Recommendations for a newbie to Marseille Tarot

Abrac

As I'm sure you've already considered, don't be in too big a hurry to select your deck. If you ask the question a year from now you'll probably get completely different answers depending on what's trending.

The TdM is a "pattern" and isn't limited to decks produced in Marseille, or France even. Many are from Italy. Very often a deck won't have "Marseille" in its title at all but still has a Marseille pattern. There are many, many of them out there.

The Nicolas Conver tarot of 1760 is a very popular one and many reproductions are based on it. There's also the Jean Noblet tarot of 1650. The Jean Dodal tarot, early 1700s. The Claude Burdel tarot of 1751. The Tarocco di Besancon, c. 1818.

Il Meneghello has reproduced some nice Marseille decks. Worth checking out, but beware quality can vary quite a bit so buying preowned is a good idea. :)

Richard

As I'm sure you've already considered, don't be in too big a hurry to select your deck. If you ask the question a year from now you'll probably get completely different answers depending on what's trending.....
Good advice. I waited two years before deciding to get the rather pricey ISIS. That was long enough for the initial excitement to die down and get some objective opinions about it.

CBD is still riding the crest of a wave. It is very similar to the deservedly popular Grimaud-Marteau, which has been in print since 1930, but it uses a larger, more realistic color scheme. I still think that the Grimaud deserves to be in the collection of anyone who is interested in Conver type reconstructions. In fact, I have five Grimauds (various editions and sizes) and use it more than the CBD. A mini Grimaud goes with me everywhere in my motor vehicle.

elinne

As I'm sure you've already considered, don't be in too big a hurry to select your deck. If you ask the question a year from now you'll probably get completely different answers depending on what's trending.

Yes! More and more I am understanding this! There are SO many options to mull over when it comes to TdM.

You guys have been so great in posting and giving all kinds of guidance. I have a lot to think about :) I have to say I have been spending a ridiculous amount of time since posting here checking out various card scans and comparing. There is just so much to consider! And then there is always that personal factor of seeing scans vs. the feeling of the deck in hand.

At the moment, I am really liking the Tarot de Marseille Pierre Madenie 1709 by Yves (thank you for your post Yves!). But I am going to wait on buying it right away to see if the appeal sticks. I do very much like the decks that have that "old historic" feel to them though.

I love the excitement of searching for THE deck. Thanks again everyone!