lunakasha

cirom said:
I'm writing a book to accompany this deck which will consist of a story as well as the usual explanation of each card. The strange mechanical device here and in other cards will make more sense in the context of that story.

I am glad to see you back Ciro....and both cards are incredible.

The eyes of the High Priestess really drew me in....hard to pull away.
Very mysterious and haunting, as she should be.

I look forward to both the deck and your companion book, getting a sense of your own vision for the deck as well as in-depth analysis of each card. I usually find it much more interesting to read a companion book written by the artist/creator of the deck, rather than someone else.

Thanks Ciro....can't wait to see more!

:) Luna

Scion

Hey Ciro,

I have to confess... I've been on the fence with this new project.

I love that you're using historical research and basing this on theoretical origins. I'm curious about the narrative you're building alongside your "ancient materials." But some of these Images feel like they could be plunked into the other decks without a distinguishing ripple. A bit too much familiarity in tone, style, and symbol set, sometimes bordering on cliche. As others have said, I feared it would be Gilded Tarot of Dreams redux.

And then I saw your Moon!

I'm not totally sold. But the Moon is my make or break card for any deck and that's a bold, fresh take that I don't think I've seen before. Haunting and startling! In the hopes you'll keep pushing this envelope, I'll be keeping an eye on this "Future" of yours. :thumbsup:

Scion