Anyone good at interpreting dreams? [warning: long post]

MandMaud

[I tried to condense this, and it didn't work.]

I "never dream". At least, I used to have long, vivid, complicated story-dreams in colour, with complete and lasting memory of the details. I stopped dreaming in my second pregnancy and it has never come back. (I haven't dared ask the cards about this because I don't want to come away with ambiguity.) Lately I've been working on bringing it back, by simply believing/expecting to be someone who dreams, because I miss those fantastic dreams.

Last night I remembered one properly, I can still almost smell it. The story wasn't as elaborate as I used to get in the old days, but it feels significant. I wouldn't assume every dream Means Something, but some feel as if they do.

I was sleeping in a large bedroom in a house which was going to be mine. The sale was already agreed, it may have been mine already. It was a lovely old house of exactly the age and size and kind that I like, slightly shabby, fine to live in but with scope to do it up when I feel like it. I saw none of it except this one bedroom. The room was full of clutter, as if it had been used for storage while still being lived in, and this was all the previous owner's things. I knew, with confidence, that it was all going to be taken out of the way before I moved in. The stuff was also of the kind I like, hand-knitted blankets, shabby chests of drawers, pictures in frames, old-fashioned trunks, etc. I had a sense of the previous owner as female.

(My own house is full of stuff, which I'm clearing gradually. The going is slow because I have health problems. In the dream I liked the clutter but I don't feel positive about the real-life clutter. It's not all my own things - some is left over from my ex, some is left over from my previous self - my taste has changed! - some is inherited from my mother but not yet put away, some is from my grandmother via my mother's death.)

Now it gets complicated. After I woke, I realised I'd had two dreams superimposed! In one, the room had twin beds and I was sharing with my mother. We were chatting before going to sleep, just as we used to on a weekend away. Then, by myself (I think this was all the same "episode") - I think it was as I woke in the lovely bed in the lovely room in the morning - I discovered there was a very large window at the foot of my bed. I thought how odd to position the bed that way in the room. The window was wide, and taller than the bed's length.

I'm sure it was morning now, and I could see a path between trees, maybe a lane between hedges or in a sparse wood, and occasionally people were walking in ones and twos; now I come to think of it, they were all coming my way, none heading away. The weather was nice, sun between the branches. I didn't like the thought they could see me in bed, but then saw that the lower half of the window was frosted, not thoroughly like a modern bathroom, more "wobbly" like a London pub. Anyway none of them was looking my way. As I say, I was alone now, but I think my mother was still there, probably still asleep.

In the other "episode", I was either sleeping alone or with my youngest son in the other twin bed. (By the way I never got a view of the other bed.) I got out of bed because the only place to put my things (reading book, glasses etc) during the night, with all the stuff in makeshift piles, was on the windowsill and that couldn't be reached from in bed. This wasn't the same big window. This one was at the side of the room just too far to reach from the bed, just past the headboard (the bed was the other way round, too), a nice wide windowsill in keeping with the nice old house. This window looked out onto the same trees and shrubs and undergrowth, because the lane came up to and past the house I was in.

But as I walked round the bed (I think this was in the middle of the night, it wasn't light anyway), I almost stepped on my ex-husband who was sleeping on the floor. I hadn't seen him from the bed because of the headboard. It was the only bit of floor with enough room to lie down; kind of made sense. I was annoyed because he was in the way, and because he'd presumed to come into the room and sleep without letting me know or asking. Now, in one version my son stayed asleep, and in another we were united in being annoyed with his dad. Either way, having noticed him in time to avoid treading on him, I stepped carefully and reached the windowsill.

They weren't really episodes, as they weren't one after another, they co-existed.

Sorry this has got so long. Hard to weed out the unnecessary detail, it's all so clear in my head. In fact I have weeded out quite a lot!! :D

Summary:
- bedroom in a house that was soon to be mine;
- clutter that wasn't mine and would be removed when I moved in;
- large window looking out onto that path with people walking, potentially exposing me but in fact not because no one seemed to notice it from outside;
- in that version, I was sharing with my mum...
- in the other version, I was sharing with my son...
- spacious windowsill;
- inconvenient ex-husband.
- Every single detail was something that made me feel happy, except my ex. lol

Background facts:
- My real house is full of clutter, but not nice clutter.
- Last weekend I was away, and because of changes of plans, I had a (boring modern) twin room to myself.
- In real life I have a pain condition, but in the dream I was back to my old self (which is so many years ago, I'd forgotten how to forget about it).
- My mother died in 2011.
- I'm in the process of selling my mother's house. But where I live, we've been 12 years and no plans to move.
- My ex moved out a year ago and the household now = my youngest and me.
- We are in fact united in being annoyed with his dad!

The amount I liked the room blinds me to what it may mean. If a house is myself, I like to think my mind isn't too cluttered... ;)

If anyone knows what they're doing with dreams, I'd love some ideas. Beyond the obvious, that my ex is a nuisance and my real house is full of stuff and so on. I'm usually quite good at interpreting for myself (and other people) but I'm stumped here. And I don't know how to begin asking the cards for a dream reading.

Thank you!
mm

MandMaud

PS

Just realised it's well past midnight and so I'm off to bed - for real ;) - but will scoop up any responses tomorrow, so thanks in advance and don't think I've swanned off and am ignoring you. :)

MandMaud

bump bump...

Yuri

Fascinating dreams (and an even longer post)

Hi MandMaud, I'm new here, but I'd like to try to interpret your dreams a little, if I may. I really enjoyed reading your detailed description of the dreams, so this is what struck me. For me, the new house combines your viewpoint on and your wishes for your life (not your mind). You like the clutter the way it is there (wishes), but oops, there's that ex-husband at the foot of the "marriage bed". (You see him in spite of the big headboard. Maybe the big headboard is supposed to separate the present from the past.) On the other hand, he's on the floor, not standing over you or in the bed. Since he's your ex and you're annoyed at him, the fact that he's on the floor is either a sign of the change in your relationship or a sign of feeling a little guilty about not having him with you (where a husband normally is). In addition, although there is clutter that you're happy with in the new house, you've discovered that you've still kept other clutter that displeases you but don't yet know how to find a place for. (You haven't placed him in the bed, but there he is on the floor and you haven't figured out yet where to "place" him.) So he's still "in the way", both through your past history and through your son. For me, your mom points to your connection with the past, which we always carry around with us, but also as a reminder that you, too, are a mother, and the connection with your ex-husband is made stronger because you have a child from him. In one dream your son ignores him and continues to sleep; in the other your son joins you in being annoyed against your ex. Neither attitude seems to help because the husband is "there", still connected to your new life. The main thing, however, is that although you feel "exposed" by the window, which might make your life visible to others (maybe because that tie with your husband will always exist), the window is half-frosted, your life does not completely include your husband any more, so you'll be able to maintain some degree of privacy, although it will be "wobbly" at first:) In addition, you'll be able to have some control over your life because in your dream(s) you manage to reach the window (by exercising care or tiptoing around him). It's a great "double-dream", MandMaud. It shows that you'll be able to have more control over how you want things to go, even if there may not be as much freedom as before your marriage. Why not do a reading with the question you may wish to explore further (ex. clarification on the presence of your ex in your bedroom, or his presence on the floor, or the meaning of the window in your dreams?" etc.) If you know which aspects you don't like in these two dreams, you might try to "redream" them the way you would like them to be. If you're artistically inclined, you might try painting your ideal version of what you would like thsi type of dream to play out and then meditate on it:) At any rate, I think that having such vivid dreams is a wonderful thing because you have something you can work with if you like, and you can approach them in the say way as myths give us keys to how we see the world. (I hope I didn't overstep the mark in anything I wrote.) Cheers!

MandMaud

Thank you so much, Yuri.

Hi MandMaud, I'm new here, but I'd like to try to interpret your dreams a little, if I may. I really enjoyed reading your detailed description of the dreams,
WELCOME! {waving} And what a relief that you like the detail.

so this is what struck me. For me, the new house combines your viewpoint on and your wishes for your life (not your mind). You like the clutter the way it is there (wishes), but oops, there's that ex-husband at the foot of the "marriage bed". (You see him in spite of the big headboard.
In fact I didn't see him until I walked around to that end of the bed, but on the other hand, the headboard wasn't there either while I was still in the bed. Maybe the headboard is a big solid wall keeping him out of my bed. And yes, his present role (co-parent that I have to work with to some extent) well away from his past role (partner (supposedly!;))).

I have thought that the previous owner, female, was also me.

Maybe the big headboard is supposed to separate the present from the past.) On the other hand, he's on the floor, not standing over you or in the bed. Since he's your ex and you're annoyed at him, the fact that he's on the floor is either a sign of the change in your relationship or a sign of feeling a little guilty about not having him with you (where a husband normally is). In addition, although there is clutter that you're happy with in the new house, you've discovered that you've still kept other clutter that displeases you but don't yet know how to find a place for. (You haven't placed him in the bed, but there he is on the floor and you haven't figured out yet where to "place" him.)

So true! I think all separated parents have this in common, being single but yet having the children in common. A "joint project" with someone you've found you can't work with!

Just had a thought: he was/is where I *could* walk over him, but I chose/choose not to. In real life my son is furious with his dad, and says so often, and it is *so* tempting to join in slagging him off - I am good about that though. :D

Thoughts keep coming - this wouldn't have (hadn't) happened without your input :) - the window(s) = the wider world, which I'm not yet part of, still sorting out the house before life can expand to include society in any significant way. (My health failed some years ago and my ex's neglect led to the isolation which is the worst part of disability for single people, but shouldn't happen to those with carers.) I loved the scene outside, and definitely wasn't part of it nor was there a door to it. Yet.

Maybe the clutter that I liked in the dream is the stuff which I'm pretty sure is in this house, from before illness, which I look forward to reclaiming by sorting and ditching the clutter that I dislike which is in the way. Maybe also the clutter, both liked and disliked, is "stuff to do" in my life: friendships, activities, joining groups etc. Replacing projects I have to get through first, with projects I yearn for.

:)

I don't feel guilty or negative about not having my ex with me, if anything the only regret is not booting him out a very long time ago (before he had so many years mis-parenting our sons).

I'm answering in the wrong order, but back to your thing about placing things/people - YES. That is a big part of the transition currently happening.

Aha! Identity has always been an important theme for me (eg name-change, employee or mother role, things like that) ... Now it's the identity of other people that seems foremost. I'm almost comfortable about who *I* am. Others are changing. (Not least the 14yo who is very rapidly changing.)

So he's still "in the way", both through your past history and through your son.
Yep! lol

For me, your mom points to your connection with the past, which we always carry around with us, but also as a reminder that you, too, are a mother, and the connection with your ex-husband is made stronger because you have a child from him. In one dream your son ignores him and continues to sleep; in the other your son joins you in being annoyed against your ex. Neither attitude seems to help because the husband is "there", still connected to your new life.

The main thing, however, is that although you feel "exposed" by the window, which might make your life visible to others (maybe because that tie with your husband will always exist), the window is half-frosted, your life does not completely include your husband any more, so you'll be able to maintain some degree of privacy, although it will be "wobbly" at first:) In addition, you'll be able to have some control over your life because in your dream(s) you manage to reach the window (by exercising care or tiptoing around him).

... and you've made me think again about the frosting. All it hid was the lower part of the scene - in other words, I could see the path complete, except where to put my feet... to get between where I was and where I would/will be when on that path. Hm.

About having control, that's a nice thought, rings true too.

It's a great "double-dream", MandMaud. It shows that you'll be able to have more control over how you want things to go, even if there may not be as much freedom as before your marriage.
I can't remember before! Well, the block was self-confidence back then. Got shot of that one. :D This is another nice thought that rings true, that the dream was about freedom and presonal power, and them growing. It was obviously about the current stage of life but that's as far as I got on my own.

Why not do a reading with the question you may wish to explore further (ex. clarification on the presence of your ex in your bedroom, or his presence on the floor, or the meaning of the window in your dreams?" etc.) If you know which aspects you don't like in these two dreams, you might try to "redream" them the way you would like them to be. If you're artistically inclined, you might try painting your ideal version of what you would like thsi type of dream to play out and then meditate on it:)
Lately I've lost confidence in being able to interpret without ambiguity - or maybe my standards have risen since the arrogant days of raw beginnerhood ;) - but certainly, if I can get a question good and clear, I will read on it. I hadn't thought of re-dreaming though I've heard of that. In fact my older son's good at it, and I taught him in the first place. But it's so rare that I dream at all, now, I've kind of forgotten it's an option. Hm, again.

At any rate, I think that having such vivid dreams is a wonderful thing because you have something you can work with if you like, and you can approach them in the say way as myths give us keys to how we see the world.
I love the vivid dreams! Can still remember some, complete, from my childhood. (I may even put one here for ideas, that I had when I was three and have puzzled over ever since.) As I say I miss them. The working-on is *beginning* to make them happen again which is great, and I have a feeling being single helps too; less getting in the way... lol

(I hope I didn't overstep the mark in anything I wrote.) Cheers!
You didn't at all. (I have no privacy-related shame online. :D It's all scientific enquiry.) Thank you again. And you've given me something to sleep on. As it were.

Yuri

Your dream(s)

You're very welcome! Interesting, what you've just written about your feet on the path:) Cheers!