Interesting things to store decks in?

astronautica

I went to a craft exhibition with my mother yesterday and found this (in a stall selling tiny clothes and hats and bags for teddy bears!):

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g385/fjastro91/box1.jpg
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g385/fjastro91/box2.jpg

I've been looking for something to store my decks in for a while - they get beaten up a little too quickly in my handbag! - and I'm quite in love with this! It's sturdy and transportable, with enough space for 3-4 decks and a pouch in the lid for notes or herbs and incense to make it smell nice :)

So I was just wondering, what treasures have you found along the way to keep your decks in? :)

greatdane

That's just GRAND, Astronautica!

Seems a wondrous and most fitting case for decks!

Penthasilia

There is a wonderful seller on Etsy who makes gorgeous boxes for tarot decks.

She also makes boxes that will hold a deck + runes if you use those, or stones, etc.

Great stuff, I like the boxes as it keeps them safer than the traditional bags, and you can store your reading cloth in there as well.

Her inventory on here is low now, but she is always willing to make custom stuff!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/AlaskaLaserMaid?section_id=5340571

Debra

That's our WalesWoman.

She gives a discount to AT members--posted somewhere in advertisements here.

tarotbear

Now, that is both adorable and a good way to keep the book and the deck together!

When I saw the first pic I had no idea of scale and thought you were putting all your decks together in a classy suitcase, but that is really cute!

Most of my 'stored' decks are in wooden boxes, handmade, that I bought at fairs and such. You can also buy small wooden boxes you finish yourself at most large craft stores. One deck is in a stained glass box, and one box was actually a small damaged jewelry box i got for $1, ripped out the guts and made a nice deck storage box from it.

Penthasilia

That's our WalesWoman.

She gives a discount to AT members--posted somewhere in advertisements here.

Yippeee- thanks for letting me know. I will have to search for it, since I do love her stuff :D

Laura Borealis

The most unusual thing I have decks stored in isn't very unusual. It's a small wooden box for wine bottles. It holds eight decks comfortably. I have some in bags, and one in a smaller wooden box (made for tarot decks, much like WalesWoman's but undecorated and with a sliding lid). The others are in a file cabinet drawer. I only just today got them all organized like this... before, they were scattered in three different rooms... so I feel rather productive :D

astronautica

Thanks for the link, Penthasilia! I think I've stumbled across her etsy store before but haven't been able to find it again! She makes the most beautiful things... I've been eyeing off her runes!

Now, that is both adorable and a good way to keep the book and the deck together!

When I saw the first pic I had no idea of scale and thought you were putting all your decks together in a classy suitcase, but that is really cute!

Most of my 'stored' decks are in wooden boxes, handmade, that I bought at fairs and such. You can also buy small wooden boxes you finish yourself at most large craft stores. One deck is in a stained glass box, and one box was actually a small damaged jewelry box i got for $1, ripped out the guts and made a nice deck storage box from it.

Why thank you! :) I would love a big classy suitcase for my decks but have never been able to find anything quite right that wasn't too expensive! And I'll have to keep an eye out for boxes at craft stores... you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find them in my city! $1 jewelry box? Bargain! :)

The most unusual thing I have decks stored in isn't very unusual. It's a small wooden box for wine bottles. It holds eight decks comfortably. I have some in bags, and one in a smaller wooden box (made for tarot decks, much like WalesWoman's but undecorated and with a sliding lid). The others are in a file cabinet drawer. I only just today got them all organized like this... before, they were scattered in three different rooms... so I feel rather productive :D

Ohh, I love things like that! Giving everyday objects a new use :) It sounds like it would be a good way to keep special decks separate, and nice and tidy. Congratulations on your organisational-ness! De-cluttering is such a good feeling (my decks are currently taking over the bedroom, my office and the living room...) :)

And I would love to see a pic of your coffin, Minotauro!

Le Fanu

Why thank you! :) I would love a big classy suitcase for my decks but have never been able to find anything quite right that wasn't too expensive! And I'll have to keep an eye out for boxes at craft stores... you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find them in my city!
Don't know if this is "classy" - probably not - but I found this vintage suitcase dumped by the recycling bin when out walking a friend's Great Dane hound. It's clean, just old. I use it as my bedside deck store to be grabbed in an emergency - fire? Earthquake? - with most used decks inside.

But recently, my most used decks have sprawled beyond the confines of this meagre suitcase.

Attachments

• SDC11470.JPG
    SDC11470.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 261