90s Original Waite card stock

Aeric

I'm not happy with the super thick glossy card stock of the newer Original RW in the purple Roses + Lilies box set.

How is the card stock compared to the 1993 version with the Temperance card on the blue box? I really liked the stock of the 1992 tan box Universal Waite and wonder if they are similar.

roppo

I don't have a 93 Original RW, but I believe the card stock of the Geman RW Faksimile Tarot of 1993 (USG copyright) is virtually same. So I compared them and found they are really different. The 78 cards thickness of 93RW is 24mm while that of 99RW is 25.2mm. 93RW reproduced the coloring and detail of the original Pam-C rather faithfully, but I cannnot say the same thing for the 99RW. I made a jpeg for comparison purpose. You can see the dot pattern dissapearing in 99RW.

Personally I don't like the 99RW's chemical smelling and glossy coating. If 93 Temperance box ORW has the same printing and card stock as the German 93RW, then I'll be entirely pro for 93s.

for general appearance
http://grimoire.blog.ocn.ne.jp/doll/files/threewheels.jpg

for dot pattern
http://grimoire.blog.ocn.ne.jp/doll/files/threelions.jpg

Le Fanu

Great scans there...

I have to add that the 1st edition of 1993 has gorgeous card stock and good clarity, though I don't have an original Pam C for comparison. I have three copies of the Original and the quality is consistent across all three. Try and get an older copy if you can.

Aeric

Thanks! I did manage to find an older copy and bought it. I really miss the rubbery flexibility of my old Waite cards. These new thick ones just feel like they'll crease if I bend too hard, and they're a bitch to shuffle. Oh well, no more of that!

Abrac

The older ones printed in Belgium are very nice. I've read there's a newer version printed in China that's supposed to be pretty nice. Thicker stock and good finish.

Aeric

I'm kicking this back up because I wanted to ask about the Albano Waite deck similarly.

How many editions has Albano had? Does the latest one, the edition that's most widely available, have the same thick plastic stock as the 2012 Original RW?

Richard

I'm kicking this back up because I wanted to ask about the Albano Waite deck similarly.

How many editions has Albano had? Does the latest one, the edition that's most widely available, have the same thick plastic stock as the 2012 Original RW?
I bought the standard edition of the Albano from amazon.com in 2011, and it had extremely sloppy printing, exaggerated color (unlike the 1968 deck), and thick, shiny, smelly plastic lamination.

I later got a used 1987 Albano, printed in Belgium, which is far better.

Aeric

Thanks very much. It seems that almost any deck coming out of US Games in the 2010s is made of that awful stinky plastic, at least Waite decks.

Richard

Thanks very much. It seems that almost any deck coming out of US Games in the 2010s is made of that awful stinky plastic, at least Waite decks.
That's generally true. However, the deck that came with the PCS Commemorative set is not too bad, but the card stock is very thick and somewhat stiff.

Lee

I recently bought a new Universal Waite and it's the stinky plastic. The stinkiness disappeared in a few days. I like the brighter colors when compared to the original Universal Waite, but I can't say I care for the feel of the cardstock. There's just something not as nice about it.