Essential Lenormand by Rana George Study Group - Guidelines for Combining Cards

Lee

Very experienced Lenormand readers probably don't consciously follow specific procedures for combining cards in a line, but beginners may find it helpful to have clear procedures to follow, which after much practice will become internalized so that they don't need to think about it as much.

In Rana's book, she explains only the "Subject+Modifier" method (outlined below), but by studying her examples it becomes clear that there are several other processes used. I've used input from members posted in the Study Group - Subject+Modifier thread, and I've also used Caitlín Matthews's book "The Complete Lenormand Oracle" to clarify some of the procedures.

I've attempted in this post to present a list of possible strategies for combining cards in a line. I've tried to strike a balance between being too simple and being too complex.

The study group overall will still adhere to the rules that participants can combine cards any way they like, and that participants aren't allowed to criticize others' interpretations. But the information below is offered as a set of suggestions for those members who would like some guidance toward a more structured approach to reading a line of cards.

I'm locking this thread so as to let these suggestions stand as a relatively uncluttered procedure, but input is welcomed -- if anyone has any suggestions for improvements, please post them in the Study Group - Subject+Modifier thread.

1) Subject+Modifier

For two-card readings, the "Subject+Modifier" method is suggested. For A + B, card A would be the subject card, either a noun or a verb. Card B would be an adjective, adverb, or modifier.

For example:

Noun + adjective: Rider + Mountain (blocked news)
Verb + adverb: Mice + Book (to secretly diminish)

When reading three cards, any of the three cards can be chosen as a subject, and the other two cards serve as modifiers.

For example:

Bouquet + Letter + Lily: A pleasant (Bouquet) and virtuous (Lily) letter (Letter).

2) Sequential

For three-or-more-card readings, you might use the Sequential method (this happened, then this happened, then this happened, etc.)

For example:

Bouquet + Letter + Lily: I received a present, then I wrote a thank-you note, and then something long-term resulted.

3) Forward Narration

You might use the Forward Narration method, in which you read the cards from left to right, using small words such as
"and," "to," "about," "but," "with," "for," etc. to connect the cards together into a sentence.

For example:

Bouquet + Letter + Lily: I was surprised (Bouquet) with a pleasant letter (Letter) about virtue (Lily).

4) Effects of Individual Cards

Certain cards have their own rules regarding how they affect adjacent cards. Examples: Coffin can bring an end to cards on its left, while cards on its right show a new beginning; Scythe and Clouds can affect adjacent cards according to which way the point is facing for Scythe, or dark clouds for Clouds. Mountain can indicate that the cards that come before it (on its left) are blocked, while the cards that come after (on the right) suggest a way forward.

5) Mixing and Overlapping Methods

Finally, in lines of three or more cards, several combining methods can be combined. For example, in a line of five, you might read the first three cards using the Sequential method, then read the final two as a Subject+Modifier pair.

Also, methods can overlap; for example, the Coffin might modify the card to its left as being enclosed (Subject+Modifier), and at the same time the Coffin may be acting to bring the cards to its left to a swift end.

In a trio of cards, you can read them as overlapping Subject+Modifier pairs. For example:

A + B + C

Read A+B, B+C, and A+C.