Tarot Classic: Why does Kaplan say it's by Burdel?

Ross G Caldwell

Hi Lee,

Lee said:
Ross, despite whatever my initial phrasing was (all these years ago), I think the topic in general certainly encompasses all four decks (Tarot Classic, Schaffhouse, Gassmann, and Burdel), and as far as I'm concerned your scans aren't off-topic (I'm not a moderator, however). I enjoyed all the discussions and scans in this thread and, speaking personally, I appreciate everyone's contribution.

Sorry for the sarcastic comments earlier, to everybody. I really did take it that the question was a simple one, "what is the Tarot Classic based on?", and I thought that finding an actual Schaffhouse deck owned by Kaplan was quite a coup - but it seemed everyone took it for granted already, and I wondered why.

But absolutely, I am interested in the questions about the Müller firm and the derivations of the Gassmann and Schaffhausen decks and their relations to the Burdels. I'm hoping someone with a good command of German can help us out.

Ross

teomat

Thanks Ross and everyone for clearing this up. I would also be interested to see a English translation of the German text.

I like the Tarot Classic very much, though I agree US Games should correct the literature that accompanies this deck - it's very misleading to say it's based on a 1751 Burdel when it quite obviously is not (IMO anyway :D).

Yves Le Marseillais

BURDEL Facsimile in 2014

Hello all,

Your questions and comments I appreciate shows that my own task: Reproducing good quality facsimiles of historical tarot decks, is valuable and will slowly but surely help tarot amatores to have good bases for comparing decks and better understand what happened in Tarot history.

My next facsimile will be this super Claude BURDEL 1751 precisely. To be issued early 2014.

Salutations from Marseilles City

Yves

garmonbozia

Yves, there needs to be two of you so I can have these decks faster! :p

DeToX

I thought the Classic Tarot took elements from Burdel, e.g. the coins suite, which are virtual copies of Burdel. Also the deck has elements of the TdB of Jean Proche 1804, e.g. the hanging man. Gassman seems to be heavily influenced by Jean Proche if I'm not mistaken. Interesting to see the original colourings of the 'Classic Tarot' - don't know why we can't have that version instead of the two we have today, neither of which are satisfactory IMO.

Yves Le Marseillais

Speeding up

Yves, there needs to be two of you so I can have these decks faster! :p

Hello Garmonbozia,

I plan to speed up rhythm of production of facsimiles by:

Reducing cost of each deck production (2000 exemplary in place of 3000).

Engage next one (after Claude BURDEL 1751) pre production works and negotiations as to produce one deck every 8 months in place of a one year one deck rhythm.

So I am prospecting next decks and will travel and increase contacts for this.

Remember:
I am a Mat and it's not so frequent in this material world.

Have a nice Week End

Yves LM