New to astrology

agent199

Picked up an astrology application for my iPhone called Astrolgo.

I want to know if I am on the right track with regards to interpreting my own horoscope.

I say to myself that I am most affected by our closest neighbouring astral body, The moon!

So I go to my new astrology app and it shows me that the moon's temporal position is:
'Moon in taurus in house six'.

Then I decide to use semantic level 'inner worlds' as the context of meaning for the interpretation.

Therefore, my moon horoscope would read as 'what is acting' (moon), 'how it is acting' (taurus), and 'where it is acting' (house six) in the context of 'inner worlds'.

Then I cross reference the above information to key words of zodiak interpretation:

The newly created moon Horoscope -> "Your instinctual feelings will cause you to become value driven and thus showcase your usefulness."

How did I do?

Keep in mind that I am a completely new to this.

Minderwiz

It's a fair start :) :)

The app seems to calculate a full chart with aspects, so it gives you a reasonable basis for learning. I'm a little wary of the interpretative part of any app or program because these are based on broad statements and come up the same, no matter what the chart context is - that is you'll always get that same statement for someone who has a Taurus Moon in the sixth, no matter what aspects it has. In practice the Moon and the house have several significations so you have a variety of possible meanings, which in natal Astrology can all manifest though not necessarily at the same time.

If you want to get the best out of your app, then you'll need one or two introductory books - see out resources thread. But remember, once you get into it you might not be able to stop :)

dadsnook2000

The elephant's tail

I am glad you found an interest in astrology. If you are truly interested in this topic, the coming years of involvement in astrology will prove to be highly rewarding. This first experience of yours shows that you have persistence and and a degree of curiosity that will serve you well.

But first, let me relate the story of the blind man who was taken to a circus where he encountered an elephant. Touching the animal, his impression was that this animal was a bit big and rough skinned. Then, he touched and felt the trunk of the elephant, saying "This is a huge animal! It's tail is so big the animal must be twenty feet tall and 50 feet long."

You have just touched "astrology" and have no idea of its size and scope. Just considering the Moon by sign and house is possibly useful --- and it is a great start. Your next step should be to look at the Sun. These two bodies work together and are the two bodies that have an obvious direct physical impact on us to an extent that other astrological bodies do not have. All told, all components in an astrological chart have to be understood and combined --- this may be some 1800 or more factors.

That should not be seen as overwhelming but merely as an indication of the scope of what can be seen in one's natal chart. You can find useful and satisfying information from just a few combinational factors. This astrological forum has information in the heading sections that suggest books and other learning tools. Start, as you have, with simple steps and follow wherever they lead you. Any good beginner's book will take you through a series of steps that will lead you to greater understanding. You have no idea what a fun and interesting journey lies in front of you. Dave

agent199

Thank you for the responses.

Now I just need to find some of these cool Astrology books in hardcover.