What's your favourite crystal/gem/precious stone!!

Chronata

Ninamagic said:
OHHHH... do you actually own an Alexandrite????
I'm almost dying to get one but they are extremely expensive here :(

xxx
Nina

I do have an Alexandrite! And it is natural...alas it was very very expensive!
Because it was an alternate birthstone for June (Pearl is ok...but...)I had to have one! With help from a friend who frequents gem shows... I hunted one down.

Mine is so tiny it is actually smaller than the head of a pin!

But you can see it turn from a garnety red to a dazzling green! and once it bacame sort of purpley!

One of the coolest stones ever!

and if you get the lab created versions...those change color as well!

Nina*

Chronata said:
lab created versions
:confused: I didn't know...
:eek: I don't think I would want such one..... how do you know when it is natural?

musichawk4

my favorite stones

Ruby...rainbow moonstone

Jokell

Ninamagic said:
:confused: I didn't know...
:eek: I don't think I would want such one..... how do you know when it is natural?

Lab created gem stones look almost perfect but are much less expensive. A lab created stone is one made in a lab under the same situations a natural stone is formed. It's a controlled and sped up process and that is why it costs much less. They are very beautiful still!

wizzle

Not only are synthetic stones beautiful, but I find they work well for me. Not quite as good as natural, but nearly and at a fraction of the cost. However, they do need to have a crystaline structure similar to the natural stone, imo.

Since I'm a total sucker for anything sparkly, I love CZ's as a substitute for diamond (which I also have). They are about as good as zircon, I find, and much less expensive. And since their refractive index is actually higher than a diamond's, they are very energetic.

I agree that the complete clairity of a synthetic stone is give-away regarding natural versus synthetic. But you have to have a loupe to see the difference. A synthetic will be "loupe clear." And if you are getting a loupe clear stone at a low price, you are not getting the real thing. Remember the old saying.... if it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't.

elviefae

My favorite is Amethyst.

Followed by: Moonstone, Rose Quartz and Turqouise.

catlin

Currently my favs are: Larimar, Star Ruby, Golden Obsidian.

Tabby

Favorite Precious Stones

That would be, right now, my Super 7 in a close tie with my Amethyst.

OakDragon

Hmm... tough question!

Probably either hematite, malachite, fluorite, or charoite, depending on my mood.

ciliegia

Dominican Larimars:)I have bought many..
it looks like blue ocean.