The Spanish Tarot - historical deck.

kwaw

Le Fanu said:
The name Ottone or Ottoni springs to mind. And that definitely sounds Italian. Ive never quite understood why this deck is called Spanish, as I don't know where the Spanish connection comes in...

A 20th century reproduction by a spanish manufacturer* of an Italian deck based on a French model... To call it 'the Spanish deck' is something of a confusing misnomer I think...

* In 1868, Heraclio Fournier, descendant of renowned master printers of Paris, established and founded a small playing card factory in Vitoria, Spain...

sapienza

Le Fanu said:
Is this the deck which has the extra arm on the two children under The Sun?

It sure is.

Bernice

kwaw said:
A 20th century reproduction by a spanish manufacturer* of an Italian deck based on a French model... To call it 'the Spanish deck' is something of a confusing misnomer I think...

* In 1868, Heraclio Fournier, descendant of renowned master printers of Paris, established and founded a small playing card factory in Vitoria, Spain...
Cheers Kwaw. Mystery solved!

So this deck (which I've been enthusing about...lol ) just 'aint Spanish at all!
But I still like it :)

Bee :)

sapienza

I got this deck in a trade some time ago and haven't really had much chance to look at it until recently. My version of this deck has English titles only. I've seen scans with the titles in English at the top and Spanish at the bottom. On that version the pips have no titles and the Courts are in Spanish only. The English titles (ie. Knight of Pentacles) just annoy me too much to allow me to use the deck I'm afraid. But otherwise, I really like it.

Bernice

My version has the English and Spanish titles. And yes, the RW names are an irritation, but I ignore them. The images alone hold my attention.

....... just wondering if anyone has trimmed the titles off? I think it would spoil the cards - but you never know, someone may have attempted it.

Bee :)

mosaica

This is my favorite deck. The colors are so full of life. I have one (the Fournier, are there others?) with English and Spanish titles on the majors, Spanish on the courts, and no titles on the pips. (RWS titles would ruin it for me.) The cards are cream colored, the backs are tastefully neutral, and the card stock is very nice.

Le Fanu

How funny, that Spanish tarot with English titles! I can't quite imagine that. I bought mine 1980-something and it is totally Spanish!

Pentacles on a woodcut Marseilles deck. Psshhh!

mosaica

I got mine on ebay about a year ago. I guess I got lucky, but it looks just like the one sold at House of Tarot.

sapienza

I had a play around with this deck last night and was surpised by how much I like it.....despite the awful titles. I think I'll definitely keep my eyes open for a copy without the English titles.

Greg Stanton

The Spanish Tarot (Fournier) is my favorite, go-to deck. I love everything about it: the colors, the crudeness, the odd quirks, and the fact that you can read reversals on the pips if you want. May it never go OOP.