How often do you Celtic Cross?

tigerlilybug

I have read a couple standard tarot books all of which I'm referring to only showed the Celtic Cross as a practice spread but would further explain that you should only do a Celtic Cross if it's a special occasion. So this is saying to me on one hand practice,practice,practice get to know the positions by using the cross and the other seems to say don't really use it unless you have a birthday or it's the new year etc.

So my questions are:
How often do you use the Celtic Cross for yourself?
How often do you use the Celtic Cross for others?
How would you use it if it were for practice only?

Tarot Orat

It's definitely not my go-to spread. I usually only use it for myself on New Year's and my birthday, and other major life events as they arise. If someone asks me for an in-depth reading, I'll use it for them. Most of the time, for both myself and others, I use smaller and less position-oriented spreads.

I did use it more often when I was first learning Tarot, not specifically because I'd been told to practice, it was just the only spread in the first Tarot book I had. It was hard to find Tarot books and the World Wide Web didn't exist yet, so for a long time that was the only spread resource I had.

I feel like it was probably valuable to learn it well, because I can do one now without having to try too hard to remember what all the positions mean. It's still a more complex and in-depth spread than I find useful for daily purposes, but I do believe it's valuable for special occasions or when an in-depth look is needed.

misser_piggit

Not too often. It is more than needed for daily tarot work ( I'm only reading for myself lately). I'm kinda feeling burn out on that spread so I've been not using it for quite awhile.

Ryver

I use it for general readings when I feel that asking specific questions might cause surrounding but important issues to be missed or if the person doesn't have a specific question. I think I've only done it once this year so far.

For practice reasons I can see how it would be good to do it for multiple people and situations since it does help you to explore the different ways to read the card's meaning in different positions and see how surrounding cards make them tell a new story. I used to do them more often, almost exclusively.

WolfyJames

Never, never and never. I did at first because I only knew 2-3 spreads, including the CC, but after coming here and seeing the spreads forums, I don't anymore. Now I either make my own spreads or use a spread here. I find the CC not practical at all and not usable for 99% of situations and matters.

caridwen

I have used the CC for about ten years on a regular basis. I use it to give me a snapshot of a situation and a general reading for clients.

I would not use it as a practise spread as it has too many cards. However if you are going to use it,then I would divide the spread up into Cross and Wands. The Cross is a nice 6 card spread giving insight into your situation. The wand can also be used as a four card spread in a straight line, great for EDs and seeing the flow of a situation from left to right. Once you feel competent using both sections then perhaps you can piece them together and start reading the whole spread.

There are just too many cards for a beginner.

AJ

In my 'vast' :) experience I've used the celtic cross exactly twice.
For most queries it is way more information that is useful.

tigerlilybug

Great insights! I do feel like when I very first started the amount of cards in front of me was too overwhelming. When I started the first book I memorized the positions by laying out cards and saying the positions not reading the cards then this past new year I did a celtic cross since my birthday is one day after new years eve I did one CC reading. Now that I grasp the cards better I thought should I be using this spread more often. But I too like WolfyJames prefer the spreads I have found here or make up my own although I wouldn't say I find it not practical I do think it's a little bit too much info though like I'm not sure it's necessary for me to know that much.

Is there a time frame with the CC as in does it tell the story up til the next new year, your next birthday, your next celtic cross spread or this will appear in your lifetime?

Gulliver

Very often. I can dive deep into the cards of the celtic cross which begin to tell a story. Like a little film, very inspiring.

PattyMc

I like to use it when I'm doing a reading for someone the first time, it gives me a general idea of what is going on with them.

After that I usually will use other spreads or no specific spread when reading for them, then maybe another CC once a year.

For myself, I like to do the Celtic Cross spread yearly, if that. I mostly throw a line of three or four cards when reading for me, but do enjoy different spreads and trying out ones that interest me.

I do think this spread is difficult for beginners, just too many cards and then toss in the variations of the Celtic Cross and it causes confusion. For practice I would just stick with a 3-4 card spread.

Patty