The Gothic Tarot by Vargo – The Seven of Wands

Umbrae

A demon stands next to a broken column, grasps it, and appears to howl in defiance.

Often I have discussed the Masonic symbolism that Waite used in his 7 of Wands. Waite was a Freemason (as were most of the GD folks).

Here we have a repeat. It is too uncanny for Masonic symbolism to accidentally appear here, on this card. I’m willing to put money on the supposition that Vargo is a Freemason, and paid homage to Waite in a very subtle way. To bring in yet a completely different Masonic symbol on the same card…?

Oh yeah…we know this demon is not alone.

WolfyJames

He seems to be at the top of the place to see if any ennemies are coming; he seems to be expecting them anytime soon. He's alone though, he doesn't seem to be sure whether he's going to stay and fight and hold them all by himself, or, to be wise and let go of the fight if there are too numerous and strong.

Umbrae said:
Often I have discussed the Masonic symbolism that Waite used in his 7 of Wands. Waite was a Freemason (as were most of the GD folks).

Here we have a repeat. It is too uncanny for Masonic symbolism to accidentally appear here, on this card. I’m willing to put money on the supposition that Vargo is a Freemason, and paid homage to Waite in a very subtle way. To bring in yet a completely different Masonic symbol on the same card…?

Would you care to elaborate on this? We do not know much about Franc-Maçons, and you say that Franc-Maçons symbols appear on the card, like what?

Umbrae

On RWS, the shoe.

Here, the broken column. Hunt down a Masonic graveyard in your area and take a wander through...

and for fun...do it at night, alone...

(Mwahahahahaha)

Alissa

I don't know much about Masonic symbols either Wolfy, thanks for asking.... ;)

To me, this card looks just pissed. The demon looks like he just fought a fight, and he's ready to fight some more, a real "Bring It On~!" attitude is what I get.

The traditional meaning when I read 7 wands would be fighting many enemies off - these may be enemies of the mind in the form of thoughts, enemies in the real world in the form of people one is conflicting with.... Different kinds of enemies, often "unseen" or uanble to be clearly discerned, recognized.

Here, I just get the feeling that this guy has kicked some serious butt, and is caught mid howl atop his perch - a victorious, and yet challenging howl.

There are two bats to his lower left. I think they're helping ... familiars perhaps, acting as the demon's extra eyes, on the lookout. Bats have extraordinary hearing ... perhaps they can symbolize the need to "listen HARD" in the coming time in order to be best prepared for the fight that's at hand.

mercenary30

Seven of Wands

The sky is filled with dark stormy clouds. Standing on the rocky ruins of an old building we see a very large and powerful demon of some sort. There is the possibility that this is a gargoyle, but I don’t think so. There are two bats flying toward the front of the card, they are near the bottom right of the card. The demon’s right hand is on the broken remains of a column. The demon’s wings are out stretched, not for flight but for balance. Its fierce howl can be heard on the wind; welcoming the challenge brought by the bearers of the six wands that can be partially seen below the buildings remains. The seventh wand can be found in front of the column next to the demon, close at hand should it decide to use it.

Over the centuries, the clan has faced many enemies. Due to their very nature, they are both feared and despised by not only the forces of light and those races they protect, but also many in the forces of dark. The clan is very powerful, and has many dangerous allies, they are a political as well as a military threat to any who wish to dominate. The consequence of this is they are constantly protecting their interests and holdings somewhere. This constant struggle has tempered them into a finely tuned machine at all levels of existence. This demon ally is defending his underground lair from an enterprising group of adventurers bent on fame and fortune. Many of the demons minions have already been destroyed or scattered, and now he is prepared to deal with them himself. The situation looks bleak for the demon, but those who are here to force him back to the abyss are in for a bit of a surprise. Not only can this abyssal warrior take up the magic wand in defense, but those two bats that are about to arrive are two vampires who were sent to aid the demon. It is one of their most powerful and useful associates, and its loss would be a very bad blow to the stability of the clan holdings.

annik

The demon seems to be saying : " I am strong and you are not a threat". Whoever facing him, he is ready to fight to the end. He is quite impressive and menacing. He do a nice power display.