Thoth study group (Individual cards)

MystiqueMoonlight

As suggested by Moondust and Jewel I have began the first "new" thread for this study group. (I think)

I have never used the RW cards, but love the Haindl deck. The Thoth deck has been calling me for some time now and I have finally succumbed to it. "Inspiring".

Anyway my questions (in regards to a thread about individual cards) are
1. what do you guys think about the 3 interpretations of the Magus card?
2. Do you use all 3 cards in the deck to use in a reading hoping that only one will ever appear at any given time?
3. Does each different Magus card provide you with a unique meaning when you see them regardless of what any book may advise you?
4. Do you find it a hinderance personally that there are 3 different Magus cards?

I am so glad that this study group exists and look forward to participating further....

Blessed be

moondust

Not sure what you mean by 3 different Magus cards in the same deck?? or maybe I am misunderstanding your post?? LOL help me out.
moondust

Jewel

moondust said:
Not sure what you mean by 3 different Magus cards in the same deck?? or maybe I am misunderstanding your post?? LOL help me out.
moondust

Moodust, there is a version of this deck that comes with 3 Magus cards instead of 1. It will depend on which Thoth deck you are using whether you will have the additional cards or not.

Mystique, thanks for starting this thread!

Dragonfly

I also have a deck that has all three cards. I think the deck is meant to be read with only one Magus at a time. Unless someones heard different. Have a nice day. :)

MystiqueMoonlight

When I get my scanner operating again I'll post the 3 Magus cards for you all to see....

I hope this study group hasn't dropped away.....

moondust

MysticMoonlight, Dragonfly & Jewel. Thanks for clarifying. Hadn't heard of the deck with 3 Magus cards. Is the card drastically different or coloration only?? Can you give a summary of the 3 different meanings?? Are they really 3 different meanings, or a separation of the meanings already attributed to the card??
Interesting.
As far as the study group dropping away, there are at least 4 of us that looks like we want to continue, and hopefully others will come back once they see the posts.

moondust

MystiqueMoonlight

Well Moondust, I actually didn't realise that it was only one specific deck (the regualr size not the large one) that only had the 3 Magus cards in it.

I like this deck over the larger size one because the colours seem more vivid and the size is easier for me to handle and read with.

Anyway to answer your question the 3 different Magus cards are indeed unique to each other so far as the images are concerned. It is not just the colour but the actual central character and the ways the symbols are utilised on each card.

I'll try to explain by breaking each card into 1,2&3 (each card is still of course number 1 in the deck, effectively there are 3 Magus each at number 1)

1. This card has the glyph of mercury on the left and hebrew Beth on the right. The God Mercury is in the centre of the card (looks almost angelic to me) and yellowish/green in colour juggling the four symbols of the elements and looking with a smile over to the left side (at his right hand). The main background is blue and the Cynocephalus Ape is at the lower right hand corner looking up at him shaking his fist. The stave entwined with 2 serpents is above his head.

2. This card has the glyphs in the same place only the God Mercury seems to fill most of the card from top to bottom and is yellow. His arms juggling the elements seem longer and more tendril like whilst there is a large infinity symbol above his head. The Cynocephalus Ape is behind him as a large shadowy figure which seems to part of him almost spirit like. The stave and entwined with 2 serpents is between his legs and covers his "private" bits.

3. This card has the glyphs swapped around. The images appear stone like. The God Mercury is very Egyptian in appearance. He does not appear to be juggling any elements so much as running through the air with the symbols scattered around him. The Cynocephalus Ape is directly below him and looks like a stone statue rather than an interactive part of this card.

I kinda prefer the first Magus card or even the second one. The third doesn't do me any favours to be honest.

But because each of these cards are so unique to each other I was wondering what you all thought about them and you use them in your readings.

Perhaps I am the only one in this group so far with this set. Maybe we'll move onto another card?

blessed be....

moondust

Thanks MystiqueMoonlight ( I think I spelled your name wrong in other posts :( sorry)

Thanks for posting the descriptions. Don't move on to another card yet. Even if we all don't have that deck, I find it interesting that the deck was published that way.

Did they give any notes about it anywhere as to why they did that? Maybe there were different paintings originally. Or for any esoteric reasons, like manifesting on 3 different levels??

What are your thoughts on it, and how have you been working with it in the deck??

(be prepared I ask a lot of questions, always curious)
Have a nice day,
Moondust

Dragonfly

Hi everyone Here some infor. in regards to the three Magus I got this from Akron-Hajo Banzhaf The Crowley Tarot book. Werner Ganser was responsible for the new edition of the cards. He was looking at the original drawings and Lady Frieda Harris had painted three desings of the Magus card and Crowley only accepted one. But since the other two have a symbolic power Ganser added the two as collector's pieces and leaving the choice of which Magus to use to the buyer. Hope that helps.
Blessing to you all.

moondust

Dragonfly,
Thanks for the information.

moondust