How do you pronnounce Tarot?

CelestialHorse

I will admit i used to say it "tar-rott" but then I heard it's not how you say it but I heard that it's said two different ways. I know say it like "Tar-row" With the tar similar to the first part of the word Tara. and the 2nd part like row.

I also heard people say it like "tur-row"

How do you guys say it? Is there a right way or doesn't really matter?

Luna-Ocean

I've always pronounced it ''Tar-row'' i think for me this is how it should be used but of course there is really no right or wrong way on how people say it? Tar-rott does sound abit odd no offence to anyone who say it like that. ;)

missyjean130

Tayr-oh?

I've heard actual readers pronounce the T on the end. So confusing.

canid

It IS confusing! There's a really old thread here somewhere...but I pronounce it like 'tear' (not the liquid that comes out of your eyes but as in tearing paper). 'Tear-Oh'. Some make it rhyme with 'carrot' ie 'tarrot', I met a really out-there lady at a bookstore that even had huge eye movements going on when she said 'Tuh-rooooh', all woo-woo. I was kinda looking at her askance as was the sales clerk but when she asked me if I was going to convince someone to purchase that deck I was looking at for me cause you're just not allowed to buy your own...well, that spoke volumes. Bull-*cough*.

CelestialHorse

LOL I was told too you can't buy your own tarot but meh my cards sometimes seem to work well for me so MEH! :p (Besides it's hard NOT too because of the art :heart: SO PREEEETTY!)

Yeah it is confusing indeed. I guess there are diff. versions of saying it? D:

samantha

Rhymes with Sparrow ?! :)

gregory

Rhymes with Sparrow ?! :)

What she said. But hey, there's tomato and potato - pronunciation cannot be set in stone ! As long as people understand what you say....

Shade

Like Marrow.

Elegant people usually say tuh-ROH (I seem to have noticed).

I really live to put on my best fake 1940s hollywood Gypsy accent and say TAY-roh cards. But just for special occasions.

gregory

The only people I know who pronounce it with the stress on the second syllable are native French and German speakers....

Richard

Why not pronounce the t and make it rhyme with carrot? The silent t sounds affected and snobby, almost as bad as putting the accent on the last syllable. However, I usually make the t silent in order to be understood.