Letting others touch your decks

Do you let other people touch your decks?

• Yes. I let anyone touch my decks. The more the merrier.

Votes: 56 41.5%
  • No. I will let a querent shuffle, but outside of that, I don't let others touch my decks.

Votes: 23 17.0%
  • No. I won't even let querents shuffle them. NOBODY touches my decks.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • Other: Please specify

Votes: 35 25.9%

• Total voters

bigcaat

Kobarot said:
All of my decks I allow others to touch if they want me to read with that deck for them.

But beyond that, some decks I am casual with (Robin Wood, Gilded, Dragon, Rider-Waite) and some I am more superstitious about (Feng Shui Tarot, Thoth). The ones I am superstitious about aren't allowed to be touched by others unless for a reading.
What makes you feel casual about some decks and what is it about some decks where you have that superstition? Just curious.

Caat

satinangel

I chose "more the merrier." For the big reason, my Mom taught me to share! :)

The 2nd reason is that as of this moment in time, I do not have a deck that cannot easily be replaced...now I am waiting for one in the mail, that is a little more difficult to get your hands on...so that one may have it's very own set of rules. Will have to wait and see.

Now...if someone had very dirty hands...then I might tell them no and blame it on superstition! (Sorry a bit of a germaphobe here!)

dandelion

bigcaat said:
My thought has always been that people's energies rub off on my deck and I don't want to have to bother cleansing them. Of course, I let my querents handle them when I'm reading for them, but outside of that, I'm very sensitive to energy.
BigCaat, I can certainly relate to this kind of sensitivity. I suppose that for that reason, just as I am selective about whom I spend my time with, and whom I invite through my front door, I would be attentive to whom I might offer my deck.

I don't generally feel a need to "cleanse" my deck after letting someone else handle it - so long as the person is respectful with the cards, I see new encounters as a way to enrich my connection with a deck.

WildSong

I fall under the other category.

I don't normally let people touch my deck unless I know them very well. I have a few friends that read tarot themselves and let me practice on them that I let touch them. Other than those people, I just let them shuffle. And only shuffle unless they want to pick up one of the cards that I put down and look at it closely.

SunChariot

I am not comfortable with anyone touching my decks. Of course I only read for other by e-mail so the issue of querent's touching my decks does not come up.

My decks are highly spiritual tools for me. And the idea of someone touching them who might not have the proper reverence for them of see them as tools used to contact the divine (which they are for me) makes me cringe.

Bar

SarahRose

I chose yes, but out of my 7 decks, I have one that only I touch, my "personal deck." After I had made the decision that that deck was to be my personal one, one of my friends (who is used to touching my decks) picked it up to start shuffling and I was like "Please put it down right now." LOL

My other decks, others can touch them. Well, not strangers, but my friends. I would let querents touch them if I read for anyone besides friends yet.

My beliefs in tarot are so eclectic, I find. I don't generally believe that decks are anything beyond cardboard and ink, but then Im kind of picky about my personal deck being touched, lol.

Diva3000

I usually do not let people browse through my decks... if they are curious ill show them or I will take them over to peoples houses to do readings and such. But as for fondling them (outside of a reading of course) then no i dont let people touch them... its sort of superstitious.. I view my cards as a special friend, one I am still getting to know... in a relationship it would be hard to get to know someone if there were always a "third wheel" so to speak i guess i just feel the same way about my cards.

I voted No, Unless the quierent is shuffling

Elnor

I chose 'Other'; I will let clients shuffle, and I have decks that I take to events where I will be reading- but I have one deck that is my own personal one which only I use.

If I didn't feel comfortable with someone, then I wouldn't let them handle my cards... and if I have had them at a public event where they have been shuffled and used by a lot of different clients then I will cleanse them, (by smudging) before I put them away.

elnor

AJ

I enjoy letting someone look at my cards or decks, but I wouldn't let them shuffle. people don't play card games much any more so don't have the practice we do, and I wouldn't want a card bent. I'd feel bad and they'd feel bad..and that wouldn't be good for anyones reading. The reading is what is important. So I voted Other

greycats

Unless somebody's after me with a propane torch, I'm pretty dense about energy. If I have any worries, they are about the physical condition of the cards, so I tend to do the shuffling myself. On the other hand, I encourage touching, looking and asking questions. (I'm assuming there's no chocolate or motor oil in the mix. ;) ) I do have a few decks that cannot easily be replaced, but I don't leave them lying about.