BOTA membership

wandking

yes, I noticed that when I checked out that old link from my favorites menu before posting it. The reason I asked about Chicago is that I seem to remember Case started the original order in that city, after his scism with a GD splinter group administered by Mina Mathers. Thanks for the warning anyhow. I'll certainly look very closly before leaping into that modern version of an order created by one of the greats in Tarot history.

MeeWah

B.O.T.A. does not promote the study of Tarot for divination, but rather as a means towards enlightenment & an adjunct for same via a structured study.

Though I am not currently involved in it, I find its material to be worthy. As with any other study, not suited to every Tarot interest.

mac22

MeeWah said:
B.O.T.A. does not promote the study of Tarot for divination, but rather as a means towards enlightenment & an adjunct for same via a structured study.

Though I am not currently involved in it, I find its material to be worthy. As with any other study, not suited to every Tarot interest.

I agree tastes & style vary. I'm a member for another 11 months we'll see if they improve their course material.

jmd

I personally do not think that the worth of BOTA lies in the content of its course materials - which are, in any case, broadly and generally available nowadays, unlike even a mere 20 years ago.

Rather, if worth is to be found, it lies more in the ongoing and systematic method and training that this (and other) organisations offer.

Personally, and though I was involved in assisting in setting up a BOTA study group in Melbourne in the 1980s, I prefer other paths...

mac22

jmd said:
I personally do not think that the worth of BOTA lies in the content of its course materials - which are, in any case, broadly and generally available nowadays, unlike even a mere 20 years ago.

Rather, if worth is to be found, it lies more in the ongoing and systematic method and training that this (and other) organisations offer.

Personally, and though I was involved in assisting in setting up a BOTA study group in Melbourne in the 1980s, I prefer other paths...

That's what I was looking for training--- I registered, paid my fees, and got exactly what you said stuff that is broadly & generally available EVERYWHERE. I thought as the self proclaimed guardians of the "sacred tarot & holy qabalah" they would give their membership a bit more.

Then there is the constant harping for "donations" from the every present offering envelope. This makes me think they are far more interested in MY money than disseminating any "sacred" knowledge.

MeeWah

Mac22: Perhaps my not having read Tarot books prior to taking the course influences how I view(ed) the material, most of which was new to me. I also knew nothing of the Golden Dawn. At that time, my use of Tarot was "accidental" & primarily for other than divination.

mac22

MeeWah said:
Mac22: Perhaps my not having read Tarot books prior to taking the course influences how I view(ed) the material, most of which was new to me. I also knew nothing of the Golden Dawn. At that time, my use of Tarot was "accidental" & primarily for other than divination.

That may well be the difference. I found the books by Paul Case [founder of BOTA] and his senior student Jason Lotterhand to be of very high quality and immensely useful. I was expecting the course to be of similar quality.

Bonnie

BOTA Membership

"Thursday Night Tarot", a compilation of Lotterhand's lectures on the Trumps, is one of my all time favorite Tarot books. :)

mac22

Bonnie said:
"Thursday Night Tarot", a compilation of Lotterhand's lectures on the Trumps, is one of my all time favorite Tarot books. :)

Which shows that at one time BOTA had in-depth knowledge & was not afraid to give it to the public at large for free...:D