Essential Lenormand by Rana George Study Group - Subject+Modifier

Padma

Thanks, Lee! :love:

I am noticing that the other posters have all indicated a delay with the Mountain one, whereas I saw it as the Mountain lightening up and dissolving - I thought that the first card was always affected by the second one, do I have this wrong? (i.e. I would have thought that Rider followed by Mountain would have been the block/delay in news!)

I've been reading them that way for three years - I sure hope I have not been doing it wrong all along! :bugeyed:

[Moderator note: These posts were moved from another Study Group thread as I felt they deserved their own thread.]

Teheuti

I am noticing that the other posters have all indicated a delay with the Mountain one, whereas I saw it as the Mountain lightening up and dissolving - I thought that the first card was always affected by the second one, do I have this wrong? (i.e. I would have thought that Rider followed by Mountain would have been the block/delay in news!)
First, I don't see what card meaning lightening or dissolving. Which card were you referring to that has this effect?

Mountain-Rider-Letter

I usually read the first card as the subject/noun and the following cards as modifying it. Therefore the subject would be blocks, obstacles and delays. The other cards tell us what kind:

Mountain-Rider - news or delivery delays; travel blocks, obstacles, difficulties. Rider could be a person (especially a visitor), therefore it could be saying "a visitor's delays." If this combo is close to the Significator then Rider could be a dangerous enemy. If far away, then a powerful friend (more properly: Rider-Mountain).

Rider-Letter - newspaper, mail carrier, journalist, news arrival (paper delivery), etc.

Mountain-Letter - Paper delay or problems. Letter can refer to any kind of paper document: tickets, correspondence, business documents, magazine articles, student papers.

So: news/papers arrive from a dangerous enemy or powerful friend (either way, with Mountain as the subject, expect some delays, problems or obstructions). A journalist reporting on a disaster.

surpeti

Thanks, Lee! :love:

I've been reading them that way for three years - I sure hope I have not been doing it wrong all along! :bugeyed:

Lotus Padma, it sounds to me like you are reading in a kind of chronological way--first there was an obstacle (Mountain) and after that there was movement (Rider). Is that what you mean by "dissolving" the Mountain? Like Teheuti and others, I read Mountain as the main subject and the other cards as modifying, so your approach is a bit different. Since we are trying to explore the methods in this particular book, we could discuss "what would Rana do?" But as far as right or wrong--has your way of reading been effective/accurate for you? That's the main point after all :)

Lee

First, I don't see what card meaning lightening or dissolving. Which card were you referring to that has this effect?

Mountain-Rider-Letter

The way I read Lotus Padma's interpretation was: after a period of time during which news was delayed/blocked (Mountain), news (Letter) finally arrives (Rider). So I can see what she means, that the blocked-news situation of the Mountain is lightened or dissolved by the arrival of news.

Teheuti

The way I read Lotus Padma's interpretation was: after a period of time during which news was delayed/blocked (Mountain), news (Letter) finally arrives (Rider). So I can see what she means, that the blocked-news situation of the Mountain is lightened or dissolved by the arrival of news.
That's very helpful, Lee. But in this version isn't News the subject/noun with Mountain and Rider modifying it? Therefore we'd have Adjective—Noun—Verb: delayed(adj) news(subject) arrives(verb).

I thought Lotus Padma said she reads the subject first, so shouldn't we have Letter-Mountain-Rider to get her and Lee's reading? —
Letter-Mountain: Letter-as-News is the subject. It is modified by Mountain - "blocked news".
Letter and Rider both can indicate news, so perhaps the letter/news has to traverse a difficult terrain (physical or mental Mountain) before it can travel freely—Rider (emerging on the other side of the Mountain)?
I still wouldn't see this set of cards by themselves as lightening or dissolving the highly problematic Mountain (unless Mountain is "far"). Something else would need to be there to demonstrate this.

Rana gives a Positive-Negative-Neutral orientation to each card:

Mountain: "Negative: this card will influence the cards around it with a negative tone."
Letter: "Neutral: this card gets influenced by the cards it comes in contact with."
Rider: "Neutral: this card usually leans toward the positive by itself, but it is highly influenced by the cards next to it."
With the subject being a problem, it seems to lend its weight rather strongly to the neutral cards that follow. It would take a positive card following Rider to indicate a more clearly positive outcome.

monisina

Exercise A: My comments are actually less about Rider than the other cards in the spreads.

Stork-Rider-Dog

Although I can certainly see Rana's interpretation as valid, I doubt I would have interpreted this as she did simply because I don't have a lot of friends who are likely to be pregnant. To me it shows how context matters. If I pulled these as a daily for myself I'd know what "changes" (Stork) are more likely to be news in my life.

Rider-Garden-House

I like the straightforwardness of "news of a gathering in the home." I wouldn't have thought "in-laws" though because they are family and there's no family indication in the cards. I guess it depends on how you view your in-laws and how you define your social circle.

Exercise B:

Stork-Rider-Dog

News of a friend's move.

Rider-Garden-House

A new acquaintance in my social circle visits me at home.

Exercise C:

Mountain-Rider-Letter

A letter containing news is delayed in arriving.

Hello,
I read that the card Mountain can have a opposite meaning regarding its possition
Mountain + X = delayed/blocked X finally ends
X + Mountain = X is delayed/blocked
Thus Mountain+Rider+Letter - delayed message finally comes

Stork + Rider + Dog = a friendly visit from someone will change something in my life or improved something in my life or in our relationship.
Rider + Dog = a friendly/helpful visit
Rider + Dog can be also someone I have already known, it is a opposite to card Book (person I have not already known).

Rider+Garden+House = many people/group will arrive to visit you or somewhere will be a big party

Lee

I have much to say on this topic but work obligations beckon, so I'll be posting here tonight or tomorrow.

Padma

Lotus Padma, it sounds to me like you are reading in a kind of chronological way--first there was an obstacle (Mountain) and after that there was movement (Rider). Is that what you mean by "dissolving" the Mountain? Like Teheuti and others, I read Mountain as the main subject and the other cards as modifying, so your approach is a bit different. Since we are trying to explore the methods in this particular book, we could discuss "what would Rana do?" But as far as right or wrong--has your way of reading been effective/accurate for you? That's the main point after all :)

Wow! Everyone's comments have been so enlightening, thanks! :) And Surpeti, yes, they did seem to be accurate? Thanks for that!

Lee, I hope I did not disrupt things here...thank you for beginning another thread.

I think I need to re-read Rana's position on this....obviously, I did not understand the first time around! Surpeti is correct in stating we are are exploring Rana's way. So I will do that before commenting again. I do find the subject a bit confusing!

Teheuti

I think I need to re-read Rana's position on this....obviously, I did not understand the first time around! Surpeti is correct in stating we are are exploring Rana's way. So I will do that before commenting again. I do find the subject a bit confusing!
I reread what Rana has to say about Mountain and she does seem to indicate that what follows Mountain can be seen as having moved on beyond or overcoming the difficulty. She sees the greatest difficulty lying with what comes before Mountain.

So I looked at a couple of other examples she gives that include Mountain:

p. 330: Mountain+Garden+Sun - "there will be a weight of some social hindrance or interference [Mountain+Garden], but she will overcome it." (Definitely, as Sun is a strongly positive card in the future).

p. 336: Mountain+Fox+Snake - "the job is stable at the moment but there is some trouble with some employees." ("Stable" as mentioned here refers to Fox-as-work in the center of a Square of 9 which has additional good cards surrounding it; while Fox between Mountain and Snake, with Fox as the subject of her inquiry, becomes troublesome - three negatives!)

p. 272: Mountain+Anchor - stuck; not going anywhere.

p. 178: Mice+Sun+Mountain+Key - "I didn't like seeing the Sun sandwiched between the Mice and the Mountain, which predicts a short-lived success that wasn't easy to attain because of the Mice and some delays (Mountain), but having the Key [last] was a sure success."
(There were problems and delays but after these passed the postponed event was eventually a success.)

The key to all this is the context. When asking a question and a card turns up that is clearly indicative of the subject of the question, then that trumps all other subject-modifier concerns.

Lee

Lee, I hope I did not disrupt things here...thank you for beginning another thread.

Lotus Padma, please don't worry, you asked an excellent question and raised an important issue, and I'm glad you did, and please don't hesitate to do so again! :)

My difficulty here is that, much as I like Rana's book, I find it a bit vague on this issue.

Other authors have noted that besides Subject-Modifier, there are other ways to combine, such as sequential (this happens, then this happens, then this happens, etc.).

On page 264 of the book, Rana says: "A tip on Combining: while it isn't a hard and fast rule, start by looking at the first card as the subject o[f] the matter and the card following it as a description modifying that subject. In other words, try treating the first card as a noun and the second card as the adjective." She then goes on to describe a different kind of combining that will happen with more practice, where the two cards are seen as "whole" combinations. She also says, "practice and experience are key factors, as cards sometimes combine in the oddest ways."

Above that paragraph, she describes how one pair (A + B) may not have a similar meaning to the flipped pair (B + A). As an example she gives Sun and Coffin.

Sun + Coffin = "success ending, a downturn of luck"
Coffin + Sun = "success after an ending, a resurrection"

Now, the first example (Sun + Coffin) clearly follows the Subject+Modifier paradigm. If Sun is "success" and Coffin is "end," then clearly Sun+Coffin is "ending success" or "success ending."

But for Coffin+Sun, it seems to me a Subject+Modifier kind of combination would result in "a successful ending." But Rana gives "success after ending," which to me is clearly a sequential interpretation (Coffin happens, then Sun happens).

I think what may be happening is that, as Teheuti suggests with the Mountain, there are certain cards (i.e. Coffin and Mountain) which tend to bring everything to a full stop. So cards to the left of that card are brought to a standstill or ending; cards to the right represent a new beginning. But this isn't made clear in the book (or at least not that I can find right now -- if anyone knows of another spot in the book that addresses this, please let us know!), and it's hard to know how to put together these different considerations and know what to do with them in any one situation.

Looking at the Coffin chapter in the book seems to bear this out: for Coffin + Clover she gives "a recovery, another chance" (sequential) rather than "a lucky ending" (Subject+Modifier).

For these reasons, I'm reluctant to establish a strict Subject+Modifier rule for our Study Group. A, I'm not getting from the book that it's that strict of a rule; B, I don't want to be in the position of judging whether every member's post meets these criteria.
Teheuti said:
But in this version isn't News the subject/noun with Mountain and Rider modifying it? Therefore we'd have Adjective—Noun—Verb: delayed(adj) news(subject) arrives(verb).
Mary, I know you have a post after this, but I did want to make a specific point here -- it seems to me that the whole grammar analogy is imperfect, because while it's true that "delayed (Mountain) news (Letter) arrives (Rider)" would be adjective-subject-verb, it's also possible to say "news-related delay (Mountain-Letter) arrives (Rider)," which would bring us back to subject-adjective-verb while retaining the same meaning. It's things like this that make me question the whole Subject+Modifier concept.
The key to all this is the context. When asking a question and a card turns up that is clearly indicative of the subject of the question, then that trumps all other subject-modifier concerns.
This seems supremely sensible to me and a good concept to use going forward -- try to stick to Subject+Modifier as a general guideline, but pay attention to the context and to obvious subject cards.

From my perspective as moderator and study group leader, I don't want members to feel overwhelmed or as if every interpretation they make is going to be picked apart. At least now and for the foreseeable future, I'd really prefer that we stick to encouraging participants to put together meanings for card combinations from Rana's lists keywords and phrases, thus giving all of us a chance to get accustomed to those meanings in action without having to sit down and memorize them.

Once we're perhaps halfway through the cards, we can revisit the issue of rules/guidelines for combining, and I think at that point we'll be more comfortable with the meanings side of the equation and will be better equipped to start wrestling with guidelines for combining. For now I'd be happy just to have everyone have fun getting their feet wet.