The W on the Ace of Cups

KariRoad

Marian Monogram - Miraculous Medal

I can well imagine Pamela Colman Smith would have been inspired by the history of this story.
Here's something I put together:

MWorwhat.jpg

--click on link to view--

In reference to The Ace of Cups and the Marian Monogram (Miraculous Medal).

Google
http://www.google.com/search?um=1&h...onogram+Miraculous+Medal&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw

Images - Marian Monogram Miraculous Medal
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&h...raculous Medal&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Abrac

I'm starting to think the "four streams" Waite was talking about are the four rivers of Eden. They played an important part in the teachings of the Golden Dawn and also in Freemasonry. From A Dictionary of Freemasonry by Robert Macoy:

"Rivers of Eden- The four rivers of Paradise had a reference to the cardinal virtues. In Pison, our first parents revered the fountain of prudence; in Gihon they beheld the sacred stream of justice. The rapid torrent of Hiddekel denoted fortitude, and the Euphrates the mild and steady current of temperance. Happy was their state, while these sacred truths continued to guide their actions; and the Mason will be equally happy who, through life, adheres to the lessons here inculcated. Instructed by prudence, guided by justice, strengthened by fortitude and restrained by temperance, like Adam in the garden of Eden, his services will be acceptable to the Diety."

The initials P.G.H.E. (for the four rivers) are sometimes seen on Masonic aprons and especially on those of the Order of the Free Gardners, a fraternal organization that closely mirrors Freemasonry.

It's hard to say why there's a discrepancy between what Waite wrote and what Smith painted. I wish I knew. I doubt it's an intentional misdirection, if that was the case Waite would have tried to conceal it by writing five instead of four. Based on the existing evidence, it seems that Smith (or someone) painted an extra one for some reason. Looking at the card, four of the streams look evenly proportioned, but the one touching the wafer looks a bit out of place.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the word Mystery was a favorite of Waite's and seems like as good an explanation for the M as any. He wrote of the Great Mystery from which we come and to which we shall one day return. :)

re-pete-a

perhaps it's as simple as the four suits and the Majors making up the five rivers of life all leading to the one source. Notice there's no disturbances upon the waters surface, indicating no resistances and a perfect melding.

re-pete-a

Abrac He wrote of the Great Mystery from which we come and to which we shall one day return. :)[/QUOTE said:
That would lead to the M and the W being indicators of the birth and death cycles

Abrac

Hi re-pete-a, I don't really see the W as meaning anything. A person looking at it and thinking it's a W could read whatever they want into it, but the truth is it's an M and that's where its meaning lies, to me anyway. :)

KariRoad

Abrac said:
...but the truth is it's an M and that's where its meaning lies, to me anyway.
Definitely, Abrac, I agree, and symbols take on a life of their own.
RakocziACECUPSrevealed.jpg

--- click on to view ---

Here, the overturned CUP suggests a reference to the Colman Smith ACE with dramatic possibilities, including letter 13 Mem (Water) for card XIII ;)

Noelle

... Some interesting thoughts expressed by many in this thread, as well as in the threads made reference to here. (Fulgour had some interesting things to say; some of which I myself had pondered about independently).

I feel the High Priestess and Ace of Cups imagery are strongly connected.

Noelle

KariRoad said:
Marian Monogram - Miraculous Medal

I can well imagine Pamela Colman Smith would have been inspired by the history of this story.
Here's something I put together:

MWorwhat.jpg

--click on link to view--

In reference to The Ace of Cups and the Marian Monogram (Miraculous Medal).

Google
http://www.google.com/search?um=1&h...onogram+Miraculous+Medal&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw

Images - Marian Monogram Miraculous Medal
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&h...raculous Medal&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

I also have also wondered whether there is an association with the water 'lilies' on the Ace of Cups and the fleur-de-lys symbol.