Useful Departure or Deviation?

DownUnderNZer

Might actually be this....

“Quite recently, it was discovered by Mary Greer that there was a prior source to the Lenormand cards,” she continues. “There’s a deck in the British Museum called ‘Les Amusements des Allemands’ (‘The German Entertainment’). Basically, a British firm put together a pack of cards that has images and little epigrams on the bottom, which say things like, ‘Be aware, don’t spend your money unwisely,’ and that sort of thing. It’s quite trite. But it came with a book of text that’s almost identical to the instructions for later packs of Lenormand cards.”

Barleywine

“Quite recently, it was discovered by Mary Greer that there was a prior source to the Lenormand cards,” she continues. “There’s a deck in the British Museum called ‘Les Amusements des Allemands’ (‘The German Entertainment’). Basically, a British firm put together a pack of cards that has images and little epigrams on the bottom, which say things like, ‘Be aware, don’t spend your money unwisely,’ and that sort of thing. It’s quite trite. But it came with a book of text that’s almost identical to the instructions for later packs of Lenormand cards.”

I seem to recall that Madame Lenormand spent considerable time in London, but don't remember seeing that she was exposed to the British deck (although her opportunistic commercial "heirs" may well have been). The researchers would probably know, or at least have an educated guess.

DownUnderNZer

Wish there was more history, photos or paintings, documents even written readings by them all. It is amazing what has been pieced together really though, but a shame not a lot about the "people" themselves.

Wonder if she was inspired then when in London. Interesting...... :)

I seem to recall that Madame Lenormand spent considerable time in London, but don't remember seeing that she was exposed to the British deck (although her opportunistic commercial "heirs" may well have been). The researchers would probably know, or at least have an educated guess.

Teheuti

Yes, the British Museum has a copy of the English-language book and deck called Coffee-Cards. However, these are said to be based on a Viennese set from a few years earlier - so, Austrian (which may be based on something that originated in Germany?).

Seraphina

My problem is not the meanings but trying to figure out what the best combo's are for me, and should I read from left to right or vise versa, but then again I still consider myself a newbie, I agree with Padma, Lenormand reading is tricky!