HallowQuest lesson 12 - The Cauldron

PathWalker

This lesson contains a guided meditation centred on the Cauldron, and a reading.

"Ninefold Sisters Reading"

1. The Energizer: what needs more energy in this situation?
2. The Measurer: what are the limitations of the matter?
3. The Protector: how does the matter need protection?
4. The Initiator: what will lead you deeper into the matter?
5. The Challenger: what challenges will hone and shape it?
6. The Deliverer: what need liberating in the matter?
7. The Weaver: what creative aspects are still lacking?
8. The Preserver: what will sustain this?
9. The Empowerer: what gives it final empowerment?

Pathwalker

PathWalker

"Ladies of the Lake"

The lesson this week is quite brief, but the HallowQuest book has the suggestion that if you are interested, you might read the Matthews' book "Ladies of the Lake"
I picked up a copy of this via ABE books at a good price, and will be reading over the next week or so. I may post comments here, or just move on to the lesson content :)

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
ETA Well, it's an interesting book, although somewhat convoluted (as Matthews' texts sometimes are) so a little hard to follow in some parts.

It has visulisations for each maiden, which I will work through on my second read-through, and I'm hoping by the end I will feel more of an affinity for the maidens on the Cauldron card, and make the work with that card more meaningful.

Worth a try if you can get a copy :)

PathWalker

The Cauldron - meditation

I stand beside the river; I hear its gurgle and rush, follow its flow. A stream breaks away and flows apart, I step along beside it. The ground is damp, water plants grow thickly. I follow to the mouth of a cave large enough to walk into, damp and cool. I go inside, always following the water.
As it gets darker I see light ahead, orange/yellow firelight. The water plunges away underground, but I see a side cave, warm, glowing, and I see the cauldron over a fire. As I step in there’s a tingling sensation like I’ve stepped into some other place.
The air here is dry and warm, scented with wood smoke and something else, that tingles in the nose. The women there smile in greeting.
“Welcome Seeker, Pathwalker, Quester. Come in further, and meet your life-line guide” one says, and taking my briefly by the wrist she leads me away to a smaller side cave, lit by a fire, a woman sits there.
(note to self – not heard the expression ‘life-line guide’ before)

She has a shawl wrapped around her, and over her head, she is old, but her eyes are bright, brown-black and so familiar. She smiles and lifts her chin in greeting – I sit opposite her.
“You have walked a long way, but you’re not far along the journey yet.” She says. “Do you want to keep walking?”
I tell her I do. “Let me see your feet then” she says, and taking off my shoes I give her first my right foot. She takes out some ointment, pungent and bitter-smelling, and starts to rub the bottom of my foot.
“Why do you walk alone?” she asks me. I think, and then reply “They don’t want to walk my path.”
“Ah yes, each has their own path to walk.” She tells me.
“Are you alone?”
“No.” I say. And I realise it’s true – there are some who love and care for me. “You must care for them” she counsels.
Now the other foot.
She asks me if I want to see who walks with me and I say that I do. She stirs the fire and in the smoke I see a green leafy man, a giant, laughing and striding along. “The Spirit of the Woods walks with you, no wonder your feet are sore, a tree walking! You should plant them in he earth more often, to ease them.” She tells me.
She gives me the ointment bottle to take with me, and kisses me in farewell, and I return to the cauldron cavern.

Here the maidens ask me if I would like to stir the cauldron (!) – all the travellers on the Quest path have their part to play, they tell me. So I stir the cauldron once.
Then they ask me if I would have the transformation of the Cauldron for something in my life. I tell them my request. They ell me I must drop a hair into the cauldron, and breathe in the vapour when they direct me. So I drop in a single hair. A hiss, a sizzle, a flash of green and gold across the surface of the liquid, and steam rises. They nod and smile, and so I lean forward and breathe in the rising steam, fresh scented. Once, twice, three times I breathe in, all the time aware of the tingling of the place around me, the strong beat of my heart.

When it’s done they come to bid me farewell. They each my cheeks and smile, and I step out into the main cavern – my eyes towards the daylight. It is damp here, and cold, slippery underfoot as I walk carefully out into the daylight, back to the river-side, and over the rainbow bridge to return here.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lots of smiling and kissing in this meditation, I suppose because I felt very welcomed and cared for there?

Pathwalker

PathWalker

My reading is about a textile project (historical, three dimensional, a big set of ideas). It is forever at the end of a list of things to get done, neglected because it is not of practical value, and it will be very consuming for a while. It is always left, and yet is part of my heart’s desire.

***Interesting reading – the cards were one Grail card, one Spear. Three Stones and three Swords, and one major, the Green Knight, who appeared in my meditation earlier – which was done before the reading.

I also made use of the questions from the little purple booklet which accompanies the newer (2006) version of the deck. I often find these helpful and illuminating.

1. THE ENERGIZER: what needs more energy? SPEAR THREE
At face value an easy card to read. The path ahead, although winding, is very easy to see; all I have to do is grasp the spear and set off. (The Spear is a symbol of wounding and healing, I realise later on in the reading. So, something may be hard, painful, wounding, even as the process may be enlarging and creative).
Card question from booklet – “HOW ARE YOUR PLANS CREATING YOUR PATH?
Well, because I’m allowing other things to intervene, and not planning properly, I am stifling the path.
!DANGER! the path will become overgrown in the end if no-one walks it!

2. THE MEASURER: what are the limitations? THE GREEN KNIGHT
His appearance was seasonal; each thing in it’s own time? It was about giving and receiving; won’t get anything back if I don’t put anything in (…rise to the challenge). It was a necessary cutting off – I must make limits/boundaries?
Card question from booklet – “WHAT FEAR OBSTRUCTS YOUR LIFE? HOW ARE YOU LIMITING YOURSLEF? WHAT CREATIVE POSSIBILITIES ARE RESURGING? “
I limit myself, my fear of failure prevents me from beginning 

3. THE PROTECTOR: how does the matter need protection? SWORD TEN
Oh, so I need to get thinking on this, and also ring-fence myself, my time, to achieve my goals. Are artists selfish because they MUST be?
Card question from booklet – “WHAT IS THE NARROW WAY OUT?”
Do what you must – only that – leaving all the rest of the time for the project. Cross and come out only when you must. Cloister yourself.

4. THE INITIATOR: what will lead you deeper into the matter? STONE SIX
The card of my birth date – fire in the stone circle. Time spent on meditation and consideration of the project – going apart from modern distractions – visions in the flames – ‘living’ in the period you’re studying.
Card question from booklet – “WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SHARE?”
My vision and skill in my project – even if few see it.

5. THE CHALLENGER: what challenges will hone and shape it? SWORD KING
The plans, needs and control of others (specific and general) will pressurize my plan. But others may also give good input? Also what I learn on this Quest? As I become more like the King, I will be better able to make and keep decisions?
Card question from booklet – “WHAT IS YOUR IMPARTIAL ASSESMENT?”
It needs to be the very best that I can do – superb work, not a re-hash of something seen or done before.

6. THE DELIVERER: what need liberating in the matter? STONE HALLOW
I need to become a woman journeying on the path – the ground – the board. This project is about history/archaeology, how others lived and walked before me – I must walk too, not stand still any more.
Card question from booklet – “WHERE IS YOUR HIDDEN TREASURE?”
Within and beneath. Making different moves will reveal new possibilities.

7. THE WEAVER: what creative aspects are still lacking? STONE KNIGHT
He has the board emblem with him still, as his shield, but he is moving on.
Card question from booklet – “WHAT ARE YOU DEPENDING ON?”
That the journey will yield results.

8. THE PRESERVER: what will sustain this? SWORD NINE
Ouch!
Not allowing other things to creep back in? Cutting off some things – limiting them?
Card question from booklet – “WHAT IS THE WORST?”
Oh, I see, my love of this project will sustain this! The worst is that no-one else who sees likes it, but it is not for them, so it’s not important – could still sting though 

9. THE EMPOWERER: what gives it final empowerment? GRAIL FIVE
According to the literature, this can be seen as a card of defeat; no wind for the sail, broken dreams, mistakes. But it is also hopeful, beautiful, flowing on like waves, another shall sail here, all is not lost, but re-adjusted.
Card question from booklet – “WHAT ARE YOU SORRY FOR?”
I am sorry not to have continued my formal textile studies, but the journey is more than a piece of paper, it is inner sailing. Keep sailing. It would be a defeat if I failed to do this work, this project. The vision of that disappointment, that loss, should help empower my project.

I may need to come to this again in a day or two, and add more insight, but that’s it for now.
Pathwalker

Flaxen

Hi PW,

I really liked your meditation. It seemed very powerful and insightful.

Keep walking your path. :)