Using astrology along with tarot cards

Ruby Jewel

Now that I'm getting back into reading tarot I really want to become a better reader. I was advised to use Astrology along side using tarot that it would help with my interpretations. Just wondering how many others use this technique and how does it work for you ?

Once you discover astrology, everything you do will be filtered through that wisdom. It is like adding an objective perspective to the way you see people. If you see your path in this lifetime as esotericism, there's nothing to lose, and everything to gain by learning astrology. It comes through in my tarot readings without even thinking about it....they fit together like a hand in a glove.

Rachx

Here are a couple of things forum member Richard posted a while ago that will give you someplace to start. I labeled the files "GD" (Golden Dawn) but they were put together using the Thoth correspondences. The only differences in the two systems (at least for this purpose) are the titles of some of the court cards and minor arcana.

Hi Barleywine

I have been using these charts and wondered if the knights vs kings were different and as I know RWS should I swap to Golden Dawn system?

Rachx

I fell in love with astrology and mythology years before I touched my first tarot card; I spent my adolescent years reading every astrology book I could put my hands on (and started with tarot only as young woman). In spite of my problems with maths, I had fat books with formulas and made everybody's birth map... loved it.

That knowledge sunk deeply, I'm far from versed in astrology and would find it difficult to interpret a birth chart today - but I still draw on my knowledge of planets and signs. I feel it helps to know the character of Sagittarius when I think about Temperance. And for the minors, the decans are definitely helpful.

It also helps to get a deeper understanding of the elements. Think of Fire. There's the initial burst of energy - that's Aries. There's the reliably burning flame - that's Leo. And there's the glowing warmth with sparks - that's Sagittarius. So what kind of element do we see in each card? The astrological attributions help.

BUT only if you're interested in astrology. I have always been fascinated with it, and for me, it's interesting stuff. I'm sure alchemy would help me tremendously but it doesn't fascinate me. So I read some books about it but my memory didn't hold on to it, and it's not useful to me.

So decide for yourself, give it a try. Either it resonates with you, then it's great. But if not? You can still be a great tarot reader without it.

The best book about tarot and astrology IMO is by Anthony Louis. I did read Ruth Aharoni and another one, can't remember the name, but Louis is really great.

Btw, I personally am also very interested in astronomy and am an avid stargazer. Seeing all the constellations of the zodiac actually in the sky over the course of a year is a humbling experience. Some of them you can really SEE: Scorpio, Taurus and Leo really LOOK like a scorpion, a bull or a Lion. Others are more difficult to see. But they're all wonderfully beautiful, and you see their path on the sky, always the same, where also Sun and Moon travel, and you feel connected to generations of humans.

These are not some theories someone invented once. These are about the first things humans noticed when they lifted their eyes from the earth. The stars and constellations, star observations and star lore are the seeds of all science, belief and culture.

So astrology IMO is not some sordid charlatanic business (although it can be and undoubtedly often is) but the deepest layer of knowledge and awe in all human cultures. So definitely worth getting to know not only for tarot but for its own sake.

IF you want to, of course.

Hi there so you mean "beyond the Tarot" by Antony Louis? I am reading that at the moment and trying to do some astrology stuff in my readings. I am trying to work out the relationships between the cards. For example sextile or conjunction and I wondered how you would prioritise in a reading/Tarot spread - thanks cx

rwcarter

Hi Barleywine

I have been using these charts and wondered if the knights vs kings were different and as I know RWS should I swap to Golden Dawn system?
In the Thoth, the Courts are Princess, Prince, Queen and Knight. So the Thoth Knight is equivalent to the RWS King. and the Thoth Prince is equivalent to the RWS Knight. Looking at the charts supplied by Richard through Barleywine, where it says King, you should replace that with Knight, and where it says Knight, you should replace that with King to get RWS Golden Dawn associations.

RWS and Thoth both use the Golden Dawn associations, but because of the different names of their Courts, you have to remember to make that change yourself. It would've been a little clearer if Prince has been used instead of King.

Rodney

Rachx

In the Thoth, the Courts are Princess, Prince, Queen and Knight. So the Thoth Knight is equivalent to the RWS King. and the Thoth Prince is equivalent to the RWS Knight. Looking at the charts supplied by Richard through Barleywine, where it says King, you should replace that with Knight, and where it says Knight, you should replace that with King to get RWS Golden Dawn associations.

RWS and Thoth both use the Golden Dawn associations, but because of the different names of their Courts, you have to remember to make that change yourself. It would've been a little clearer if Prince has been used instead of King.

Rodney

That makes sense now- thank you Rodney - I have another chart from a fellow AT forumite which is helpful and have read things now some that are a bit conflicting on what the aces and courts represent (i.e. Aces wands all fire signs in some cases and in others it's a mix) - but I now have a good "feel" for the ideas and keystones so the detail I will make my own based on experience of doing readings. It comes to personal intuition once the general ideas are there anyway I think. I have also got Tabula Mundi deck on Fools Dog App and I think that will help immensely. This is such an amazing forum I am so grateful for all the wisdom and expertise here. It's really a pleasure to learn. Thank you to everyone xxxx