XII- The Hanged Man, Merry Christmas!

Zephyros

Another way of looking at it is to consider the entire neighborhood of the path. The two triangles at the sides of Tiphareth would seem to show two aspects of the IAO formula, perhaps even the advent of the Aeon. On the left hand side we have the "classic" formula, with the HM as Osiris, Adjustment as Isis and the Devil as Apophis. I look at this as a rather depressing triangle, with the phallus reaching its end point, suffering, death and rebirth. This aspect of IAO can also be seen in the surrounding Sephiroth with Tiphareth ar Osiris, Geburah as Apophis and Hod as Isis. The general air is the same.

On the right hand side of the Tree, however, we have the active side of IAO, perhaps even the Thelemic updated formula. Taking the place of a watery Osiris is airy Fortune, leading one to assume that what powers the world now is not the sacrifice of the Sun but constant growth, in essence, Will. The Hermit takes the place of Isis (attributed to Virgo) and is another representation of the active attribute of the female archetype of the new Aeon. Rather than mourning, Isis is now a willing supplicant in the process. Death fits as Apophis, but the airy quality of its highest representatio (the eagle) would perhaps suggest that the Death of the old Aeon is merely a false perception and certainly isn't in line with the new figures who populate the formula.

Aeon418

Interestingly enough, I recall a nice quotation from The Angel and the Abyss you posted once I studied and found really helpful
Backing up Gunther's assertion that the Water is Blood is the fact that the Hanged Man's legs form the shape of the number 4. Add that to the cards Hebrew letter value, 40, and you get 44, DM - Blood.

Aeon418

From the figure's head spawn forth 18 green rays, connecting it to the serpent of Malkuth. 18 interestingly means "living". The 18th Path of the Tree is the Path of The Chariot.
The letter Tzaddi, fish-hook, is the 18th letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
Also the Hebrew for 'fishing', DVGH, is 18.

Another connection to Atu IV The Emperor?

Aeon418

I instictively thought that the Devil, the Hanged Man and Death are connected a long time ago, but now I see this connection in a way that clarifies it far better for me.
The Hanged Man represents L.V.X., Light in Extension. The Devil represents N.O.X., the Night of Pan. L.V.X. was the supreme formula of initiation in the Aeon of Osiris. But it has now been superseded by N.O.X.
The illumination of L.V.X. is the process of the Light entering into the structures of the mind and being clothed in perceptible form. But beyond the form giving structure of the Ruach there is even more light, but it is perceived as Darkness - The Devil.

On the Tree of Life the functions of these cards are somewhat similar. The Path of Ayin is where the Light of Tiphareth is clothed in the mental forms of Hod. The challenge of this Path is the acceptance of All reality. Not just 'cherry picking' the things we like, while shunning the things we don't like. But the realization of the unity of the One is a step towards the dissolution in the None.
The Path of Mem is where the watery illusion of individual, personality based will is manifested in the sphere of Hod. The challenge of this Path is the reversal of perspective. The recognition of the self as merely a vehicle of Universal Will. It marks the beginning of the transition from Hanged Man to No-Man, NEMO.

Owl Tarot

The Hanged Man represents L.V.X., Light in Extension. The Devil represents N.O.X., the Night of Pan. L.V.X. was the supreme formula of initiation in the Aeon of Osiris. But it has now been superseded by N.O.X.
The illumination of L.V.X. is the process of the Light entering into the structures of the mind and being clothed in perceptible form. But beyond the form giving structure of the Ruach there is even more light, but it is perceived as Darkness - The Devil.

On the Tree of Life the functions of these cards are somewhat similar. The Path of Ayin is where the Light of Tiphareth is clothed in the mental forms of Hod. The challenge of this Path is the acceptance of All reality. Not just 'cherry picking' the things we like, while shunning the things we don't like. But the realization of the unity of the One is a step towards the dissolution in the None.
The Path of Mem is where the watery illusion of individual, personality based will is manifested in the sphere of Hod. The challenge of this Path is the reversal of perspective. The recognition of the self as merely a vehicle of Universal Will. It marks the beginning of the transition from Hanged Man to No-Man, NEMO.

Interestingly enough, it is also nice to consider Tiphareth's God name at this point, Jenovah Eloah Va-Daath, "God Made Manifest in the Sphere of Mind". The Sphere of Mind is Hod! Both those Trumps, in their own way, are "world breakers", they present one who is united with his HGA thus making the ego's intellect uneasy. The one through realizing the beauty of existence (The Devil), and the other utilizing the power of Geburah to 'break" unnecessary forms of the mind.

Aeon418

Interestingly enough, it is also nice to consider Tiphareth's God name at this point, Jenovah Eloah Va-Daath, "God Made Manifest in the Sphere of Mind". The Sphere of Mind is Hod!
The same Hod-Mind through which the transformative Fire and Spirit of the Aeon (Path of Shin) manifests in the world of Malkuth.

I.N.R.I. - Igne Natura Renovatur Integra.

Owl Tarot

The same Hod-Mind through which the transformative Fire and Spirit of the Aeon (Path of Shin) manifests in the world of Malkuth.

I.N.R.I. - Igne Natura Renovatur Integra.

Interestingly enough, I.N.R.I. also translates to "Iēsus Nazarēnus, Rēx Iūdaeōrum", meaning the same thing, considering the nature of Tiphareth. Pointing right back at the Mysteries of the Crucifixion, one of the two Tiphareth's Visions.

Owl Tarot

This is one reason why the Hanged Man reflects the Devil in the Tarot of Thelema. Place the Atu XV above Atu XII and consider the following quote from, The Book of Lies:

I got back to do that now Aeon, since I am currently working on The Devil, and while meditating on this combo (The Devil, The Hanged Man and Liber 333-The Gun Barrel) I got such a clear idea of all the beauty there is in the multiple dynamics working together towards a common result: N.O.X.! It is so Magickal it has filled me with emotions of love for both cards, even more so then before! Really inspiring, it is!

I see a triangle there, formed by Atus VIII, XII and XV which add to 35, Agla (a name of God), limit and "he will go"! The Paths add to 71, dove (a symbol of Venus-Nuit), fullness, Vision among other meanings!