Portable Magic

astrologerdave

Is anyone currently using the book "Portable Magic" and if so what results do you get with it?

Le Fanu

no replies? I'd also be curious. It's the book by Donald Tyson, this one.

KMilliron

I have Donald Tyson's Necronomicon deck, and I like the concepts behind it. I'm curious, but it's in terms of the Qaballa and Golden Dawn systems, which I'm still very very n00bish about. I've planned on looking into the systems much mroe, but I want to use free (as in online) sources before I decide if I'm interested enough in it.

ncharge

My friends and I worked with that book last week. Three of us, and we had different levels of success. My take is that the system works (with practice) and it is portable. But, it is not fast and it still requires space to lay out (unless you use the world's littlest cards). It was most convenient to do it at my altar, which makes the portable part rather extraneous. I'm going to work with it a few more times before I decide how I feel about it. I may have an epiphany about it and fall in love with the system. Who knows?

KMilliron

I found a copy of it and read through it. I don't use cards for magic so much as meditation, so I like being able to really personalize my layouts and the such. If you're the type of person that's into dead set layouts and cards, maybe as a daily or weekly ritual I say give it a try.

You should give it a try anyway, just to expand your thinking.

Samurai2001

Yes!

I do have the Portable Magic book and I really like it. He describes how to create a sort of astral temple from Tarot cards and then use it for magical workings. It's pretty cool.

Carla

I've just bought the book and have selected my deck (he says to use a small deck that you set aside exclusively for magic. I just happened to have a small deck that I haven't used for divination yet, so all set!) I've read the first two chapters and already looking at tarot in a slightly new way. Exciting! Is anyone else working through the book right now?

frac_ture

I ordered this book a while ago, and it should be arriving any day now. I'm excited to dig into it, as I have no real experience in this area as of yet, but I've been very curious about it -- increasingly so in recent times.

Not sure which deck to use for this. I have a couple of new ones I've barely had opportunity to touch, so there are options...I guess I should probably read what he says first before getting too worked up about that point just yet...but I'm definitely poised and ready to launch into the book as soon as it gets here!

Le Fanu

Me too. Still curious. But lots in my tarot pile by the bed to read before I buy anything new!

Hedera

The book sounds very interesting!
*puts it on wishlist*
And I can see an endless search starting for the Right Deck of Small Size for using with it... ;)

Anyone want to share which deck they're using with the book?