Your Thoughts on 78DW?

Phoenix

Hey all,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on 78DW. I have seen a lot of people talking about this book, and was thinking of getting it. What is included in this book??

I have read other books by Rachel Pollack(the Haindl Tarot books), and loved her writing.

Emily

Hi Phoenix,

I only have the first part of the book, the one about the Majors but it's a handy book to have if you use the Rider Waite or clones. It's a little bit like Joan Bunnings book, 'Learning the tarot' (the popular one, think thats the title lol ). It goes into depth on each card, working its way from The Fool to The World. I think the book now comes as one volume but I bought this one second hand. I am thinking of getting the full set lol :)

wavebreaker

I've got the "full set", which includes both the majors and the minors.
I have to disagree with Emily though, I don't think it's like Joan Bunning's book at all. Joan Bunning's book is more like a course, with exercises. It does contain descriptions of all the individual cards, but these focus mainly on the meanings of the cards. Rachel Pollacks descriptions however don't focus just on meanings, but go into the symbolism of the cards as well. I find Rachel Pollacks descriptions of the cards much more in-depth than Joan Bunning's descriptions. This isn't meant as a criticism of Joan Bunning though, I found her book great to start with and I see 78DW more as a "next step", to get deeper into the cards.
But that's just my opinion of course. ;)

Maan

For me 78 DW was the book that got me contemplating the images on the cards instead of remembering the standard meanings of the cards. Somehow i find it easier to remember here stories about the visual aspects of the card and in the meanwhile finding some of my own intrepetations.

Anyway i think this is a great book and every tarot reader should have it!!!!

starfish66

Maan said:
For me 78 DW was the book that got me contemplating the images on the cards instead of remembering the standard meanings of the cards. Somehow i find it easier to remember here stories about the visual aspects of the card and in the meanwhile finding some of my own intrepetations.

Anyway i think this is a great book and every tarot reader should have it!!!!
Maan,

I agree completely! :) As a newbie to Tarot, I read the posts concerning good books to have and purchased 78 DW - and have loved it right from the start. I feel it has helped me grasp the meanings of the cards better by reading the imagery and not just memorizing key words.

Kayne, if you haven't done so already ;), order this book! Definitely a great addition to my tarot book collection.

:T9C Starfish

Keslynn

I'm with Maan and Starfish on how it helped my development. I not only learned the traditional meanings, but by learning the things that led to that particular meaning, I also learned the process. Now I can apply the process to get meanings from all my decks. I don't feel that this book will stop intuitive readings. In fact, I think it enhances the potential.

Love it Love it Love it

Buy it!

*uses Tarotholic Force* (copyright Pollux) ;)

:) Kes

Phoenix

Uhhh, starfish, I just thought that I should point this out to you. I'm not Kayne. LOL!! But don't feel bad, I confuse Liliana and Jewel all the time!

starfish66

I am SO sorry, Phoenix!

Ugh, can you tell I am loopy on my cold meds? I have a humdinger of a summer cold and have so many meds in me, it's surprising that I can read the posts.

My humblest of apologies... But, I still think you should get the 78 DW - awesome book.

:T9C Starfish

Phoenix

That's ok! I know EXACTLY what you are going through!

I am definately getting this book(thanks to Kiama!) SO I am looking forward to getting it!

emily2otters

this was my first tarot book, and it's a doozie!

i hungered for knowledge, and rachel pollack set before me a vast smorgasbord of ideas/perspectives/approaches to the tarot.

i recommend it, but only if you're up for a serious feast.