Bernardin Suzanne TdM Reproduction

Bluefeet

Hi TdM lovers!

Bernardin Suzanne TdM of 1839 is a fascinating one among all historical TdM decks. It's one of the very last TdM decks that are actually printed in the city of Marseilles and thus historically significant. It's probably best known for being created by a woman, since "Suzanne" can be interpret as a female given name. In fact, "Suzanne" turns out to be the family name of this male card maker Bernardin Suzanne. Therefore, the well-known theory about "the TdM made by a woman" is actually inaccurate.

I acquired my own copy of this deck about a year ago. I cherish my original copy and I have been thinking about creating a reproduction of it, so I can share its beauty to more people.

Today, I handmade 22 trump cards of this lovely deck and I can't wait to share them. The cards and card backs were first printed separately and then glued onto a flexible card stock. The back pattern is a new design, which is different from the original deck.

Here are some pictures of the sample copy, I will be making full 78-card reproduction if there's interest for this deck. The cards only provides a brief idea of how the reproduction looks like, I'm still trying out different technique to enhance the image quality. If you have any comments or suggestions please let me know.

Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• Bernardin Suzanne 1.jpg
    Bernardin Suzanne 1.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 552
  • Bernardin Suzanne 2.jpg
    Bernardin Suzanne 2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 622
  • Bernardin Suzanne 3.jpg
    Bernardin Suzanne 3.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 467
  • Bernardin Suzanne 4.jpg
    Bernardin Suzanne 4.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 454
  • Bernardin Suzanne 5.jpg
    Bernardin Suzanne 5.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 432

frelkins

Do you have the rights to legally reproduce this deck?

Bluefeet

Do you have the rights to legally reproduce this deck?

I'm not very familiar with copyright laws, but I do believe that if I own the original antique deck, I have the rights to reproduce from the images of that particular deck. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Inconnu

Always good to see an antique pack made available again. I don't think I've seen this one before. Thanks for posting & good luck with the project.

OnePotato

I'm not very familiar with copyright laws, but I do believe that if I own the original antique deck, I have the rights to reproduce from the images of that particular deck. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Hello EnchantedShadow.

Yes, you do have the rights to reproduce this deck.
The artwork was produced in 1839, and the artist has been dead for over 100 years, and you are copying from the original work.
I don't see any question.

Looks like you have done some very nice work.
Thank you for sharing it.

Yves Le Marseillais

Tarots of Marseille are back

Hello Enchanted Shadow,

I see that a good emulation based on quality of reproduction is now increasing speed of publication.

This is a good result and I bet that many new competitors will arise in coming years and months..

When I started to gather images and scans of historical TdM pattern decks, I just wanted also to share my passion.

Putting another back is not a big problem but rather a sort of "signature" of your own trace in this limited period of Time that we momently share in Space and Time.

I will buy your full deck version in due time no problem: Count me in !

Salutations from Marseille City Capitale of Tarot

Yves

kenji

One more full deck is booked

I second Yves. Hurrah!:)

Bluefeet

Always good to see an antique pack made available again. I don't think I've seen this one before. Thanks for posting & good luck with the project.

Thanks for your kind words, I will post more pictures after I finished the full deck. :)

Hello EnchantedShadow.

Yes, you do have the rights to reproduce this deck.
The artwork was produced in 1839, and the artist has been dead for over 100 years, and you are copying from the original work.
I don't see any question.

Looks like you have done some very nice work.
Thank you for sharing it.

Great, thank you for the information. I really appreciate it. I'm glad you like the pictures!

Hello Enchanted Shadow,

I see that a good emulation based on quality of reproduction is now increasing speed of publication.

This is a good result and I bet that many new competitors will arise in coming years and months..

When I started to gather images and scans of historical TdM pattern decks, I just wanted also to share my passion.

Putting another back is not a big problem but rather a sort of "signature" of your own trace in this limited period of Time that we momently share in Space and Time.

I will buy your full deck version in due time no problem: Count me in !

Salutations from Marseille City Capitale of Tarot

Yves

Thank you Yves for your support! At this point, the deck is far from complete, since I still need to adjust the colors and lines to make them look closer to the original. I will post more updates later when I send these to the printer. I'm more then happy to put you down for one full deck! :)

I second Yves. Hurrah!:)

And one deck for you as well, Kenji! Thank you for your kind comments!

gregory

Excellent work. Please put me down for one, too :)

kenji

And one deck for you as well, Kenji! Thank you for your kind comments!

Thanks!:)

Well, I forgot to add: the back pattern you made looks so charming, but I think it would be better to make the back identical to the original.
(I imagine many of the fans of historical decks here will agree...)

Anyway, I will be eagerly looking forward to the updates;)