Discussing Mars in Pisces

Minderwiz

Moongold,

Thanks for the compliment on the Avatar - yes it is Saturn - as he's my ruling planet (conjunct my Leo Ascendant) I've decided to give him his due.

On the essential dignities. I know you are familiar with rulerships - Mars rules Aries (and traditionally also rules Scorpio). You are also probably familiar with exaltation, Mars is also exalted in Capricorn. These two types of dignity are used by vritually all Astrologers today - though they may differ over the traditional rulerships.

However Rulership and Exaltation are not the only form of essential dignities. Ptolemy listed three other forms (and two debilities).

In order of strength (following on from exaltation) these are:

Triplicity - a dignity associated with Fire, Earth, Air, Water and also split into day and night rulership. Thus the Sun rules Fire signs by day and Jupiter rules them by night. So if you have Jupiter in Aries and were born after sunset it has dignity because it rules the triplicity (the same would be true in Jupiter was in Leo, or in Sagittarius and you were born after sunset). Although not nearly as strong as Rulership or Exaltation a planet with dignity by Terms is a rather fortunate placement. You might find it odd, until you remember Mars' rulership of Scorpio, that Mars has dignity by Terms in Water signs (both by day and by night). Venus rules Earth by day and the Moon rules Earth by night. Saturn rules Air signs by day (Traditional ruler of Aquarius) and Mercury rules Air by night.

Terms is not particularly fortunate - just about holding its own. Each sign has 5 Terms and to be honest I'm not clear on the way these were assigned by Ptolemy.

Lastly there is dignity by Face (decanate), based on the subdivision of each sign into 3 equal 10 degree segments. I haave seen two ways of assigning dignity here - Ptolemy starts with Mars ruling the first decan of Aries and then assigns every other decan (contiuning on through all twelve signs) according to chaldean order - thus the Sun rules the second of Aries, Venus the third, Mercury the first of Taurus, the Moon the second of Taurus, back to Saturn for the third of Taurus, Jupiter first of Gemini and so on.

The other system I've seen is to give the Ruling planet the first decan and the other two to the remaining two planets ruling that triplicity. Thus Aries would be Mars, Sun, Jupiter, Taurus would be Venus, Mercury, Saturn. T his dignity Liily described as being like a man ready to be turned out of doors - on his last gasp. However if the planet also has dignity from the other sources then it actually might become very strong

Ptolemy mentions three other conditions - Peregrine which is the absence of any dignity at all and Detriment and Fall which are situations where the planet is actually debilitated.

Lilly actually set up a points score method to calculate how strong a planet was in any chart, because it could have dignity by more than one of the above (and indeed by other factors as well).

AquarianGoddess

For Goodness sakes Minderwiz, are you SUCKING up to Saturn? You must be looking for REWARDS!!

AG

ps...hey, let me know if it works and I'll be happy to suck up to him too!

Baby Owl

Mars is in my 6th house (work and health).

I think my circumstances are pretty good for this transit. Mars can be associated with problems at work concerning relationships with co-workers, superiors, or employees. I work for myself, at home. (Robert Hand even says of Mars in the 6th: "The best solution is to maneuver yourself into a position where you don't have to work with or for others any more than necessary.")

As for health, it's significant that Mars represents the physical body. Hand says bottling up frustrations might translate into infections, illness, or accidents. My life is very low on frustration right now, so I hope to sidestep that pitfall.

Jupiter is in my 6th house at 02 Pisces, so I have a Mars/Jupiter conjunction approaching. I will keep Minderwitz's comments in mind since this aspect will further strengthen the effects brought on by Mars being in Pisces. Also Jupiter rules my Sun (Sagittarius), adding more significance.

Baby Owl

Minderwiz

AG,

If you can't beat him join him!!!!!!!!

Also he refuses to go away - he just sits there on my Ascendant saying 'get on with it' and 'work harder' and I keep pointing out that he's in Leo (in my natal chart) and should be using his rings as frisbies and doing what all good lions do - sleep for most of the day, then eat a bit (having sent the wife out to get the supper) and then sleep some more.

Perhaps if I show his picture he'll get the hint.

PS - you're an Aquarian you should suck up to him! AND he will reward you (providing you work hard enough at it :) )

purplefishy

In my natal chart, my mars is retrograde in Virgo...10th or 11th-ish house. I am not sure! Cuspy perhaps? So, that would be the house of friends according to what i could garner from astrology.com. Other than that, no idea how to interpret this placement. I already listed the aspects.

isthmus nekoi

purplefishy, your Mars (and Uranus!!) is coming up to conj your sun whilst opposing natal Mars/Jupiter activating the 4/10 house axis. This will be a time of much energy - both Mars and Uran are energizing planets. The areas this will play out into will generally concern your career and home life.

re: Saturn. I think the old man works too hard! He deserves a break. In fact, he should retire!

purplefishy

Wow..that's cool! I'm sort of trying to rope a job offer so we'll see how it goes............

isthmus nekoi

Woah, I didn't mention trans Jupiter is directly conj your MC (career). Now there's an opposition from Neptune and w/the harder aspects to Mr. Lalaland, there are no guarantees... But Jupiter is the great benific so hopefully this will work out for you. If this doesn't pan out, he'll still be in your 10th house for awhile :)

purplefishy

How long will it be in my 10th house?

Keslynn

My new SO has his natal Mars in Pisces so I'm obviously trying to find out what that means. What sort of characteristics does that lend? Energy put into spiritual pursuits? Longing to understand others at a fundamental level?

:) Kes