Collaborative Spread Creation #3 - Anniversary Spread

NorthernTigress

rwcarter said:
I've played around with both the positions and their layout to achieve a multi-layered spread. I'm mostly happy with it. The diagram's probably going to leave a lot to be desired, but consider it a circle.

1. What attracted the Querent to the Partner
2. What attracted the Partner to the Querent
3. What drew the couple together
4. What the couple has done to strengthen their relationship
5. A challenge the couple has faced in the previous year
6. Something positive that happened to the couple last year
7. The state of the relationship just before this anniversary
8. What keeps the couple together
9. What the couple needs to learn/do to keep the relationship strong
10. A challenge the couple may face in the coming year
11. Something positive that may happen to the couple in the coming year
12. The state of the relationship just before the next anniversary

1+2 - Initial Attraction
3+8 - Foundation of the Relationship
4+9 - Building the Relationship
5+10 - Challenges to the Relationship
6+11 - Positive Experiences
7+12 - Evolution of the Relationship

I'm not totally happy with the term "Positive Experiences" but I couldn't think of a good antonym for "Challenges"....

Rodney

Hey, yours looks a lot more like a real circle than mine did. ;)

I like the idea of the two "attraction" cards being in the middle.

rwcarter

Thanks NT. It was the only place they could be; otherwise they messed up the second layer of interpretation of the spread.

I still can't think of a better term than "Positive Experiences" but if you're happy with the spread, can we consider it completed?

Rodney

NorthernTigress

rwcarter said:
Thanks NT. It was the only place they could be; otherwise they messed up the second layer of interpretation of the spread.

I still can't think of a better term than "Positive Experiences" but if you're happy with the spread, can we consider it completed?

Rodney

Well, I used "positivity", which I'm not certain is even a word. I think it works the way it is. The rest is just semantics.

yirabeth

Hi -- I was directed to this thread from another, and had some questions about it. Rodney recommended I bring them here :)

I'm curious about the second set of numbers -- where you pair numbers up to get a third set of meanings from the cards. I'm curious how those would be read differently than their original meanings. For instance, 1 + 2 = Initial attraction. Say, for 1 you got the Empress and for 2 you got the King of Pentacles. "General" meanings would say, he likes your mothering him, she likes your income! (just generalizing, I know a real reading isn't gonna be that standard..lol) How would that be combined to make a third meaning? Or is it merely a matter of going deeper into the card and not using bog-standard meanings...(Intuition factor)Maybe it says, he'll keep you in diamonds as long as you coddle him and stroke his ego on a daily basis! hehe

Is this something that is commonly done with tarot spreads? Something I should focus on learning how to do?

Or is there a thread elsewhere that discusses this aspect of spreads?

~Yira

rwcarter said:
I've played around with both the positions and their layout to achieve a multi-layered spread. I'm mostly happy with it. The diagram's probably going to leave a lot to be desired, but consider it a circle.

1. What attracted the Querent to the Partner
2. What attracted the Partner to the Querent
3. What drew the couple together
4. What the couple has done to strengthen their relationship
5. A challenge the couple has faced in the previous year
6. Something positive that happened to the couple last year
7. The state of the relationship just before this anniversary
8. What keeps the couple together
9. What the couple needs to learn/do to keep the relationship strong
10. A challenge the couple may face in the coming year
11. Something positive that may happen to the couple in the coming year
12. The state of the relationship just before the next anniversary

1+2 - Initial Attraction
3+8 - Foundation of the Relationship
4+9 - Building the Relationship
5+10 - Challenges to the Relationship
6+11 - Positive Experiences
7+12 - Evolution of the Relationship

I'm not totally happy with the term "Positive Experiences" but I couldn't think of a good antonym for "Challenges"....

Rodney

rwcarter

yirabeth said:
I'm curious about the second set of numbers -- where you pair numbers up to get a third set of meanings from the cards. I'm curious how those would be read differently than their original meanings. For instance, 1 + 2 = Initial attraction. Say, for 1 you got the Empress and for 2 you got the King of Pentacles. "General" meanings would say, he likes your mothering him, she likes your income! (just generalizing, I know a real reading isn't gonna be that standard..lol) How would that be combined to make a third meaning? Or is it merely a matter of going deeper into the card and not using bog-standard meanings...(Intuition factor)Maybe it says, he'll keep you in diamonds as long as you coddle him and stroke his ego on a daily basis! hehe
Hi yirabeth! Glad to see you here.

So looking at positions 1 & 2, you have Querent's attraction to Partner and Partner's attraction to Querent. You're looking at each attraction in a vacuum when you look at the cards singly. But by comparing them together as 1 & 2, you get a better sense of the start of the relationship. If one person's attracted to the other based on love and the other person's attraction is based on sex or money, then that will tell you something about the start of the relationship that you might not have gotten from looking at the cards individually.

So in your example of Empress for his attraction and King Pentacles as her attraction, you have him attracted to her mothering/nurturing/maternal qualities and she's attracted to his ability to provide for their family. As a combined interpretation, I would see them as beginning on the same page or having a similar basis for their attraction to one another.

In this particular spread, looking at the pairs of cards provides an overview of the progression of the relationship, from what drew them to each other to the building up of the relationship through the good and bad times to what may happen in the future of the relationship.

yirabeth said:
Is this something that is commonly done with tarot spreads? Something I should focus on learning how to do?
Other than interpreting the cards, I don't think there's much that's "common" with tarot or with spreads! :) I love multi-layered spreads that allow you to interpret the cards individually and then in groupings for further insight.

yirabeth said:
Or is there a thread elsewhere that discusses this aspect of spreads?

~Yira
Hmmm.... I honestly don't know if such a thread exists. This particular spread was built with the multi-layering in mind. Not every spread is built that way. But you can find some of this multi-layering in spreads that weren't intended for it by looking for predominant numbers or a predominance of a particular suit or a predominance of Court cards. I did a reading for someone here that was 10 cards in a pyramid shape. There were only Water and Fire cards in the reading. In looking deeper at the cards after interpreting them individually, I noticed that the Water cards formed the lambda symbol. I didn't know what that meant, but it was relevant to the person the Querent was interested in. I did another reading for a non-AT friend about their love life and there were a lot of Court cards in the reading. As an overall impression, I took that to mean that there were lots of folks involved in this person's love life (and probably more folks than needed to be involved)....

Does any of the above help you understand this better?

Rodney

yirabeth

rwcarter said:
Other than interpreting the cards, I don't think there's much that's "common" with tarot or with spreads! :)

Hehe, really good point!

rwcarter said:
Hmmm.... I honestly don't know if such a thread exists. This particular spread was built with the multi-layering in mind. Not every spread is built that way. But you can find some of this multi-layering in spreads that weren't intended for it by looking for predominant numbers or a predominance of a particular suit or a predominance of Court cards. I did a reading for someone here that was 10 cards in a pyramid shape. There were only Water and Fire cards in the reading. In looking deeper at the cards after interpreting them individually, I noticed that the Water cards formed the lambda symbol. I didn't know what that meant, but it was relevant to the person the Querent was interested in. I did another reading for a non-AT friend about their love life and there were a lot of Court cards in the reading. As an overall impression, I took that to mean that there were lots of folks involved in this person's love life (and probably more folks than needed to be involved)....

Does any of the above help you understand this better?

Rodney

Actually, yes it does :) In reality it's "kind of" what I'm trying to do when I read -- see what's behind the meaning of the card, how they interact etc. (with varying degrees of success, I'll admit...hehe) Even seeing how pictures interact and seeing beyond the first layer of image, etc. Like the reading where 3 of 4 cards had water in them -- and lots of it! Pointing me to the emotional aspect of the question.

I do still find the whole idea fascinating, and while I'm not really doing spreads yet (just figuring out the proper questions is my goal, set-up oriented anyway) I do like the positions set up like that. I will keep this in mind for when I do feel I should make my own spread...

It is my opinion that the above spread would work as well for a troubled relationship as one that is not? Do you see that as being possible?

~Yira

rwcarter

yirabeth said:
It is my opinion that the above spread would work as well for a troubled relationship as one that is not? Do you see that as being possible?
With a little tweaking, yes. Reword position 7 to be "The current state of the relationship." And reword 12 to be "Future outlook of the relationship if nothing changes."

Rodney

Luna's Crone

Why do we need so much information, why does the spread have to be this big. Some spreads i have looked at seem to be much bigger with data overload of things really not needed in the spreads.

rwcarter

Why do we need so much information, why does the spread have to be this big. Some spreads i have looked at seem to be much bigger with data overload of things really not needed in the spreads.
Some people like big spreads. The person who asked for this spread was fine with it having so many cards, so mission accomplished.