Tarot of Vampyres: The Fool

Jesii

Our first thread!!!!! Starting out with the first card of the majors :) The Fool
Jesii xxxx

Jesii

Just thought I'd jump in and start :)
This is the one card in any deck that I nearly never like. And it's the same here. It doesn't appeal to me, but it is interesting. Instead of the typical physical danger, it's almost a mental danger, the Fool will not fall over a cliff, but fall into a darker world? He's echoing the shape of the bird, almost like he is longing for freedom, but from what?

Jes xxx

HighPriestess

I see this Fool as someone who is celebrating his freedom! His arms are spread wide, echoing the bird in the sky. It almost looks to me like he's performing the first few steps in a dance. There's also light breaking through the clouds, which calls to mind a 'light at the end of the tunnel' sort of image.

However, sunlight (if that light is to be seen as such) is dangerous to vampires, but this Fool obviously doesn't care, he's so caught up in the ecstasy of the moment.

I also found it interesting that when I first looked at this card, I thought the Fool was female, but the book refers to the Fool as 'he'. Still, if the Fool is supposed to be an "everyman" (everyperson?) then I can see why Daniels would choose to make his fool look more androgynous.

Chiriku

HighPriestess said:
However, sunlight (if that light is to be seen as such) is dangerous to vampires, but this Fool obviously doesn't care, he's so caught up in the ecstasy of the moment.

I really appreciate this interpretation.

I've only seen the card online, but it reminds me of the old 1970s John Travolta made-for-TV movie "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble."

I don't want to give away the movie, but the same concept is the same: flinging oneself with abandon into the heart of the very thing that can harm you, because it fulfills something in you or calls to you in such a way that you just can't ignore its siren song.

OctoberGwen

Chiriku said:
flinging oneself with abandon into the heart of the very thing that can harm you, because it fulfills something in you or calls to you in such a way that you just can't ignore its siren song.

Yes! And while we sometimes need to exercise caution, that joyous abandon affords us moments when we truly feel most alive.

Many Fools, though, just look sort of goofy to me. This Vampyre Fool is absolutely reveling in his Foolishness, and thus does not seem foolish at all. He is making a very conscious move here, not blundering along blindly.

I love the flock of ravens circling overhead, and that shaft of light breaking through the clouds.

HearthCricket

I love this card! (Yep, you will hear that often!) There he is, dancing on his grave with a deep bow saying "I have conquered the grave, my new life as a vampire begins!" Cup in one hand as he toasts his new found freedom, another delicately holding a rose representing his ecstasy, as well as the blood on the white showing loss of innocence. He echoes the shape of the larger raven with his arms stretched out. He has no idea what the price of being a vampire is. He doesn't care about the risks or the dangers, the heartache of never having a peaceful rest. His hunger has not reached him. He is fresh and ready to set out, and, if not careful, quite capable of being burned by the sun. To me this card asks if, as one heads out on a new journey, are you in a state of reckless abandonment or one of youthful joy? Triumph in Ecstasy!

Quester

Eyes closed he seems to be willing himself to fly with the ravens.

inanna_tarot

who was this person when he was alive? Was he weighed down with responsibilities? an abusive family? Someone on lived on the edge of society with no friends and no allies?

And now look at him,, the Fool is FREE from all those old ties, free from the trappings of life that weighed him down. For the first time ever this undead man is alive for the very first time.
A cup of the transformative blood? Or is it a cup of wine for his revelry at this moment?

He is very much a happy, carefree, totally open, joyous fool. There is nothing there but happiness, freedom and the ability for ANYTHING to happen. If you have just conquered the fine line between life and death, then all mental blocks of what is and isn't reality is totally removed.

I love this Fool.. I think its my most favourite Fool ever!

DaughterOfDanu

Looking at the masks on the tomb I find that they show all the possibilities that could happen on his path. And if you notice the masks each show each suits animal vampyre side and in the colour of the suit.
Cats- Wands
Serpents- Cups
Birds- Swords
Wolves- Suits

It also shows that the Fool doesn't just go through the major arcana, that within each major he finds himself dealing with the minors as well.

I'm also looking at the connection between the animals and the suits. But that can be addressed when we get to each suit. :)

This is my first study group input. Hope I added something useful!

tarot heart

The Fool

The Fool card is one of the best in the deck. I look at this card and I immediately think CREATE! This fool is bursting from his grave as the moonlight shines down upon him to give light. At first, I saw the suits of skulls, sceptres and grails but I did not see knives. Then the book mentions that the crows flying above symbolize the air cards - Knives!

I love the way the blood appears to be exploding out of his veins. His arms open and ready to take flight as do the crows above. The book also explains that the animal masks below him are the elements of each suit that the Fool uses concoct whatever he desires. This fool tell us that the possibilities are indeed limitless and that we need to take that leap of faith that every fool has ever taken in tarot.

This may be the best fool card I have ever seen in a deck.

ETA: I also think this Fool looks like Johnny Weir doing one of his skating routines! I like it! A lot!