Lenormand significator WORK

conurelover

What about the Tower card for work, i.e. working at something like a government institution?

DownUnderNZer

If the MOON was in the GT and above or near the House of the Man/Woman or those cards, for me, it could be an emotion such as feelings or liking someone, but still not a job.

Above Mountain I would think not famous or a high achiever, emotional blocks and/or Psychic abilities at a standstill. In fact, unlikely the person is Astral Projecting or developing in the area of intuition/psychic abilities etc.

Why are there so many work cards compared to any other key theme in such a small deck? One for House/ One for children or teens/ 0ne for Health. Decisions could be two/ Vehicles maybe two. But job 4 or 5 different cards. That's new for me. I don't think I need more than one to deal with that area or topic.

The history behind the MOON is interesting though that is for sure.

In a short spread I'd pay attention if any one of the work cards turns up as the card turning up would give nuance to the answer. In a Grand Tableau I'd check out all the work cards, especially to see there is a progression in relation to their work - unless I pre-selected a specific topic card for the work question.

If I say, "Do you like Dr. Xyz for your dental work?" then that's Moon. He doesn't have to be Leonardo Di Caprio to be known for his profession.

Teheuti

What about the Tower card for work, i.e. working at something like a government institution?
The Tower is one of the cards whose meaning has changed the most, perhaps because it's traditional meaning is so vague:

1846: announces a long and happy old age, but surrounded by clouds, it announces a disease, even depending on the circumstances also death.
Streerath: Happy old age, also grief.
Belgian(1865): gives hope to become very old, but surrounded by clouds it will predict sickness and even death, depending on the circumstances.
Brepols (1910): "The tower is a sign of happiness for you growing, as long as no storm in the clouds is showing."

i.e., good health in old age when near; illness and even death when far.

It now generally represents big buildings, institutions, corporations, government and prisons. Some see it as gaining a distance perspective, and related to that as aloof, separating, and isolating. People have picked up ego-related stuff from the Tarot Tower. It's not a work card, per se, but rather goes well with work cards or issues.

I believe some people see it as relating to be an entrepreneur or in business for oneself, while others, like Rana George, reserve that function to Fish.

Teheuti

Why are there so many work cards compared to any other key theme in such a small deck? One for House/ One for children or teens/ 0ne for Health. Decisions could be two/ Vehicles maybe two. But job 4 or 5 different cards. That's new for me. I don't think I need more than one to deal with that area or topic.
Originally there was no card for "work". Lenormand cards showed trends involving success, prosperity and troubles. I imagine that part of the reason is that divination was more of a parlour game done by women for whom detailed work issues were not a major concern. Also, each different 19th century cartomancy deck had its own focus. One deck that features a lot of professional men may have been used as an indicator of what kind of professional man a woman would marry.

I don't see why we would need a bunch of cards for different vehicles. Today we use Rider and Ship (or little and big journeys or journeyers), derived from errands and short journeys by horse versus a long or international journey by ship. When combined with Stork we have an indicator for a journey by air.

The Jacks can be seen as children or teens, although this use is more rare.

Health is Tree but can also be Tower (see other post), also, to a lesser extent, Cross and Coffin. Some European commentators have ascribed health meanings to each of the cards (see Rana George).

Basically Moon is the only card with an older meaning of career, while Ship could indicate commerce. Anchor and Fox are add-ons and many people just use one card for work (with Ship just for journeys and foreigners). Most find that money and work are often involved together, as is the authoritative (big, commanding) nature of Bear and Tower. Originally there was no card for money either. Probably House (prosperity) and Clover were originally the major indicators of wealth and unexpected income, respectively.