The Gothic Tarot by Vargo - IV The Emperor

Alissa

Interesting correlation Kittaine - but the Darkness link doesn't work for me. So, being the helpful moddy, I dug up this link to Darkness issue #7.

Wow... "Darkness" has a lotta babes... and yes, the postures and subject matter of both pictures are very similar.

This is just my guess, but I don't think Vargo was influenced by the comic in this particular instance, although it's not outside the realm of possibility, since both deal with Gothic subject matter. One or both artists may be aware of each other's work, but whether there is a direct cause and effect...? The cover art artist is Dale Keown, if I'm getting my on the fly reference work complete, and the Darkness cover art was published in 1997, says our Kittaine.

Vargo's Emperor card was originally based on (and titled) Dracula, hence one man shown with only three attendant women, not the harem of babes like Darkness. But, the girls in Darkness look very similar in body posture and placement to Vargo's Dracula. [Interesting to see how the lack of the steps in the Darkness cover really crowds up the ability to stack your models, and more effectively deal with space on the canvas].

Seated figures on thrones, particularly men, and yes above 5 steps, are seen again and again in the Vargo deck (5 swords, King Swords, etc) so I *wouldn't* think that it was the Darkness cover gave Vargo the inspiration to place his Dracula and wives with this prop.

And, more importantly, a close look at the Emperor card itself will show it bears an artist's signature, and date. I got my magnifying glass out, and still couldn't tell if it was "93" or "98". 1993 would pre-date the Darkness graphic novel by several years, I believe. And would likely point to Keown's being possibly influenced by Vargo's work, which is my gut instinct (no reason why).

Of course, '98 would be the year *after*... and the possibility of Keown's influence would be more plausible.

Kittaine

Great observation, Alissa! I didn't notice that there was a year on the Emperor card.

The artist who made the harem variant cover isn't Dale Keown. There were three artists, actually: Michael Turner (the penciller), D-tron (inks, maybe?), and J.D. Smith (colors). They all have their signatures on the cover, but only J.D. Smith includes the year, "'97".

This link shows another one of Mike Turner's work, and the picture that he modelled it from: http://195.241.101.14/Boomboom/image/ref/fathom01b.jpg

Hmmm... :D

Of course, artists do this alot. I just wonder if Vargo does read comics? :D Hehehe. Maybe I should ask him?

mercenary30

The Emperor

A huge throne, lined in blood red cloth seats the Emperor. He is the current leader of the clan. He is surrounded by his wives. The one on his left is fully corporeal, and the ones at his feet and on his right are partially in gaseous form. His familiars are also present; his wolf on his right, a raven roosted on the right side of the back of his throne, and on the left a couple of bats are flying. On the stairs leading up to the throne rests two skulls; one of them is in the grips of the vampires at his feet. A smear of blood is just below the skull in her hand.

The Emperor and his wives have just finished feeding on a victim, as evidenced by the blood on the stair. They now relax and are taking audience of their subjects. He is very powerful, but is displaying his preeminence by having his brood surrounding him. From this position of strength, he can intimidate those who seek his consultation. I feel as if I have been brought before him to explain myself, and my presence with in his realm. The threat goes unspoken, as anyone in this position can see what the options he has at his disposal are. Be careful what you may ask; all requests come at a price, and you may pay it whether you want to or not.

annik

I am attracted by this emperor. Maybe he is bored by the time to take this family picture. I feel he is a man of action : be it to charm a woman. do a duel or whatever get his fancy. Or he may take a moment to think before giving a answer to one of his subject...

For me, it's a card about decision making, action and somebody who think a bit before acting or saying something.

Deidrui

http://eyes.iris.ne.jp/majyutsudo/image/monolith/tarot/04-emperor.gif

I just love this card. I also have the poster to this card. Again, we see a Raven perched on the throne and a wolf next to the throne. To me this card seems to be saying that he is confident in his realm. He is the King of his home but he is also a kind man and loving man. He rules with logic and wisdom.

Emeraldgirl

I love this Emperor card but I don't think the women are his wives I think they are his court's concubines. That's why the Empress is so distressed :p He has power he has authiority but I think he has gotten slack over the years. If a challenger came for his throne he could be knocked off it although his reputation is such that no one would dare challenge him................yet

caridwen

This Emperor sits, his ring of power on cool display surrounded by the minions of his realm. He is encircled by all under his command. Around him are bats, a wolf, a raven and three female vampires, and around all, a fine mist. These are all symbols of the vampire and his various transformations. He can become bat, wolf or mist.

His cloak is lined with red silk, as is his waistcoat and family crest which rests against his chest. This is Dracula lord of the vampires surrounded by his three mistresses as portrayed in Bram Stokers' Dracula. The blood red of the cloak represents sexuality and passion. Dracula was written during the repressed Victorian era when there was much repression of sexuality and passion. It was relegated to the night, to darkness to uncontrollable urges, to animals all that was bestial within us. This emperor also sits on a blood red throne, his cloak flows like life blood. He controls life as well as death, skulls litter the steps and he sits on the fourth step. Relating this very much with earthly desires.

This Emperor lives amongst beasts, all of which he must control, he cannot relent or show mercy even if he was capable of such humanity. I imagine he would be ripped to shreds and quickly superseded. He has lived this long, centuries according to myth, because of his commanding presence. I'm sure in the book, he can control with his mind and read the thoughts of others. He overpowers the weak and one would have to be very strong to resist him. He, like an animal, leaps on weakness and devours it. He pats the wolf beside him to signify his power, the women faun over him likewise and are under the control of his will. They are his creations.

There is obviously a need to use the force of your will upon your situation because life would be chaotic without it. There is a need to reign in your lesser impulses, be reliable and responsible. I imagine though that it's lonely at the top. This Emperor is surrounded by sycophants and minions, he cannot show weakness.