2 of Cups - Where are they standing?

ravenest

Waite says of the Two of Cups: "It is a variant of a sign which is found in a few old examples of this card." Here is an "old example" from the Grimaud Grand Etteilla. Definitely alchemical.

Definitely ! The two of cups in anyone's book (deck) is 'alchemical' in that:

Being a 2 it is very close to the pure source ...we call it love but it is very pure love (not the 'I love a beer' type of love). Crowley talks about the idea of 'charge' and chemical combinations - 'irresistible attractions' in the world of chemistry; forces(physical in chemistry and 'metaphysical' in alchemy and hormonal in biology.
The influence of Venus ( suggested in the etymological relationship of the root venes- with Latin venenum {poison, venom}, in the sense of "a charm, magic philtre". Which is why the cups can appear as a type of chemical or alchemical vessel. [The vessel in your example seems extremely volatile! Also. note the serpents; again , venenum.]

The potency of this 'draft' is further supported by cancer in that;

The crab is a symbol of powerful gripping and holding power. (The force of the 'philtre' and its irresistible effect on the body chemistry / hormones).

The verb 'to crab', is to drift sidewise ... the greater effect of the 'potion' as opposed to the effect of the conscious decisions (to move forward)

The idea of cancer as the 'container' or alembic as well in that it encloses and brings to development the forces within ( Cancer : the mother : the house hold : the nurturing environment : etc.

Richard

Being alchemical, I would have thought that the Sola Busca 2/C might be somewhat similar to the Etteilla, but it even departs from the traditional TdM.

Attachments

• twocups.jpg
    twocups.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 174

Zephyros

Yes, I agree. I would say though, that it is even more than close to the source as it is the first actual demonstration of the element, and is somewhat unique in that respect, compared to the other twos. It is the nature of love to be shared, i.e., to love something or someone. The Ace is the perfect unity of love, but it doesn't love anything, it simply loves. This card's importance is in that it shows that love is the engine of the universe, the wedding of opposites.

Notice also, how the other suits' Chochmas play off the male/female dynamic. Dominion shows the mere presence of power, yet nothing has been done yet with it. Peace shows the mind in perfect balance and equilibrium, yet nothing has actually been thought yet. Change alone is akin to Love, in that it shows the transfer from the abstract to the material, the "above" inseminating the "below." The two "female" Chochmas show interaction, while the two "males" raw material.

The astrological attribution, apart from all other concerns, is essentially what the card depicts, two cups. The receptive womb of the love of Venus (the Empress) toasting the protective shell encasing Spirit of Cancer (the Chariot).

Such a beautiful card. :)

Richard

......Notice also, how the other suits' Chochmas play off the male/female dynamic. Dominion shows the mere presence of power, yet nothing has been done yet with it. Peace shows the mind in perfect balance and equilibrium, yet nothing has actually been thought yet. Change alone is akin to Love, in that it shows the transfer from the abstract to the material, the "above" inseminating the "below." The two "female" Chochmas show interaction, while the two "males" raw material.....
Wow! I never noticed that before. It even shows in the TdM to some extent.

Attachments

• twos.jpg
    twos.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 156

ravenest

So... where are they standing?

In an 'alchemical conjunction'.

Margo9023

Yes, I agree. I would say though, that it is even more than close to the source as it is the first actual demonstration of the element, and is somewhat unique in that respect, compared to the other twos. It is the nature of love to be shared, i.e., to love something or someone. The Ace is the perfect unity of love, but it doesn't love anything, it simply loves. This card's importance is in that it shows that love is the engine of the universe, the wedding of opposites.

Notice also, how the other suits' Chochmas play off the male/female dynamic. Dominion shows the mere presence of power, yet nothing has been done yet with it. Peace shows the mind in perfect balance and equilibrium, yet nothing has actually been thought yet. Change alone is akin to Love, in that it shows the transfer from the abstract to the material, the "above" inseminating the "below." The two "female" Chochmas show interaction, while the two "males" raw material.

The astrological attribution, apart from all other concerns, is essentially what the card depicts, two cups. The receptive womb of the love of Venus (the Empress) toasting the protective shell encasing Spirit of Cancer (the Chariot).

Such a beautiful card. :)

Hi Closrapexa and LRichard! Wow! All this information is wonderful im really learning a lot - this is what I would say is what studying the cards is all about. Thank you for all this information. :)

ravenest

What? My information is no good now ? :laugh:

Just as well LRichard deleted his post ... otherwise you would see what info he is really offering :laugh: :laugh: ... pretty good though (he has learnt to self moderate .... I haven't).

Margo9023

What? My information is no good now ? :laugh:

Just as well LRichard deleted his post ... otherwise you would see what info he is really offering :laugh: :laugh: ... pretty good though (he has learnt to self moderate .... I haven't).

Hi ravenest,! Hummmm..... I missed something.......:confused: